Power button issues

plarpco

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My trusty incredible is exhibiting some strange behavior. I think it might be hardware, but I'm not exactly sure. The power button isn't working as it used to. If the phone is in a locked state and the screen is off, I have to press the power button multiple times or jam it pretty hard to get it to wake up. Locking the phone is even harder. When I attempt to lock the phone with the power button, it pauses a few seconds, and then brings up the sense menu for power options (power off, airplane mode, etc.). That screen should normally only come up when you long-press the button.

It feels like the button is a little pressed in, but I cant be sure. I've taken off the cover, blown compressed air into it, but there is no change. I'm not even 100% sure that the button is compromised.

I installed an app that allows me to lock the phone with an app press, which works fine, but I'm worried that one day the thing won't wake up.

Has anyone seen this? I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver, and I probably have the right security bit to open the phone up. Is the switch accessible after taking off the back cover? I don't have the extended warranty on the phone and will likely make do until I can upgrade, but if it's just piece of crud in there, or if I could replace the switch, I'd rather do that.

Thoughts?

plarpco

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If it is not under warranty, What could possibly go wrong.

Umm... sure. :p

I suppose opening up my phone, taking it completely apart and trying to fix the button could render it unusable, so a lot could go wrong. I was hoping someone else had experienced this issue, or knew if replacing the power button on the phone was even doable.

I guess it *is* under the manufacturers warranty still (1 year right?), and open enrollment on the extended warranty is available for a couple more, so I'll take it to a Verizon store and see what they say.

Probably a non-issue and I'll just get a replacement.

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My trusty incredible is exhibiting some strange behavior. I think it might be hardware, but I'm not exactly sure. The power button isn't working as it used to. If the phone is in a locked state and the screen is off, I have to press the power button multiple times or jam it pretty hard to get it to wake up. Locking the phone is even harder. When I attempt to lock the phone with the power button, it pauses a few seconds, and then brings up the sense menu for power options (power off, airplane mode, etc.). That screen should normally only come up when you long-press the button.

It feels like the button is a little pressed in, but I cant be sure. I've taken off the cover, blown compressed air into it, but there is no change. I'm not even 100% sure that the button is compromised.

I installed an app that allows me to lock the phone with an app press, which works fine, but I'm worried that one day the thing won't wake up.

Has anyone seen this? I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver, and I probably have the right security bit to open the phone up. Is the switch accessible after taking off the back cover? I don't have the extended warranty on the phone and will likely make do until I can upgrade, but if it's just piece of crud in there, or if I could replace the switch, I'd rather do that.

Thoughts?

Had the same thing happen to a co-workers DInc here at work. He dropped it several months back and at that time, no issues with the power button at all. Then all of a sudden the power button stopped working correctly last week as well as random restarts. I unrooted the phone, and had the same problem. We called VZW to file an insurance claim and as luck would have it, the phone was within a day of orignal 12 month warranty. They sent out a replacement and all was well for a couple days. Then the phone started restarting by itself. Sometimes it would take 3-5 times of restarting before it was usable. I did a factory reset and told the owner not to install anything, no apps, no nothing other than the stock apps. Worked perfectly for 1.5 days and then last night did 2 random restarts. Both times, it just restarted one time and then was ok. Just weird. Like it has a mind of it's own. Will give it a few more days to see if it continues and then decide on whether or not to return it for another replacement.

Bryan

plarpco

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the data point. I took it into a Verizon store and the guy confirmed that I wasn't crazy and that it was a hardware problem. I called up customer service, and I should have my refurb here today. I asked about getting a Dinc2, and the rep said he could probably get me into my "discounted upgrade" with a managers approval, but I decided to hold off and save my upgrade for next year.

I hope I have better luck with my replacement than your co-worker did.

Reactions: Jonno

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I just started getting this exact issue starting last week. Not sure if it's in 1yr warranty anymore. For the time being I can live with the issue. Good to know others have discovered and dealt with it. I'm glad I ran the advanced search first for this post.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine had issuesbwith the power button. Had to get a replacement phone. Don't mess with it. It has a one year warranty on it. If still under warranty you can get a replacement phone. Go to a store and have them look at it

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress