Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I've been on unlimited for years. I last upgraded just before they stopped offering unlimited. I've had an upgrade available for over a year so I've been paying the subsidy price month-to-month. I typically only use a little less than 2GB/mo without ever using WIFI. However, sometimes I travel or go somewhere that has really crappy WIFI or none at all so I tether causing my data to go way up. This month I'm over 10GB.

I want to be on verizon or att because I do travel alot so I need to have a reliable connection.
I don't think its worth another $20/mo to keep so I'm thinking about my options.

1. Pay the $20/mo, drop my home internet, and tether all the time. Sounds nice but I don't know how practical this is. When I tether it isnt really that reliable. Maybe if I bought a cell router appliance

2. Project Fi sounds promising. Its not verizon or att but maybe tmobile+sprint will equal and best verizon or att's coverage. I like the pricing. The main issue is I don't like the phones. Also don't have an invite. I also do travel internationally 3x a year so it can come in handy but not really a big deal

3. I'm paying $55/mo, I can switch to $60/mo for 2gb and keep verizon

4. Verizon prepaid, will offer me 2.5GB for $60/mo.

5. ATT will offer me 2gb with rollover for $55/mo

6. ATT prepaid will offer me 4gb with rollover for $55/mo (not sure why prepaid is so much cheaper)

If I switch to ATT, I'll need to buy a new phone. I was planning to buy one anyways though and was already thinking of dropping unlimited because its hard to find a phone that works with verizon AND has GSM for global.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any comments/recommendations. Verizon's announcement really caught me off guard. I haven't researched this stuff for a long time.

Verizon's current major post paid devices all have gsm radios and are factory sim unlocked.

You can use a jetpack which can be used for unlimited data on the go and at home. You can also use the jetpack with dock which has ethernet out so works good for home Internet.

uploadfromtaptalk1445012992193.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well the statement they sent out was pretty much the confirmation.

Agreed, I contacted corporate to see about adjusting my calling plan. The kind fellow took the opportunity to assure me that the announced rate increase on UDPs is correct. It was very thoughtful of him . . .

eng3

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Depending on how many months you go north of 3 GB, you could always go with a new no-contract Verizon data plan as your base plan, e.g., the 3 GB for $65/mo. ($45 + $20 smartphone charge). Then for the high-usage months, do as says:

"Switch sizes anytime. If you need more data, you can switch sizes any time. And if you’d rather not switch, each extra GB is only $15."​

So it's $65 for most months, then $100 or $120 (12 GB or 18 GB) for the high-usage months.

Since I usually use less than 2GB it doesnt seem like a good deal considering I could switch to ATT prepaid and get 4GB for $55/mo.

On Project Fi, I don't think invites are difficult to get. I signed up about 10 days ago, and my invite dropped literally as I started writing this message. So I don't think it takes very long.

On international travel, T-Mobile provides great service. I've used it in quite a few places around the globe and been very satisfied. Of course, if T-Mo doesn't meet your domestic needs, that's not much use.

I'm not sure what kinds of phones you prefer, but I've used global phones from Verizon for several years. It's much, much easier to get a global phone now. Pretty much all of the mainstream smart phones have GSM for global. And now you have options like Nexus and Moto X which work with all US carriers.

I don't think T-mobile would meet my domestic needs, but Project Fi is suppose to combine Tmobile and sprint. I dont know if the two networks added together is equal or greater than just ATT or Verizon. Many VERIZON phones arent global. I am using the Droid Incredible 4g lte now and it happened to be global. I just get a sim card but it can be a hassle sometimes. Sometimes they dont have the right size (micro) or the pin wont work. My parents like to take cruises where they are in a diff country every day. It wouldnt be practical to get a sim for every port and it would be expensive to get one that works on FI so that may be an option for them.
I don't like big phones so if I got Fi, I'd have to get the 5X. The main issue there is no card slot and 32gb is not enough for me. I'm trying to figure out of the Huwai P8 would work on Fi so that may be an option.

This is all intermingled with me wanting to get a new phone as well but I didnt want to get too complicated on this post. Maybe I should have done a new thread.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I happened to call a month ago because I was interested in a new 2 year contract to get a discounted phone. At the time they figured out a new plan to compare prices. It was significantly more for way less data but they offered to double the data because I have been a VZW customer almost since VZW opened for business. (Suitcase phone)

Last night I called again to confirm price increase and check again on prices. They hadn't changed but they would no longer double my data on any plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note lease do not discuss buying or selling of accounts

bulabula

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I bailed a few days ago. I should have dropped Vz wireless a long time ago - those extra costs over the past years could have paid for a vacation in Cancun. Plus, the phone call quality here in the Washington DC and Baltimore area is better since I left Vz and went to Cricket.

Unsubscribing and moving on with a huge smile on my face. :)

avid

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I bailed a few days ago. I should have dropped Vz wireless a long time ago - those extra costs over the past years could have paid for a vacation in Cancun. Plus, the phone call quality here in the Washington DC and Baltimore area is better since I left Vz and went to Cricket.

Unsubscribing and moving on with a huge smile on my face. :)

Nice one, I feel the same. I'm thinking about MetroPCS!!! Move on and be done with this bs.

otwok

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I currently on contract till 12/27 with udp, is there anyway to extend my contract early keep udp and not be charged the 20 dollars hike?

kenshell

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
My two UDP lines are out of contract :(...

Wonder if i can i do a bestbuy upgrade and then sell the phones and keep my unlimited for 2 year contract??

I mostly use 5gb per month with my UDP and my wife uses slightly more...

If that does not work I guess I will now give my 10 year old my UPD with my number and let her do what she does best.. use data. lol

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I currently on contract till 12/27 with udp, is there anyway to extend my contract early keep udp and not be charged the 20 dollars hike?
Call Verizon. They can extend your contract. Ymmv.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
On that note, they say you're able to do upgrades again once this kicks in. So does that mean I can go to Best Buy once they offer the Note 4 for less than I can buy it on Swappa FFS, and just upgrade normally on my line, instead of gaming/tricking the system?

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
On that note, they say you're able to do upgrades again once this kicks in. So does that mean I can go to Best Buy once they offer the Note 4 for less than I can buy it on Swappa FFS, and just upgrade normally on my line, instead of gaming/tricking the system?
If I'm reading and understanding this situation correctly it means they are going to give you the "privilege" of updating by:

- Letting you purchase devices at full price via the device payment plan.
- Never removing the device subsidy that is buried in your current monthly charge.
- Adding an extra $20 dollars per month for the "privilege".

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Except I dont currently have a device subsidy. I got my Note 2 two years ago on my mom's dumphone line, then just moved it to mine so I could keep my UDP. If I can't just upgrade normally via Best Buy on my line, then hell with it, I'll just wait till there's a good sale on the Note 4, get it on my mom's line, move it again to mine, and then just buy her a older Iphone on Swappa or something.

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Except I dont currently have a device subsidy. I got my Note 2 two years ago on my mom's dumphone line, then just moved it to mine so I could keep my UDP. If I can't just upgrade normally via Best Buy on my line, then hell with it, I'll just wait till there's a good sale on the Note 4, get it on my mom's line, move it again to mine, and then just buy her a older Iphone on Swappa or something.
If you are paying for service under the old pricing models then there is a subsidy fee baked in. That's how the old contracts worked. You purchased a device at less than retail prices because a portion of your monthly fee subsidized the cost. But when the contract was over Verizon kept charging the full amount.

The newer contract options provide you with a credit for bringing your own device or after your contract term is up. But none of these are available if you have a UDP plan. So you are paying a subsidy.