Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. My quick survey of plan offerings used a different page, apparently listing only on-contract device charges.

I really haven't followed cell phone plans much because I was dumb and happy with the UDP. You pointing out that both AT&T and Verizon do this made me investigate more carefully. I enjoyed a few hours today of incorrectly thinking that a phone subsidy, which we could possibly get if we went off UDP and onto another plan, was some kind of lucky bonus. Instead, it's just give and take: they give a phone subsidy for signing a 2-year contract, and they take a higher monthly device charge to make up for the subsidy. No free lunch.

Over the life of that 2-year contract, in order to get that phone subsidy, you've paid an extra:
- $480 on Verizon ($20 more/mo.)
- $360 on AT&T 5GB or less plan ($15 more/mo.)
- $600 on AT&T 15GB or more plan ($25 more/mo.)

The table has been corrected to reflect what you said (VZW charges a straight $20 more of a device charge for on-contract customers). Thanks again.

No Problem! I was just making the following point to one of my friends about buying phones on a 2 year contract with any of the carriers now a days. It just doesn't pay to do it. Lets say for example you want a new phone and you go in looking for a 2 year contract and a subsidized price on the phone. Say you like the DROID MAXX. Retail price for that phone is $408. The price for access to the calling plan is $40/mo (an extra $20 above what it would cost for access to the plan if you had just bought it outright). Over the life of the 2 year contract it would cost you $480 extra because of the $40 charge instead of the $20 charge. In this case even if they gave you the phone for free you would be spending $70 more than if you had just paid for the phone outright or gone on one of their monthly payment plans.

This even works for the more expensive phones.

The 16GB iPhone 6s Plus retails for $749. My guess is that on a 2 year contract they would offer you that phone for $299 (I'd be shocked if they offered this at $199) plus charge you $40/mo to access the plan. That would mean the total cost would be $299 + 480 = $780. Just doesn't make sense anymore.

Neera42

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As much as an extra $20 will hurt each month, it's still better than not having unlimited data at all anymore. I'm determined to keep my UDP for as long as I can. :)

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
If there were more competition in the wireless market, I would agree. The high barriers to entry make effective competition impractical.

there are dozens of MNVOs to the 4 main carriers

many of the MNVOs offer plans at half the price of the large carrier they affiliate with

more competition would always be good

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
MNVOs aren't competitors in a true sense. And bargain pricing from MVNOs hasn't sent Big Four subscribers racing to the exits. I remain skeptical that wireless services are a competitive market. It's an oligopoly. The few carriers holding most of the spectrum licenses control the market. We should start an Indiegogo to buy spectrum.

qbot101

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Just did a rough calculation with my discounted voice plan (450 min Nationwide plan, unlimited data, and 1000 texts) plus my non discounted 2GB plan for my tablet, vs the 18GB plan... With all the discounts factored in (almost $14 total) and soon to be $20 data fee, I'd be paying a whopping $1 more for unlimited data. May as well keep the unlimited data. I can find a phone somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jrv331

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Just trying to figure this out. Ive been out of contract for years on the UDP. Right now with my employee discount I pay
Line Access= $9.99..Email & Web Unlimited =$29.99...22% Feature Dscnt - Account= -$6.60, basically 34.00 a month for my line. So if my line goes up another 20 a month Im still way ahead than switching carriers. What am I not seeing here? I have the 1400 nationwide talk/text plan and with discount its only 75 a month. I have 4 lines total and mine is the only UDP.
Thanks

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

Yep this will be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I've been thinking about going to AT&T and bundling it with my DirecTV for several months now because Verizon's service at my home and my work is total ****e! So if my bill is going to go up another $20 for service I can barely use then peace out! All they want is to find new ways to screw loyal clients!

I'm sure someone has told you this already, but AT&T will give you up to $500 in bill credits and trade in cards if you port your number and buy a new phone on AT&T Next when you have existing or new DirecTV (or U-verse TV) service.

Could help pay for those new phones. Just a thought.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
MNVOs aren't competitors in a true sense. And bargain pricing from MVNOs hasn't sent Big Four subscribers racing to the exits. I remain skeptical that wireless services are a competitive market. It's an oligopoly. The few carriers holding most of the spectrum licenses control the market. We should start an Indiegogo to buy spectrum.

The MNVOs aren't price competitors????
This must come as a shock to the owners who sell them their spectrum access.

Since this has now become a posting of opinions devoid of facts I'll excuse myself.
The sky is falling and the end is near.
Enjoy

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Oh I know. I wouldn't use AT&T Next though. I bought the new NEXUS 6P before this was even announced. Luckily it's compatible with AT&TI think the bill credits apply even without using AT&T Next though...

hanielserrato

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

So I've watched lots of netflix after midnight and am streaming youtube videos all day today. Lets see how much data racks up by the end of the day.

anon(9557885)

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I Remember This Very Well. Calling, Texting Cost Sometime To Even Use. Damn, I Remember When My Folks Yelled At Me For Going Over Our Texting Plan Budget. Now It's Free, As Calling Is.

Verizon Likes Money, They Will Change Things No Matter What.

And With That, T-Mobile Is Looking Sweet.

anon(9557885)

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

I'm sure someone has told you this already, but AT&T will give you up to $500 in bill credits and trade in cards if you port your number and buy a new phone on AT&T Next when you have existing or new DirecTV (or U-verse TV) service.

Could help pay for those new phones. Just a thought.

AT&T... LOL.

Trips

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
They most likely will make you download and install a bloatware app that tells you. It will be something you never use or want but makes you download the updates everyday telling you that you are using to much data so they need to charge you more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware