Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

This was inevitable and hardly surprising. In Verizon's eyes, they don't care if you use 1GB, 5GB or 500GB on unlimited, its the fact that they can't force you into their cookie cutter data plans and rake you for every dollar you have on overages. For me I had to give up unlimited a very long time ago when I was still on Verizon. I lived in the rural area not served by High Speed Internet of any type other than 3G Cellular and eventually 4G Cellular which still wasn't that fast. So I had to go with a family plan back then. Oddly today I have 15GB AT&T plan that we barely use 7-10GB of, but when you balance out the cost and extra AT&T discounts on Edge, etc it works out for us.

For those facing a higher price or moving to another data plan, consider moving to another carrier, Verizon's claims are not what they used to be and on AT&T I have hardly the complaints I ever did on Verizon. Their Edge plan sucks (unless you use an iPhone) where you cant upgrade for 18 months or 75% paid off on the device.

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, in my circumstance, I was having problems with my home internet carrier, century link, do i quit them just last month and made my wife's Verizon phone a hot link for our home computer. Two-three weeks later, I receive the message about our unlimited plan eventually going away.😕. Just can't win.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I got to talk to one of their agents online and complained about this. She gave me a special deal of unlimited EVERYTHING (up from my 450mins/month with unlimited text and unlimited data) for another year after my bill on the 20th. Good deal or nah? Cause I was about to tell her that I'm leaving for Tmobile and buy me a Nexus 6P or go to Project Fi with it instead of TMobile.

^^^^ I think this is the "deal".

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

And did you have something special in your usage, like maybe you're a light data user?

Was there anything in particular that you said to the agent, which you think got her to offer the deal? (Obviously, we want to know as much detail as we'll need so we can try to squeeze out a deal too.)

Thanks.

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Like somebody else asked, is there a way to turn your current account to a business account. I have an Employer ID (TIN). Thanks.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Price not withstanding, most of us stay with VZ due to their coverage. I can travel end to end in Arizona and not drop a call. Yes, some of you will say that you have no problems with carrier X, but I think that 75% of those here will agree that they have had fewer connection issues with Verizon over any other carrier.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. And this increase is the first of several leading up to the elimination of UDPs by 2018. A good thing for 99+% of users.

Is the 2018 date known? Or just one's prediction?

Not at all being confrontational, but if the 2018 date has some good possibility, I may leave UDP now and save money, since I'm a light data user, and my desire to hold onto it is for some not-very-likely "just in case" scenario.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Is the 2018 date known? Or just one's prediction?

Not at all being confrontational, but if the 2018 date has some good possibility, I may leave UDP now and save money, since I'm a light data user, and my desire to hold onto it is for some not-very-likely "just in case" scenario.

They have been wanting to get rid of those on UDP for years now and they continue doing more and more to get those off UDP's. It won't be long until they do something else to force users off. This is just one more thing in the long list of things verizon started doing a few years back to try and get users off UDP.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Is it still a good deal after the $20 increase? I guess it's still not bad if you use that much data. Should we be happy with it? Absolutely not. If you're grandfathered in, you're a pretty loyal customer. How does Verizon want to show their appreciation? Jack the price up exclusively on the grandfathered folks.

First thing I did when I saw this a few days ago was start shopping for my new carrier and plan. Options aren't great anywhere really. I'm really hoping T-Mobile siezes the opportunity and brings the truly unlimited data/tether plan back. I don't feel like sticking around with Verizon so they can jack my rate up every few months until I leave. I'd rather cut my losses and give them the boot now. They obviously want us gone, so it's not going to hurt them a bit...but there's something satisfying about the thought of giving Verizon the middle finger rather than thanking them for the price increase by sticking with them.

So...which carrier wants the Verizon outcasts enough to offer a plan that makes up come running with dollar bills waving? I'm surprised there hasn't been a single carrier yet that saw this as an opportunity to win 1% of Verizon's most loyal customer base!

Check out cricket. Cheaper, uses att towers (which for most are better than T-Mo coverage, and in many places just as good as verizon coverage wise) not to mention you can get any phone you want since it is GSM

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Just realized this won't affect me :)
Here is my plan :
Alltel FAM FRIENDS & FAMILY10 SMARTPACK 500 $89.99

My data is part of the package, not a separate 29.99
I feel better now

Posted via the Android Central App

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I currently have 20% corporate discount. It brings my $29.99 unlimited data down to $23.99.

With the new increase to $50, does that mean I'll be charged $40 a month now?
(which mean the increase is just $18 for me)

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Because you originally asked, "Good deal or nah?", I still don't understand if the deal you're being offered includes the $20 price increase, because if they weren't going to increase your bill, why would you ask if it's a good deal?

If you are being charged an additional $20, I think it might still be a good deal, because you're getting a unique product that you can't get access to again if you drop it. Unlimited data from Verizon is the best because it's really unlimited with no throttling.

But it really depends on your circumstances. In my case, with 450 min. and no texting plan, I'd jump on it. In your case, you're really only getting unlimited peak voice minutes added, and if that means nothing to you, then you're in the same boat as the rest of us, namely, is unlimited data worth $20 additional.

I didn't ask for a the "good deal". I ask what's the $20 increase deal was. I'm not gonna pay extra $20 on top of what I'm paying for right now. I'll be more than happy for YOU to pay my extra $20 if u want. I don't mind.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I just did some quick research of current plan offerings from the big three (I didn't look at Sprint) and MVNOs Page Plus (Verizon towers), Cricket (AT&T towers) and Project Fi (T-Mobile and Sprint Towers, and wi-fi calling):
- for a single smartphone
- for plans that offer unlimited voice and text.
- not including all the VZW tiers above 18 GB (they even offer a 100GB plan for a mere $750).
- only reporting 4G LTE limits. (some plans throttle at the limits, other plans automatically add charges for more 4G).

AT&T and Verizon charge higher on-contract device charges to compensate for offering phone subsidies for those customers.

AT&T offers rollover data for one month.

T-Mobile offers rollover data for one 12 months for their 3GB and 5GB plans.
T-Mobile unlimited data plan allows 7 GB of hotspot data, and includes some kind of Rhapsody music ("Rhapsody unRadio").
T-Mobile plans offer free streaming music ("Music Freedom") without using data, when on their network from select music providers (Pandora and iHeart Radio were given as examples).

Cricket offers a $5 discount for signing up for Auto Pay, which I applied.
Cricket offers Group Save Discounts for additional lines: $10 off 2nd line, $20 off 3rd line, up to $40 off the 5th line.

Project Fi has a $20 base charge for unlimited talk and text, plus a $10/GB data charge, with a credit applied for any unused data.

VZW w/o contractVZW w/ contractAT&T w/o contractAT&T w/ contractT-MobilePage PlusCricketProj. Fi
1GB$50$70$50$30
1.5GB$40
2GB$55$70$40
2.5GB$35
3GB$65$85$60$50
5GB$75$90$70$55$45$70
6GB$80$100$80
7GB$70$90
10GB$55$120
12GB$100$120$140
15GB$115$140$170
18GB$120$140$200
Unlimited$80

Last edited:

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Price not withstanding, most of us stay with VZ due to their coverage. I can travel end to end in Arizona and not drop a call. Yes, some of you will say that you have no problems with carrier X, but I think that 75% of those here will agree that they have had fewer connection issues with Verizon over any other carrier.

I agree Hal1. I'm in AZ also and have dropped a whopping 2 calls in 12 years with VZW, and the last year is with the Droid Turbo on Advanced Calling (using 4GLTE for voice). I know people with T-mo that drop calls all over the place or get no service at all just outside the city. My parents HAD to switch to VZW as they just couldn't depend on their calls going through or coming in, which is very important for 80+ year olds.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I didn't ask for a the "good deal". I ask what's the $20 increase deal was. I'm not gonna pay extra $20 on top of what I'm paying for right now. I'll be more than happy for YOU to pay my extra $20 if u want. I don't mind.

Your original post was questioned by someone because they couldn't tell if you were getting the $20 new charge or not. You answered that they *WERE* going to charge you but you got a deal, which sounded to me like they WERE going to charge you, but didn't. Or it's at least ambiguous. So I asked again. The rest of my response was trying to be helpful by addressing your "Good deal or nah? question. No reason to get huffy. Sounds like you answered your own question and decided you don't think it's a good deal since you say you're not going to pay an extra $20. Good that the decision is clear for you.

asudevil

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. I don't normally post comments in the forums but since I have an old plan with UD, I decided to do research. As someone posted above, I called Verizon and got some good news. Depending on what CSR one talks to, the contract can be extended another year. She extended mine( I'm out of contract soon...within the month), and also gave me an additional 15$ off for a year. Also there are such accounts called " Business Personal" accounts for less than 12 lines that I assume fall under the exception. She said it will take 24hrs to reflect the change on my account so I will post if I was successful or not. I had to call a couple of times, rejected again and again, before I talked to someone who would extend my account.

Last edited:

bulabula

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Vz wouldn't give me any deals, so right now I'm running Tmo on the 5gb, 100 min phone for $30. FoxFi tethering works too. (I don't talk much on the phone). I'll give it a week at work and travel. If it's OK, I'm jumping ship. If not, I'll still jump ship with Cricket - and tethering works with them too. The monthly savings for me will buy a lot of beer....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52