Is It Worth Rooting and Installing CM 4.2.2?

DJCUEBALL

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence about rooting my Verizon S3 to install CM 4.2.2. Is it an easy process? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I'm new to this and would appreciate all feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just don't rush through. That is why people mess up. Read and understand the entire process, and take your time to. Look at why people fail. Understand how they failed so you don't have to. CM is a great rom.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DJCUEBALL

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I will definitely take my time and read through many tutorials. Is it worth losing any major features from Samsung's modified OS?

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
whats your interest in rooting? for the cool factor of having a rooted phone? or to use its unlocked capabilities?

there are stock debloated roms that still give your all the touchwiz stuff

CM10.1 / 10.2 is what it is packed with allot of features is AOSP if you realy like the stock features of touchwiz CM roms are probably not for you.

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
whats your interest in rooting? for the cool factor of having a rooted phone? or to use its unlocked capabilities?

there are stock debloated roms that still give your all the touchwiz stuff

CM10.1 / 10.2 is what it is packed with allot of features is AOSP if you realy like the stock features of touchwiz CM roms are probably not for you.

Have to agree here. Don't get me wrong CM is great but you will lose alot of features you have with the Touchwiz Rom. But rooting is nice opens up the phone ALOT ....but also comes with a whole new world of things that can go wrong. LikeJohnly said take your time and understand what to do and what not to and read read read.

DJCUEBALL

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My interest is more to make better use of the phone as far as speed, being able to connect a PS3 controller, using the HDMI port and certain apps like Lightflow that are extremely buggy on the current OS. Maybe even to use Google Wallet or certain apps that are not available thanks to big red.

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Bricked my phone. I'll never flash CM again. Too many annoying issues. I prefer AOKP or Baked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

atliens

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
after I saw my sister's Sprint S3 with 4.2.2 i wanted to do this as well...but since I'm a mac user and getting different views on what software works and don't work...i don't think i will jacked up my verizon samsung running 4.1.2 until i see a better option

monkeypunch35

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The GS3 was also my first all-in ROMing device. I started by putting official leaks on my Bionic, which did not require any serious risk. Once I knew I was getting the GS3, I just started reading, a lot. I have every tutorial and guide on XDA bookmarked, for just about any situation. In every guide, I read just about every post to see other people's issues, tips and tricks. There can be a lot of info gained after the first 2 posts. Definitely make sure you back up your IMEI number before you do ANYTHING! I also recommend having insurance on the phone. I personally do not much mess with the custom kernels, but have flashed them. Most flashing is really as easy as just clicking a couple of things and bam, it's done. The important part is making sure you are all set up to do it, and have READ THE DIRECTIONS multiple times.

The big advantage, besides being interesting, has been battery life and Google Wallet. I have run 3-4 AOSP ROMs, and I don't know how many TW ROMs. I reallllly like AOSP better, but keep coming back to CleanROM with Wasabi's Themes. I have yet to find a "perfect" AOSP ROM. I probably liked Baked Bean the best, but still had some nagging problems.

Zeaks

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Bricked my phone. I'll never flash CM again. Too many annoying issues. I prefer AOKP or Baked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I've had more issues with AOKP than CM, with the latest nightly, I haven't noticed anything wrong with cm10.1 on my s3 at&t. I avoid other custom roms, just for the fact they tend to be a buggy version of Cm or AOKP.

Touchwiz isn't bad, if you like the look of it. Really the only thing I liked about it was the fact i could select the number of homescreens I wanted. With CM Trebuchet, it's just like stock with a few options.

Other than the TW, I like the fact I'm running the lastest JB, and I'm not limited to certain apps, I really like dashclock.

I didn't know anything about rooting or custom roms a couple months ago, now rooting, flashing is easy, I can restore my phone anytime back to stock and receive updates if I want. I probably will once stock OS is updated.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Do want your phone to run far smoother, get higher performance and benchmarks and have significantly better battery life? If so, then good God yes.

Sent using Android Central Forums

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I too am sorta on the fence about rooting my phone. I just want all the advantages that come with it, not to mention being able to flash new roms and stuff. I really like customizing my S3, I'm changing my layout almost every few days. I get really annoyed with alot of the touchwiz stuff most the time. I'm still reading about it though to decide if i want to do it or not.
Also quick question, is there any good tutorials for rooting with a macbook? I much much prefer windows but my laptop with windows 7 on it is not working right now. So I am using my wife's macbook. It has the most recent firmware on it. Anyone got any good tips for achieving root using a macbook?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I too am sorta on the fence about rooting my phone. I just want all the advantages that come with it, not to mention being able to flash new roms and stuff. I really like customizing my S3, I'm changing my layout almost every few days. I get really annoyed with alot of the touchwiz stuff most the time. I'm still reading about it though to decide if i want to do it or not.
Also quick question, is there any good tutorials for rooting with a macbook? I much much prefer windows but my laptop with windows 7 on it is not working right now. So I am using my wife's macbook. It has the most recent firmware on it. Anyone got any good tips for achieving root using a macbook?

Suggest checking these out to get an idea for Mac based options.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...98722-mac-root-tool-s3-casual-verizon-s3.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-no-all-mac-way-root-galaxy-s3-jellybean.html

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My interest is more to make better use of the phone as far as speed, being able to connect a PS3 controller, using the HDMI port and certain apps like Lightflow that are extremely buggy on the current OS. Maybe even to use Google Wallet or certain apps that are not available thanks to big red.

I would do this in steps then. Research how to root first, then play around with root required apps. Most ROMs require root anyway, so you are getting one step out of the way. I would suggest trying a different launcher as well (this you can try right now; root access is not necessary). TouchWIz is Samsungs stock launcher; I use Nova, and I love it. It brings custom to a whole new breed of awesome!! However, doing this will cause some things to be lost like Accuweather's widget. They aren't flaws with the program, they just are only compatible with TouchWiz.

While you are playing with your new root and features (root is all that is required for the sixaxis controller app) you can spend time studying ROMs and how to install.

I for one, dislike Cyanogenmod (CM). I don't like the layout, and the fact that it is so dark. But that is just me, go ahead and try it for your first. Be advised: Most ROMs are (CM) based, so if you dislike it as well, best to be absolutely sure what base it is before downloading (most developers will state which base build it is).

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to root using Casual on 4.1.2 or can it only be done on 4.0.4? I'm trying so hard to find a way to root using the macbook, but all the tutorials ONLY work on 4.0.4. Unless I use windows on it. Anybody know of any other ways?