Market and Auto App Updates

Glorfindale

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So, here is one for you guys...

My wife and I got 2 fascinates. I rooted them both using the provided instructions on this site. Everything is cool so far, lag fix is kicking butt.

One thing that annoys me is that my wife has a diff version of the market app, so she gets the option to auto update and update all buttons, while I don't.

My three questions are:

Can you manually update the market app?

Can I copy a market app from my wife's root directory and install it on my phone, since they both are rooted? If so, what is the name of the app and where is it?

I cannot find Mobile IM app so I can rename it and get rid of it in my menu, any ideas where to find it on root? (Slightly unrelated, I know...heh)

Thanks in advance.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
check this out it works

I still have the old market (version 1714) and it won't even let me log in to the purchase portal. Not to be paranoid, but how do I know that the link, to a site completely unassociated with google, samsung, or verizon, or even androidcentral, is legit and not a backdoor to steal my information?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
you don't.

if you don't trust it, then you have to wait until it either silently gets pushed to your phone, or for froyo.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if the new market app was on your device you wouldn't need to move it around.

the apk listed is basically the 2.2 market apk, you can look on xda but i'm pretty sure it's the same link that's in the post.

AmanteNJ

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I still have the old market (version 1714) and it won't even let me log in to the purchase portal. Not to be paranoid, but how do I know that the link, to a site completely unassociated with google, samsung, or verizon, or even androidcentral, is legit and not a backdoor to steal my information?

Lol why bother asking here if you cant trust the community and trust the response around a certain link. If you are unsure about a link, wait until someone or several people tested the link or the file. You have to be aware that this community was built to modify your unit to either make it better or worst, everything will be based upon the owner's discretion

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Lol why bother asking here if you cant trust the community and trust the response around a certain link. If you are unsure about a link, wait until someone or several people tested the link or the file. You have to be aware that this community was built to modify your unit to either make it better or worst, everything will be based upon the owner's discretion

I can tell no one here has ever worked in a remotely secure IT environment... No offense to you or the community, it just really strikes me as odd that there is no attempt at all whatsoever to validate the authenticity of apps like this that you are loading on your phone. The sheer fact that the only distribution channel is a megaupload-type file sharing site is just a HUGE red flag for me; there is no control over what gets posted there. On top of that there is no (to my knowledge) authenticity signing process for apps like this that aren't delivered via the market, and since the market app will naturally have a pretty high privilege it stands to reason that a malicious version would have a very scary capability to do harm on your phone even with the protection against malicious apps provided by the OS.

All of this is fine and good, you are free to do whatever you would like on your phone and I don't mean to judge you for it. What I think stinks is that apparently the old version of the market I am stuck with won't let me log in and according to the community the only solution i have is to either wait with a broken app on my phone, or install an app whose authenticity is unverified.

AmanteNJ

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The Market it self has a lot of apps that take information from your phone and shows a red flag ... it is just up to the person downloading those apps or file if they are willing to take those risks. No different from rooting your phone and taking the word of the community that such kernel or rom is worth installing on your phone.

I've had this unit for a month and I rooted, debloated, installed JT's ROM and so far i am pretty satisfied. One thing i learned from owning cellphone's is never store valuable information such as birthday's, Social security number, addresses, credit card/ or bank account numbers/ pin numbers or even your height/weight/age.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The Market it self has a lot of apps that take information from your phone and shows a red flag ... it is just up to the person downloading those apps or file if they are willing to take those risks. No different from rooting your phone and taking the word of the community that such kernel or rom is worth installing on your phone.

I've had this unit for a month and I rooted, debloated, installed JT's ROM and so far i am pretty satisfied. One thing i learned from owning cellphone's is never store valuable information such as birthday's, Social security number, addresses, credit card/ or bank account numbers/ pin numbers or even your height/weight/age.

I don't mean to sound incredulous, but for me having a phone that I can't trust with personal information is pointless. My phone allows me to manage a lot of personal and work email that is very confidential and if I have any reason to be suspicious of what's running on my phone I just don't run it. This environment of no authenticity checking for apps and the relaxed attitude that users have toward them is VERY dangerous; do you really want Android to have the same kind of reputation Windows earned back in 1995? It can and will happen if users and developers don't start to take this stuff more seriously.