"unfortunately contacts has stopped working" -- grrr

morris66

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I went to 3 different Verizon stores and the last one talked to tech somewhere in some far away tower--
they claimed the only thing that would work would be a factory data reset--which I did. Problem quickly came back. Dug into this thread and saw the thing about deleting the voice mails. Tried it and it immediately worked--even without rebooting. Then I saw the thing about the 3 digit phone call and it struck a note. I had a weird call from 697 right before the issue and it showed on voice mail. Someone on another thread claims its from a democratic fund raising group.

Cake Princess

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Just replying here to offer my own solution (after all the other ones in the thread didn't work for me).

It's certainly odd, but I'm using a (very) old version of Android which doesn't have most of what the guys here have. It's a phone simply intended to be a phone, so there's no Internet access.

Anyway, when I went to all of my apps, I deleted all of my data for both the Contacts and Contacts Storage apps, and then forced them both to stop. Then, I opened up the Contacts app again to restart it, and the error stopped occurring.

I've had this issue in the past as well, where sometimes certain numeric combinations might've been saved as an erroneous contact, causing Contacts to misbehave. But that time, a full reset fixed it.

Certainly YMMV, but if you don't mind spending some time to backup your contacts list, give it a shot.

Claudialena

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
It happened to me, I did everything, call Tmobile, tried everything, even reset the phone and lost a lot of things.... but finally got it.
Go to settings and under -Personalization- change to standard mode.
once changed it, the message disappeared for me. If I go back to easy mode, the message will come back.

Hope this works for you too.

Dotmunson

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
So this just started last week. Seems to do it either when i unlock my screen or just at random. I havent changed anything, and i have done a cache partition clear to see if that would help and it hasnt.

Any ideas? Verizon note 4, not rooted, no launchers.

Verizon Note4 w/ Tech 21 case

I think I saw something about contacts being updated to fix "the problem". I think we've tried it all and we just have to wait. I'm thinking of taking my ph into Tmoble and I probably will but thinking they don't have a fix either.

What I did figure out though, is that I can ADD a contact to MY FAVORITES to be able to call them....if that helps anyone, I'm glad :)

-dot

Last edited by a moderator:

Louise Belcher15

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. Alot of people said deleting voicemails worked, others said Google+ was the problem so they disabled it. But nothing worked for me so I went into:
1. Google+ App
2. Account settings
3. Clicked contacts
4. Clicked Keep contacts up to date

After this I clicked on contacts once more and it worked perfectly again. I hope it works for anyone else if nothing else worked either.