Verizon Note 2: Foxfi with 4.4.2

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just in case we ever get the upgrade to 4.4.2 with Verizon, it appears that the Wifi option is going to disappear unless they find a fix before then. I pair my tablets on occasion and I have tried the bluetooth connection. With the bluetooth connection I can get basic internet with annoying popups saying I don't have a connection, but I do get a connection. With other apps I get the error and cannot get a connection. I can't get e-mail nor can I get connected with my SSLVPN (Junos Pulse). Is there a setting I can fix or is this a lost cause? I have 4.4.2 on my Nexus 7 and I have yet to find a reason to upgrade, should I just refuse the upgrade as long as possible, if it ever does pop up, and keep the Foxfi option alive, or can bluetooth be made to work?

Last edited by a moderator:

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Foxfi with 4.4.2

it's part of the plan now. i'm not paying any more per month with my note and mobile hotspot then i was with my droid without mobile hotspot.

they've thrown mobile into the plan now. although, the charges are different with mobile added in.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Have you considered paying Verizon for the service you want to use?

Many consumers feel the hotspot charge is a huge RIP OFF and don't want to indulge Verizon's beancounters proclivity for screwing customers.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Many consumers feel the hotspot charge is a huge RIP OFF and don't want to indulge Verizon's beancounters proclivity for screwing customers.

I guess that's as good an argument for stealing the service as any other, but it seems to me that people go to a lot of effort to get free tethering. Is it really that expensive?

Last edited:

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I guess that's as good an argument for stealing the service as any other, but it seems to me that people go to a lot of effort to get free tethering. Is it really that expensive?
I don't look at using the data with my tablet instead of my phone as "stealing", I'm using the tablet instead of the phone to do what I could still do with the phone if I didn't want the larger display. I seldom need this, but when I can't access wifi it is nice to be able to connect with my Note 8 and get things done with the larger display. I pay for the data plan, $30/month. I'm not using anything that I haven't paid for, why do you use "stealing" in your post?
In response to your question above
(Have you considered paying Verizon for the service you want to use?), again, I am paying for it.

Last edited:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

II pay for the data plan, $30/month. I'm not using anything that I haven't paid for, why do you use "stealing" in your post?

Of course you are. When you signed up with Verizon, you entered into a contract with them where they would provide you certain services for a certain amount of money. One of those services was some amount of data, that you were allowed to use in certain ways. Wifi tethering was not one of those ways. If you wanted to use it for that, you were obliged to sign up for a different plan.

So, if you are using a feature that you haven't paid for, I look at that as "stealing". What would you call using something you haven't paid for?

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Obviously, my original question about the limitations of the Bluetooth connection got lost in the discussion of morals and stealing. Getting back to my original question, can I use Bluetooth for e-mail and Junos Pulse(SSLVPN), or am I out of luck, if and when 4.4 hits my Note 2?

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Of course you are. When you signed up with Verizon, you entered into a contract with them where they would provide you certain services for a certain amount of money. One of those services was some amount of data, that you were allowed to use in certain ways. Wifi tethering was not one of those ways. If you wanted to use it for that, you were obliged to sign up for a different plan.

So, if you are using a feature that you haven't paid for, I look at that as "stealing". What would you call using something you haven't paid for?
Interesting, you must have a copy of my contract that I can't find, can you show me where that is stated in my contract?

Jay Sloan

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Obviously MrMLK doesn't understand what Verizon is supposed to allow per their settlement with the FCC. Below is a link if you'd enjoy reading how they are violating the settlement they agreed to in 2012.

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

Posted via Android Central App
MrMLK refers to my contract, the last contract I signed with Verizon didn't discuss data plans, that wasn't an issue when I signed up with Verizon many years ago. I gravitated into devices that used data over the years and did this with upgrades and my last upgrade to the Note 2 was done at Sam's, with the swap of numbers between my old phone and my wife's phone done on the 800 number. Nobody discussed the limitations of data usage. The bottom line is, I use less than 2 GB of data in a normal month and rarely tether. I just want to be able to when wifi isn't available. I'm not trying to power my whole home with a data connection. I'm not trying to "steal" anything, I'm trying to use what I pay for with a different device on a rare occasion.

I can't believe I asked a simple question about Bluetooth connection capability and have been cast as an outlaw. And after all of this discussion, I still haven't seen a response to the original question.

Just for the record, I'm using my home wifi connection, not FoxFi for this response, or the previous posts, just to stay legal :)

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

MrMLK refers to my contract, the last contract I signed with Verizon didn't discuss data plans, that wasn't an issue when I signed up with Verizon many years ago. I gravitated into devices that used data over the years and did this with upgrades and my last upgrade to the Note 2 was done at Sam's, with the swap of numbers between my old phone and my wife's phone done on the 800 number. Nobody discussed the limitations of data usage. The bottom line is, I use less than 2 GB of data in a normal month and rarely tether. I just want to be able to when wifi isn't available. I'm not trying to power my whole home with a data connection. I'm not trying to "steal" anything, I'm trying to use what I pay for with a different device on a rare occasion.

I can't believe I asked a simple question about Bluetooth connection capability and have been cast as an outlaw. And after all of this discussion, I still haven't seen a response to the original question.

Just for the record, I'm using my home wifi connection, not FoxFi for this response, or the previous posts, just to stay legal :)

I'm just like you, I have an 8 inch note tablet and I use to tether with my phone before the 4.3 update. Now I don't want to go to the hassle to do all I have to do to use FOXFI again. I get 1gb of data and dropped down to 500 mb of data, because I never use anything over 250mb if that a month. I pay for more, so How I use it I think is totally acceptable. Otherwise I'm wasting money on an amount I'm paying for and not using the full amount. I don't call it stealing, just using it with another device. The amount I'm using is still being tracked, just not using with the same device.

Bohanna1

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Ya gotta love the dunderheads who support the "you are stealing services" carrier line. You get a set amount of data. It doesn't matter how you use it. Its that simple. The TOS are rigged from the get go with unenforceable terms that rely on arbitration instead of court rooms. The latest technique is to send out system updates that disable and hobble customers phones by preventing third party apps from running on them. Sort of like renting someone a car than telling them where they can and CAN'T drive it! . The phone companies are currently trying to Hijack the android system so they can exploit it for their own needs! Same with the iPhone system. BE careful if you do the system updates if you use third party apps !! - Bohanna

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Before we get all upset at Verizon, you should recognize that the issues with FoxFi are related to Android 4.4. No Kitkat phone works with FoxFi. This is a Google change, not a Verizon change Jay, while I thank you for pointing me to the article, a quick jump to the FoxFi pages (FoxFi Devices) will show you that many devices work just fine on Verizon, so perhaps they aren't violating the service as much as you suppose.

Getting back to the original question by the OP.

Currently people on 4.4 devices have the option to pay Verizon for their service, or to go without. If that's a problem, complain to Google.

Bohanna1

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Sorry dude .. Kitkat is being pushed on us by the carriers who sell the phones and are kicking back samsung and other phone manufactures while eliminating third party apps that they consider damaging to their business models. Android is based on the lynux operating system thats been around for years as a user customisable system. My original comment still stands. The ONLY thing thats improved is the way the carriers wanted it. They KNOW the will lose their shirts in court so they have found ways to keep you from using the service you are paying for! BTW if you think that the folks at the major carriers have not been using google and others to game the system to their advantage I have some Ocean front property in Arizona to sell you!! - Bohanna
Before we get all upset at Verizon, you should recognize that the issues with FoxFi are related to Android 4.4. No Kitkat phone works with FoxFi. This is a Google change, not a Verizon change Jay, while I thank you for pointing me to the article, a quick jump to the FoxFi pages (FoxFi Devices) will show you that many devices work just fine on Verizon, so perhaps they aren't violating the service as much as you suppose.

Currently people on 4.4 devices have the option to pay Verizon for their service, or to go without. If that's a problem, complain to Google.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

I'm confused somewhat. If the VZW Galaxy Note 2 can be successfully rooted, does that mean FoxFi wifi-tethering will work no matter what? (4.3 or 4.3 KitKat)

Thanks!

Bohanna1

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Let me make this EVEN simpler . The latest Jellybean updates kills the ability to use foxfi and other types of tethering. ANYBODY who believes this is not a MAJOR change that was deliberately put in at the carriers requests is a fool an I-D-I-O-T or BOTH!! People having the ability to use their tablets and laptops through their phones without having to buy into a contract is the worst thing in the world for phone carriers who stand to make BILLIONS selling overpriced little used contract plans to people who will be using their computers through their home wifi routers and ISP providers-- Bohanna

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm confused somewhat. If the VZW Galaxy Note 2 can be successfully rooted, does that mean FoxFi wifi-tethering will work no matter what? (4.3 or 4.3 KitKat)

I don't think so. I don't think it's an issue of rooting. Google has made some changes to the OS that make it stop working. Its like what they did to 4.3 to make apps that turned on airplane mode stop working.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Let me make this EVEN simpler

I notice you are a new account with all your posts on this one topic. You're just trolling, right? You almost got me, but the random words with all caps and misspelling Linux gave you away.

Good one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non