Miss any old features?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I use AudioGuru Pro and the author had told me that one other audio app claims to have a work around but that it is a fragile hack. I think the only real option is for Google to fix this. My guess is that will happen, but it may take a while.

Thanks. I sent an email query to the developer of the Sound Manager, hoping to get his perspective on the problem. In the meantime, I think I'll hold off before making the switch, until I see some positive sign of hope it will be resolved.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just heard back from the developer of Sound Manager. His perspective is that the separation of Notification and Ring volumes can't be done on ICS, so that really dampens my ardor for making the switchover from the DX to the GN.

I'll just watch and listen for some hope that someone will find a viable workaround, that Google will come to their senses on this, or perhaps they will get some heat from customers, manufacturers and carriers. I may be using my DX longer than I expected.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I love ICS. I only miss the dedicated search button but I guess the one in the search bar is the replacement. I came from the Thunderbolt which was Verizons only phone that could talk and use data over 3g at the same time. I do miss that. I did miss Facebook Sync till I found a solution with Haxsync. So yea thats about it. I don't miss enough for me to not see that ICS is a vast improvement over Android of the past. Oh yea one more thing. The woman's voice in maps is kind of funny lol. Miss the old one.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
being able to select multiple contacts from the people list to send a text to (you can send a group text, but have to go back and forth to do so)

We all know you can't dial to search, but when sending a group text don't you just start typing names and choose as you go? It's not really back and forth (after you tap back up to the top for your second contact)

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I miss being able to type the letters of a person's name in the call screen to call them
being able to select multiple contacts from the people list to send a text to (you can send a group text, but have to go back and forth to do so)

Just start typing their name in the text contact menu and you can keep adding multiple contacts to send one text. You don't even have to type their whole name. There is no back and forth with that. It's real easy.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to upgrade to the GN as soon as I am eligible, but this point has me quite concerned - enough that it might be a deal breaker for me unless there is some way to separate the functions. I currently use Sound Manager V2 scheduling to turn down Notification Volume at night, while keeping Ringer Volume at a normal level.

Have you (or has anyone) tried that app, or one of the others like it, as a workaround for the problem, and have you had any success?

I believe if you have light flow handle your text notifications (turn the native ones to silent) you can set the sleep functions to stop text notifications at night too.

Reactions: vicw926a4

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Google xda nova launcher

My home screens owe everything to the nova launcher.

You can even swipe your app drawer independent of the home screen. I only swipe my app drawer now for my most used apps, no need to swipe your screen.

185dbd5b-8a38-d563.jpg
185dbd5b-8a49-253a.jpg

drewC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Cant find it in the market

It's not in the market yet. The developer is working on beta v10 I believe. As previously pointed out by someone else in another thread, Google "Nova Launcher XDA" on your phone. That should lead you to the right place with the link to download the apk.

Update: apparently yosteve already answered above.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Android for over 2 years. Not once during that time did I ever use the dedicated search button. But, after reading all the posts here I'm suddenly missing it.

Nah, not really, but it seems a lot of people really liked this feature. Maybe if we lobby Google enough it will show up next to the home button.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe if you have light flow handle your text notifications (turn the native ones to silent) you can set the sleep functions to stop text notifications at night too.

Thanks Yosteve. I went through the description of Lightflow, and installed it on my DX to check it out. I have zero interest in playing with the notification LED colors, but if the app can reliably block Notification sounds and vibration on a schedule, and hopefully also do that successfully on the GN, there is hope.

Looking at the extensive permissions for the app, and the potential for battery meltdown, I'm going to watch it carefully. I just wish they had a simpler app just to handle Notification audio/vib control, without all the LED stuff, but at least it will give me an opportunity to see if it will work for my purpose. I installed the app with just the defaults set, except that I added a Notification sleep schedule.

Has anyone tested this app for the scheduled notification sleep, without suppressing the Ringer, on the GN?

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Facebook is the worst place to store contact info...I would never give them such personal data.

as for what I miss...nothing. ICS is not perfect, but neither was gingerbread. So far all the issues I have seen mentioned in this thread are minor and have not ruined my experience in any way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I miss being able to type the letters of a person's name in the call screen to call them
From the call screen hit the search button area, then start typing the name of the contact. A contact list will appear matching the letters you are entering.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruno1099