What phone did you come from and why?

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
G2 - G3 - G4. Before the G2 I had an HTC One, but the camera was a disaster compared to LG. The G4 camera continues to amaze. I'll be on vacation next week and will be leaving my Canon G7X home.

Wow, before my G2-G3-G4 was also a disastrous HTC one with nasty horrible toddler camera. Weird.

Prince Radebe

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Firstly Hello Android Family

I came from BlackBerry Z10, screen cracked then used the wife's iPhone4 but couldn't take the lag. I have the Sony M4 Aqua now but I do miss BlackBerry Hub and gestures.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Came from my G2 I got on release day, love that phone so figured the G4 was a no brainer.

Wasn't having any problems with my G2, battery was still good and it was running better than ever in Lollipop. I know a lot of people had problems, guess I just got lucky. So keeping it for my backup phone.

rodrigoeilert

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I came from the iPhone 6 plus. I'm am Android guy, have been one since the first Android, G1, and never had an iPhone. Then iPhone 6 plus came along, and I decided to give it a go. I now understand a few of the iPhone fans complaints when going to Android for the first time. I personally didn't like iPhone because I can do so much on Android as far as personalization and tweaking the phone to my like, but I understand what they mean when they say the iPhone "just works". LG G4 has this stuttering and lagging, freezing up on the most simplest tasks, like scrolling down the web, a list, or photo thumbnails, places in which a phone this advanced shouldn't be lagging at. I'm a photographer, so that's one of the reasons why I got the LG G4. The camera is great, but once you've had an iPhone, the lagging and stuttering just can't be overseen. Let's hope LG can solve this with system updates.

Posted via the Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I came from the iPhone 6 plus. I'm am Android guy, have been one since the first Android, G1, and never had an iPhone. Then iPhone 6 plus came along, and I decided to give it a go. I now understand a few of the iPhone fans complaints when going to Android for the first time. I personally didn't like iPhone because I can do so much on Android as far as personalization and tweaking the phone to my like, but I understand what they mean when they say the iPhone "just works". LG G4 has this stuttering and lagging, freezing up on the most simplest tasks, like scrolling down the web, a list, or photo thumbnails, places in which a phone this advanced shouldn't be lagging at. I'm a photographer, so that's one of the reasons why I got the LG G4. The camera is great, but once you've had an iPhone, the lagging and stuttering just can't be overseen. Let's hope LG can solve this with system updates.

You are one of the unlucky ones, in other words yours may have major lag issues but that is not the norm for this phone. At least not by what I have been reading. My has no lag like that.

As far as iPhones my wife has the 6 and she has more issues than I have with my G4.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Came from the Nexus 6 ...

Switched basically because I am sick and have to have the latest and greatest LOL! I honestly thought the G4 would be a "rental" and I'd end up sending it back within the 14 day return period, but it surprised me in just about every aspect! So I opted to keep it over my N6 ...

G4'ed it!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Remember when I said the main reason I switched to the G4 was because of the M7's camera? Here's some.

(The M7 is running CM12.1, so there's no HTC ImageChip processing, but the issues still existed while I was using Sense, so it barely made any difference)

The top is taken by the G4. The bottom is taken by the M7. Both are left in Auto mode and I didn't fiddle with any settings aside from pressing the shutter.

Outdoors;
20150721_175910.jpg IMG_20150721_184404.jpg
20150721_180222.jpgIMG_20150721_184438.jpg
(The G4 pic was saved at 90% quality because the original filesize is too large)

Indoors (HDR enabled)
20150721_180250.jpgIMG_20150721_180329.jpg
20150721_180729_HDR.jpgIMG_20150721_180651.jpg
20150721_180753_HDR.jpgIMG_20150721_183613.jpg

The M7 seems to have an exposure issue where it always seems to overexpose. It didn't seem to be an issue on my other phone running CM12.1 (Galaxy S3), so I'm betting that it's some sort of weird bug. Anyway, manually controlling the exposure seemed to help in these shots, but the purple tint still remained.
IMG_20150721_180051.jpg IMG_20150721_180158.jpgIMG_20150721_183628.jpg

The flash also helped in one, but didn't remove the purple-tint.
IMG_20150721_180339.jpg

I know it's unfair to compare a 2015 flagship with a 2 year old phone, but for crying out loud, a Galaxy S2 can take better photos than this. So it should at least take photos that aren't complete utter garbage compared to the G4.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have not made the switch at this moment. I have an International Version of the G4, but it doesn't work on VZW. Had it worked on VZW, I would have switched from the iPhone 6+. I'm still considering picking up the VZW variant of the G4, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I might stop by VZW tonight on my way home...

JmpnJeronimo

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Came from a 920 as well, as a matter of fact I picked up my Lumia the other day and fell back in love with it! why do I love Windows phone so much?

smooney3

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I came from a OnePlus One. Honestly, I'm still not 100% sure I won't be going back. The OPO was overall a much better experience, especially the battery life. Also, I got my Project Fi invite, so the Nexus 6 is looking good again. Ultimately, I'll probably end up sticking with the G4 for the camera, at least until see some OnePlus 2 reviews.

2ohit

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Oneplus One and Moto X (1st gen). Both had a few strong points but each had a few major flaws which ruined it for me. OPO's camera was literally unusable in any other conditions than "the perfect" conditions. No software/firmware upgrade could fix it. And then there was that "it's not a bug it's a feature" yellow band at the bottom of the screen. And with all white lollipop update, it was just ugly to look at. Moto X - again the camera and the battery life.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Nitro HD-G2-G3-G4. Anybody who had the Nitro HD knows it had the first HD display but the worst battery life of any smartphone at the time. G2 was a welcome upgrade and fell in love with the buttons on the back and the small bezels. Can't go back to side buttons so I'll probably be sticking with LG. I can see myself keeping the G4 longer than my usual 1 year. Great battery life everything works as advertised just minor touch screen issues.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

riceatusc

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6 because a forklift ran over it and Sprint wouldn't activate the replacement one that I bought off of eBay because it wasn't a Sprint sold nexus.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have not made the switch at this moment. I have an International Version of the G4, but it doesn't work on VZW. Had it worked on VZW, I would have switched from the iPhone 6+. I'm still considering picking up the VZW variant of the G4, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I might stop by VZW tonight on my way home...

I made it official last night. I have now come from the iPhone 6 Plus.

Update: I forgot the why part. I switched from the iPhone because I use the hotspot for my home Internet, and the iOS hotspot just will not work properly with anything that is not iOS. I've been battling this for 3 months now and just couldn't take it any more. I loved the iPhone 6 Plus and everything about it. I'd still have the 6 Plus if the hotspot would work with my router.

Last edited:

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Remember when I said the main reason I switched to the G4 was because of the M7's camera? Here's some.

(The M7 is running CM12.1, so there's no HTC ImageChip processing, but the issues still existed while I was using Sense, so it barely made any difference)

The top is taken by the G4. The bottom is taken by the M7. Both are left in Auto mode and I didn't fiddle with any settings aside from pressing the shutter.

Outdoors;
View attachment 187938 View attachment 187939
View attachment 187940View attachment 187941
(The G4 pic was saved at 90% quality because the original filesize is too large)

Indoors (HDR enabled)
View attachment 187942View attachment 187943
View attachment 187944View attachment 187945
View attachment 187947View attachment 187948

The M7 seems to have an exposure issue where it always seems to overexpose. It didn't seem to be an issue on my other phone running CM12.1 (Galaxy S3), so I'm betting that it's some sort of weird bug. Anyway, manually controlling the exposure seemed to help in these shots, but the purple tint still remained.
View attachment 187949 View attachment 187950View attachment 187951

The flash also helped in one, but didn't remove the purple-tint.
View attachment 187952

I know it's unfair to compare a 2015 flagship with a 2 year old phone, but for crying out loud, a Galaxy S2 can take better photos than this. So it should at least take photos that aren't complete utter garbage compared to the G4.

Looks like pages from a printer that has dried up black and yellow ink cartridges. The imaging sensor must be shot.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks like pages from a printer that has dried up black and yellow ink cartridges. The imaging sensor must be shot.

That's what I thought as well.

The phone is defective, and so are a lot of M7s with the same issue.

Apparently, the sensor is an OmniVision OV4688. Hopefully, the Sony IMX234 sensor on the G4 doesn't have the issue.