Verizon update 8 (August) broke our phones

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
All,

Just reporting here that verizon update 8 seems to have broken my s22u, and my wife's s22+. Symptoms are that people we are talking to cannot hear us, or choppy. Text messages don't always come through. Reboot the phone, and they all come.

Already tried clearing cache, factory reset, then called vzw support, they reset network settings. Problem occurs on wifi, network extender, and in other locations(not home, or anywhere near home).

Vzw thought my phone was bad, and are sending me replacement under warranty, my wifes phone was fine, but then overnight my wife's s22+ got the update 8, and now her phone has same problems.

Sometimes a reboot allows my phone to work for a few hours, then goes bad, other times a reboot makes no difference.

Now am researching Odin, and reloading update 7.

Any others seen this?Screenshot_20220906-190111_Settings.jpg

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All,

Just reporting here that verizon update 8 seems to have broken my s22u, and my wife's s22+. Symptoms are that people we are talking to cannot hear us, or choppy. Text messages don't always come through. Reboot the phone, and they all come.

Already tried clearing cache, factory reset, then called vzw support, they reset network settings. Problem occurs on wifi, network extender, and in other locations(not home, or anywhere near home).

Vzw thought my phone was bad, and are sending me replacement under warranty, my wifes phone was fine, but then overnight my wife's s22+ got the update 8, and now her phone has same problems.

Sometimes a reboot allows my phone to work for a few hours, then goes bad, other times a reboot makes no difference.

Any others seen this?View attachment 348362
You using stock Samsung messages and phone app?

This happening when on 5g or LTE ?

Try safe mode?

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
You using stock Samsung messages and phone app?

This happening when on 5g or LTE ?

Try safe mode?

4g, wifi. Not a lot of 5g yet around our area. Good call on safe mode, trying that now. Using stock dialer, was using Google messages, changed back to samsung.

My wife's phone doesn't have much added to it.

Exact same symptoms on both.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
4g, wifi. Not a lot of 5g yet around our area. Good call on safe mode, trying that now. Using stock dialer, was using Google messages, changed back to samsung.

My wife's phone doesn't have much added to it.

Exact same symptoms on both.
See what happens in safe mode

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I stopped receiving text messages after the update (in 5g). After a restart the issue has been resolved, so far.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Good thing about Samsung
Go to recovery can clear cache after a update and has option repair apps choose this also

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
All,

Any others seen this?View attachment 348362

Mine does the same. I rebooted the second time yesterday. First issue I've ever had.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Done all that too. and a reboot does not appear to fix the problem. gonna work on reloading update 7 with odin.
One alternative to consider would be installing the 908U1 software instead of the 908U software. Then could keep up with the latest security updates and other improvements. (But I don't know if any Verizon services would thereby be disabled.)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If it really affects a lot of users on their carrier then maybe Verizon will push out an emergency update. Otherwise I'd say you're just stuck for hopefully only 30 days for the next months update and hope they fix it.

I'm irritated with the Secure Folder glitch on my phone after update but nothing to do but accept it and wait. :-\

One alternative to consider would be installing the 908U1 software instead of the 908U software. Then could keep up with the latest security updates and other improvements. (But I don't know if any Verizon services would thereby be disabled.)

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If it really affects a lot of users on their carrier then maybe Verizon will push out an emergency update. Otherwise I'd say you're just stuck for hopefully only 30 days for the next months update and hope they fix it.

I'm irritated with the Secure Folder glitch on my phone after update but nothing to do but accept it and wait. :-\

If it was just text, I'd live with it. but I cannot make/receive calls in its current state.

ODIN seems to be a bit of a unicorn on MAC laptops. Found JOdin3, but cannot get that to work. I have a windows image installed in a VirtualBox image, but having problems with that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it was just text, I'd live with it. but I cannot make/receive calls in its current state.

ODIN seems to be a bit of a unicorn on MAC laptops. Found JOdin3, but cannot get that to work. I have a windows image installed in a VirtualBox image, but having problems with that.
I would never personally try Odin with a Mac

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I left Verizon after being threatened by a store manager and now I'm with AT&T. (Yes I handled it accordingly) I couldn't believe the total game changer!!! My goodness it's like Verizon neuters all their phones and frankly their so called 5G network is complete bs. Now I have 5G wherever I go and everything loads immediately i love the S22 Ultra on AT&T, I'm never going back. Also my watch works better too.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I left Verizon after being threatened by a store manager and now I'm with AT&T. (Yes I handled it accordingly) I couldn't believe the total game changer!!! My goodness it's like Verizon neuters all their phones and frankly their so called 5G network is complete bs. Now I have 5G wherever I go and everything loads immediately i love the S22 Ultra on AT&T, I'm never going back. Also my watch works better too.
Yeah Verizon is something else on Samsung , Att is great but I like them more on unlocked firmware no bloat

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk