Uncarrier 12! No Data Buckets! (Updated 8/29/2016)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Uncarrier 12! No Data Buckets!

Dropping to 2G speeds being possible after 26 GB (in congestion) and having all tethering throttled to 2G speeds is very strange. And the $25 extra fee per person in order to get LTE speeds for video is definitely uncool, as it's totally killing the value. At $65 per person for a family of 4 (their example, not sure how that breaks down) it's $17.50 more expensive than Verizon's 24 GB plan, which includes rollover, doesn't throttle tethering or video and better coverage in most places seems to make Verizon's bucket of 24 GB a better value than TMO's faux unlimited.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

TMO has a different plan, $50 per person for two people or $100 for actually unlimited data with the first 7GB of tethering included at LTE speeds . So why would I want to pay $15 more per month per person to have these restrictions that kill the point of "unlimited"?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'll keep my unlimited HD all I want for no extra fee plan. The 2 lines for $100 deal they did before :).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

The 2G tether... I suspect the reason for that is eliminate people using their phone's unlimited plans as their home WIFI.

As for the congestion, its not a lie... I know a few people who have gone way past that limit and have never seen any type of throttling... so here, T-Mobile sticks to their word that it will only occur while your network segment is congested.

And at $40 per person (for family of 4), they each get unlimited LTE data.. even if they are on a busy segment 24/7, EACH person gets 26G a month, not sharing 24G through all 4 lines. And if they all buy the $25 HD LTE video upgrade, THEN they pay $17.50 total more.. but they still get over 4 times the aggregate data.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

T-Mobile is promoting this with no limits on Twitter. I called them out on and it said they are limiting it by giving DVD quality unless you pay more plus paying even more for tethering. I got no comment from them.

I have 5 lines for $140 with 10GB each and 20GB data bucket for each that I will never use because I have so much data already and I can tether.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

No buckets, and no net neutrality. If reddit is to be believed, FCC complaints are already getting filed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

This is a huge suckfest from a NN standpoint. From a " is this good for most consumers" standpoint, sounds pretty decent.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

The 2G tether... I suspect the reason for that is eliminate people using their phone's unlimited plans as their home WIFI.

They already had measures in place: 7GB or 14 GB tethering limits, depending on which unlimited plan you have. Plus anyone circumventing the ToS gets booted.

This is a huge suckfest from a NN standpoint. From a " is this good for most consumers" standpoint, sounds pretty decent.

I'm not sure if we can says 'most.'

-This makes Binge On mandatory, with a $25 opt-out fee. No' dial a short code to toggle.'

-$15 for HS tethering. And since there's only one data tier now, everyone who wants >2G tethering will have to pay.

Edit: also, Music Freedom is apparently going away?

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Well even if Music Freedom goes away, do you really stream that much music that makes a big enough dent in your data to worry about it? With your standard usage and music streaming will you go over 26GB a month regularly? I'm honestly thinking about switching to this plan. I'm currently on the 6GB 2-12 line family plan. And this plan would cost us roughly the same each month but allow unlimited data as well.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I have a nice expensive phone with a great screen, not sure why i have to pay 25 more a month to have hd quality resolution if i already have an unlimited plan. I am not a fan of that.
I have 4 lines unlimited for 150, if they were to force migrate me to one of these new plans i would not be happy.
I hope they grandfather us 2/100 and 4/150 plans for a long while.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I have 4 lines unlimited for 150, if they were to force migrate me to one of these new plans i would not be happy.
I hope they grandfather us 2/100 and 4/150 plans for a long while.

Didn't Legere at one of the events say that everyone's plans and prices were guaranteed "for life," except for unlimited plans, which would remain guaranteed untouched for two years only?

Tech2011

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Let's all just admit that this "Uncarrier" 12 announcement is T-Mobile's way of becoming exactly like Verizon and AT&T. Like seriously, you have to pay $25/month to disable Binge On with this new plan and you have to pay an additional $15/month if you want WiFi hotspot at LTE speeds. This is ridiculous.

So much for T-Mobile being the "Uncarrier." That is just nonsense now. Absolute nonsense.

This makes me consider switching to AT&T now, since they have way better coverage and they finally ditched overage fees...and not in the stupid way that Verizon allegedly "eliminated" their overage fees. AT&T did it right. I have found a plan on AT&T that will get me the same amount of data at a much cheaper rate than this new T-Mobile "One" plan.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Let's all just admit that this "Uncarrier" 12 announcement is T-Mobile's way of becoming exactly like Verizon and AT&T. Like seriously, you have to pay $25/month to disable Binge On with this new plan and you have to pay an additional $15/month if you want WiFi hotspot at LTE speeds. This is ridiculous.

So much for T-Mobile being the "Uncarrier." That is just nonsense now. Absolute nonsense.

This makes me consider switching to AT&T now, since they have way better coverage and they finally ditched overage fees...and not in the stupid way that Verizon allegedly "eliminated" their overage fees. AT&T did it right. I have found a plan on AT&T that will get me the same amount of data at a much cheaper rate than this new T-Mobile "One" plan.
No. This is much worse than Verizon. This is horrible.

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

The $25 doesn't disable BingeOn, it allows BingeOn at full HD.

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Wait, so you're saying for $25 they'll still be serving up HD videos at 1.5mbps?

No, $25 allows full HD but it still won't count toward your data usage. T-Mobile will throttle the top 3% of users going over 26GB a month, so they allow you to spend an additional $25 a month to have full HD BingeOn.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

No, $25 allows full HD but it still won't count toward your data usage. T-Mobile will throttle the top 3% of users going over 26GB a month, so they allow you to spend an additional $25 a month to have full HD BingeOn.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Are you saying that they're giving unlimited HD video for $25 that won't count towards the "de-prioritization" cap? So 26GB for everything else, but truly unlimited HD? That doesn't make sense, considering they're capping the $15 hotspot add-on at 5GB...

Plus right now, doesn't Binge On video still count towards your data albeit since it's 480p and not 1080p or better, it takes longer to get to the cap?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user