USB PC connection stopped working

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I use the USB cable to transfer files between my android devices and a PC. Some time in the last month or two, it stopped working on my N7. (I haven't used that feature lately) Windows 7 doesn't show the connection when I plug the N7 in via USB. Same PC and cable works with my Droid Razr Maxx (shows the drive and copy/move works). I'm running 4.2.2 JB on my N7 and ICS 4.0.4 (iirc) on my phone. I've power cycled PC and N7. I verified that MTP is checked on the N7 (settings/storage/USB storage). Tried a different USB port on the PC. It's possible I haven't tried this prior to the 4.2.2 update but I can't say for sure.

Anyone seen this problem?

wildblue

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar issue. When I connect my cable to a charger it works just fine, but when I connect it to a computer it's no longer recognized. So far I've tried three different cables and none of them get me a data connection, but they all let the tablet charge. I've tried plugging it into a Mac and a Windows 7 PC and it doesn't show up on either one. Is it a faulty USB port or is it an Android issue?

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, first time poster on this side of the Central forums...

I've been having similar issues with my daughter's N7 too. I can't tell exactly when it started as it's not a feature she uses much. However, I can definitely recall seeing the N7 in Windows Explorer after connecting to USB. I thought that it may be something to do with the recent-ish 4.3 update but the OP has been having the problems on 4.2.2.

I've tried different cables but the result is always the same. The device charges but there's no sign of life in Windows...it doesn't even make the connection/disconnection noise. I've checked the device manager for any sign of problems but there's nothing. I've even removed any trace of the N7 from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Class & Enum keys/subkeys (backing them up first of course). I've rebooted both my computer and the N7 a number of times and I've also tried on another computer but the result is the same. I tried both the mtp and ptp settings in the usb connection options and also disabled usb debugging.

After using Airdroid to back up her photos, videos etc, I decided to perform a factory reset but unfortunately, that did not fix the issue.

Is there anything else I can try please?

Last edited:

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm all out of ideas. Have tried resetting a few times but the result is always the same.

Have contacted ASUS to request an RMA.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd give an update.

ASUS agreed to an RMA after a couple of emails to confirm that I had tried everything else in terms of troubleshooting.

Sent the Nexus off last Friday (6th Sept) and the tracking and RMA status confirmed that ASUS received it on Monday (9th Sept). Amazing, I got it back the next day. That is some turnaround. Very impressive!

The MicroUSB has been replaced and it connects to Windows without any problems now so I spent the remainder Tuesday and some of yesterday setting it up again for my daughter with the added bonus of being able to copy some of her favourite films to the Nexus so she can watch them anytime she likes on MX Player.

Result = Very happy daughter!

The only downside is the USB cable that ASUS sent back doesn't work but I'm sure they can send another if I ask nicely :)

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
OMG..she's only gone and dropped it and the screen is cracked!

I gather this isn't covered by warranty either which is a shame.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much this will cost to repair officially by ASUS and also roughly how much it will cost to repair myself including parts etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danny2024