Perplexed: Why did Verizon Choose to carry this phone?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am perplexed as to why Verizon decided to carry this phone? Early indications are that they will not promote this device heavily. Coupled with rumors that they were at odds with Google on certain aspects. Also, lacking any "Bloatware" means a loss of revenue stream for them ( so they say). With that said, I am guessing this phone will not sell well if it is not Marketed to the average "Joe". I understand that most here will purchase this phone including me ( I have found a solution to my one concern I had). If this phone does not sell well it would give Verizon ammunition for not carrying this type of phone in the future. I hope this phone does well (sales wise) because that would give Verizon proof that there is a market for a pure vanilla experience. Can any of you enlighten me as to what is in it for Verizon? Verizon is in this business to make money, and I cannot see how they plan to do that with this phone.

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
This phone was just officially announced not even a week ago. Verizon is going to promote it, don't kidd yourself. Remember what the original "vanilla" moto droid did for Verizon? There's money to be made whether Verizon can put their bloatware on it or not and there is potential to expand their customer base. Why else would they have an initial exclusivity on it?

The ball isn't even in Verizon's court right now, it's in Google's. This is a pure Google phone as is ever other Nexus, if Google still has "Coming Soon" listed on the official Nexus site then why are we to expect Verizon to jump out of the hatch and provide release dates and advertisements for a phone that Google isn't even heavily advertising yet?

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
It's also worth noting that everybody is talking about how Verizon can't put their bloatware on this and it's not a win for them to have this phone on their network. Samsung can't put their UI skin on this but nobody is saying that Samsung is going to take a hit on this. It's brand awareness. In the end if you buy this phone then you have a Samsung branded phone and you are on Verizon's network.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The UI has some branding value to Samsung but not a lot, whereas V-bloat and other bloatware are revenue streams for Verizon.

That said, the Nexus is still valuable to Verizon in terms of niche marketing. It won't be as responsive to promotion so they won't invest nearly as much in promotion of it, but it will still be important to Verizon in gaining and keeping customers. Verizon is not in business to sell phones but rather service contracts.

Thanks, Robrecht

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The UI has some branding value to Samsung but not a lot, whereas V-bloat and other bloatware are revenue streams for Verizon.

That said, the Nexus is still valuable to Verizon in terms of niche marketing. It won't be as responsive to promotion so they won't invest nearly as much in promotion of it, but it will still be important to Verizon in gaining and keeping customers. Verizon is not in business to sell phones but rather service contracts.

Thanks, Robrecht

Along with this "niche" of customers comes along a very savvy group who know how to circumvent the system? Which historically has been a nuisance for them.

Their window of exclusivity I would think, will be short. Then it becomes a matter of how many "new customers" they can attract from the other carriers.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Google puts out the best selling operating system for smartphones at the moment so maintaining a good partnership with google is important for verizon. It is possible that verizon was willing to concede control over this one phone to keep their relationship with google in good standings

Along with this "niche" of customers comes along a very savvy group who know how to circumvent the system? Which historically has been a nuisance for them.

Their window of exclusivity I would think, will be short. Then it becomes a matter of how many "new customers" they can attract from the other carriers.

This "niche" of customers also happens to be the most prolific when it comes to word of mouth advertising

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
In my mind I like to think that VZW will promote it big and only released yesterday's announcement to assuage our grief over the rumors of the Nexus not coming to big red.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking with this being the only 4G LTE Dual Core phone, running the new Ice Cream Sandwich, I'm sure it will sell.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
This phone has been in the works for months. Verizon passed on the GS2 to carry this phone. It's likely Verizon wasn't comfortable with how open the final result turned out to be.

Verizon talks a good game, but they want to control everything. Keep in mind Verizon doesn't do much advertising for the iPhone either. It will be up to Google and Samsung to advertise the best phone on Big Red.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
In my mind I like to think that VZW will promote it big and only released yesterday's announcement to assuage our grief over the rumors of the Nexus not coming to big red.

I wouldn't count on it. It is not a verizon branded phone so they will probably not spend much money promoting other brands, but again, maybe in the interests of partnerships they might. I would personally rather samsung handle the marketing, they have done a great job with the galaxy s2.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure they'll make more money per Droid RAZR sold (and expect them to market the heck out of it), but Android enthusiasts are vocal, willing to hop carriers, and provide excellent word of mouth. Getting it as an early exclusive means they get those types hopping to Verizon (and signing two year contracts) rather than heading to another carrier. I know, I was fully ready to do it (and that would have lead to a domino effect of like 6-8 people leaving in the next year). Instead I'll be showing the phone off and selling people on it, and those people will have to be on Verizon to get it (for the first 45-60 days, anyhow).

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you read the vast number of stories comparing this phone and the Galaxy S2 to the iPhone, you'd think that a carrier would get behind a launch like this to loosen the stranglehold that Apple has on every carrier now besides T-Mobile. If you walk into any corporate location for AT&T and Verizon, there's typically an entire wall dedicated to the iPhone. In some cases there's more, which goes to show you how well Apple has marketed their phone to not only the people, but the carriers.

I'd love to see Verizon put out commercials for this phone and really get behind it, but I can't see it being the focus this holiday season with the Droid Razr coming out. The Razr was a popular name back a few years ago and there's no doubt that they'll be pushing this phone ahead of everything (except for the iPhone).

If we need proof of that, just check their home page. There's nothing about the Galaxy Nexus, but sure enough, there's something about the Droid Razr. I think they're backing the wrong horse, but I don't need someone at Big Red to tell me which phone I should get. Ill be there in a white suit, Duarte-style, picking up the Galaxy Nexus while everyone else drools over the iPhone.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Not so much of a nuisance that they choose to terminate very many. They still want these customers.
Of course, and they want to attract as many of these customers as they can.

Thanks, Robrecht

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is branded for being greedy, which they are. I have never used an at&t smartphone, or a t mobile smartphone, or a sprint smartphone. Why do they not get branded as being greedy? Do they not have bloatware?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that I'm glad Verizon has a Nexus for me to buy. I'm not going to question it or complain about it because all that will do is lead to ridiculous conjecture and freaking out. I mean, really...the phone was just announced as being official for Verizon yesterday and here we are with conspiracy theories...

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that I'm glad Verizon has a Nexus for me to buy. I'm not going to question it or complain about it because all that will do is lead to ridiculous conjecture and freaking out. I mean, really...the phone was just announced as being official for Verizon yesterday and here we are with conspiracy theories...

cheers!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

It's a phone, no conspiracy theories or complaining here. I do not see anyone "freaking out" just a harmless discussion to pass the time while we wait for this phone to arrive. If the post bothers you move on.

pawdog

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Do clueless newbies really pay these exorbitant prices for the Verizon bloatware services. For instance, the NFL app. After paying 30 bones a month for 2 GB data would I really pay another 10 bones to use the NFL app and use up all my data on the first Sunday streaming RedZone. You don't have to be tech savvy to see that is a crazy idea. Does the NFL pay them just to place the app on the device.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I feel like they had no intentions on making the announcement when they did, but someone started a rumor and it spread like wildfire and folks started flooding their twitter so they HAD to make an early announcement. Now some folks will disagree but I believe the reason they hadn't announced it yet was because their version isn't ready. I think they will have a souped up version and it's not quite ready. When they do finally make their official announcement i think it will blow us away. I think they will market this phone great like they do all their other money making phones. I keep getting the feeling they have big plans for this one.

I wouldn't count on it. It is not a verizon branded phone so they will probably not spend much money promoting other brands, but again, maybe in the interests of partnerships they might. I would personally rather samsung handle the marketing, they have done a great job with the galaxy s2.

I think when people say it's not VZW branded so they won't market it is just absolutely crazy to me. VZW is in the business to make MONEY point blank!! If they can't get their crap on it how do you make money off of it?? You sell the HELL out of it, and how do you do that? You make the product well known! What bloat was on the OG Droid? And they marketed the hell out of that phone. Their goal is to make MONEY! A top phone, with top specs, with a top OS, costing 300 a piece! You really think they don't want to sell that? Come on folks. With what ICS brought to the table as far as features it is no longer just a niche phone. Also Verizon doesn't have a brand of phone.