NFC SIM question - VZW S3

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Hoping that you all can give me some advice or opinion. Trying to trouble shoot some weak signal issues I have been having since I moved to a new house and town. I do not think this issue is related to the new update as I have been having the problems since before and think it is more likely a network issue than update issue, or maybe my phone not sure. Anyway, the house I moved into recently is in an area that VZW says has full 4G coverage and should give good signal strength. I also live within line of sight of a VZW 4G cell tower (confirmed by VZW) so my signal should be fantastic (the tower is less than a block from my house). Also I should state that the area I moved from was also covered with 4G and I had AWESOME signal and speed there, also much more rural than where I live now so I think that has something to do with it, so I wasn't convinced I needed a new sim as this one has been doing a fine job up until now.

One of the things they have recommended is to swap sim cards. I have ordered a new sim from their website (which they apparently can do now) for free, but it comes with NFC (their ISIS pay system) functionality.

Does anyone know if this card will really give me better coverage as they have told me? I have heard of some people being dissatisfied with the signal they get with newer cards or is that just a coincidence? My thought is that the newer card should in fact have better network info programmed and therefore be better at acquiring signal? Or is this just wishful thinking?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
They are for most things but VZWs new ISIS payment system uses an nfc SIM card as well. So those are what I'm asking about is if anyone has any experience with them. Many people in the s4 forums have expressed unhappiness with them so I didn't know if that would translate into s3 as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
They are for most things but VZWs new ISIS payment system uses an nfc SIM card as well. So those are what I'm asking about is if anyone has any experience with them. Many people in the s4 forums have expressed unhappiness with them so I didn't know if that would translate into s3 as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

The NFC Sim I put into my S3 did not give me any better signal than I was getting with my old Sim just enables the ISIS feature. The isis feature is why I ordered it.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
As an update on my end of things. I did not seen an improvement in signal with my new sim card either. They do currently have a ticket open for my area to investigate issues with signal. Here's hoping they fix it. Only time will tell.

R G D

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if you are to close to the tower, I drive past a tower all the time, signal drops a mile before I get to it and spikes up while I am next to it and then drops out for about 2 mile after I pass it. It seems the signal is week wen to close.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
drmaf894c,
I reread your original post and had an assumption to clarify and some new questions.
Assumption: the same phone and ISIS-capable SIM worked fine in your old town/house, correct?
Questions:
- in your new town/house, are you having signal problems with mobile data, cellular, or both?
- are you having these problems everywhere else, or just at your house?
- if you go back to your old town/house, is everything working normally?
- have you considered one of those Verizon extenders (yes, I realize that it sucks to have to pay extra just to get the same basic service that you were getting - if you bring the topic up with Verizon perhaps they'll cut you a deal)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4