Wife's Rezound won't take a charge anymore

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
We didn't have Assurion, and the phone was out of the return window. But here is what happened. My wife called me to come down there since things were not going well. I guess a couple of the pins were missing and they were saying that this was damage caused by her, so they couldn't do anything. My wife informed them that the pins had been loose since the beginning, the chargers kept falling out, never seating tightly and not all cords would even work. I do remember her talking about this problem, but forgot about it entirely since she just made do. So, basically, the unit was defective when we got it.

They got obstinate and said that we should have raised the issue right away and that, by waiting, we forfeited any right to complain about it now that some of the pins actually came out. They said, further, that there was no way to determine whether we were telling the truth about the pins having been loose. There was a fairly heated exchange in which I pointed out that we had, over the last couple years bought two Incredibles, a Droid, a Thunderbolt, a Razr Maxx, a Nexus and a Rezound and that we are good customers and should be given the benefit of the doubt and not be punished for trying to make a defective product work.

In the end, they agreed to order a replacement to come overnight, and we would send back the existing phone. But they warned that Verizon may see the lack of pins and want to charge the full price of the phone. At which point I will call them directly and deal with it.

So, we will see.

These are complaints I see all the time. Customers need to realize that they are not always right. There is no way, if not previously shown, for them to be certain that the damage was a defect and not mishandling. That type of damage is not uncommon and can be caused by many things like jamming the plug, picking the phone up by the cord, etc. Not to say that was the case here, just showing that you need to understand their skepticism.
If customers would see, on a daily basis, the number of people that "didn't drop the phone" "didn't do anything" "didn't make that call" "didn't subscribe to that service" etc. they would have a little more understanding as to why this can go in one ear and out the other. In the end, sometimes the customer has to take some responsibility, once an issue is noticed it should be reported.
Two things to take away, 1. getting "heated" will never solve anything and actually make your situation worse, 2. one of the worst things you can do is try to leverage with how many phones you've bought, how long you have been a customer, how much you pay each month, etc each situation is different and has different guidelines to be followed and these don't do anything to change that.
/end rant

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
These are complaints I see all the time. Customers need to realize that they are not always right. There is no way, if not previously shown, for them to be certain that the damage was a defect and not mishandling. That type of damage is not uncommon and can be caused by many things like jamming the plug, picking the phone up by the cord, etc. Not to say that was the case here, just showing that you need to understand their skepticism.
If customers would see, on a daily basis, the number of people that "didn't drop the phone" "didn't do anything" "didn't make that call" "didn't subscribe to that service" etc. they would have a little more understanding as to why this can go in one ear and out the other. In the end, sometimes the customer has to take some responsibility, once an issue is noticed it should be reported.
Two things to take away, 1. getting "heated" will never solve anything and actually make your situation worse, 2. one of the worst things you can do is try to leverage with how many phones you've bought, how long you have been a customer, how much you pay each month, etc each situation is different and has different guidelines to be followed and these don't do anything to change that.
/end rant

I seriously get that a lot of people don't want to take any personal responsibility for their actions, but to say that a long term customer should not leverage his or her business to get what he or she wants, in my opinion, is short sighted on your part.

If a company wants to retain its good customers, then sometimes the company needs to bend. If not, there are other companies that can provide the same service to that long term customer who spends plenty of bucks each year buying service from that company.

If Vance had a history of not taking responsibility, that would be one thing. But you seem to be lumping him into a category of ugly and dishonest and I am not sure who you are to come out here and scold him.

Oh, and just for your information, I have leveraged my long term customer history with Verizon and yes, I have gotten what I wanted. So, to Vance, I say continue to stick up for yourself.

Reactions: Aimperial and TBolt

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So, to Vance, I say continue to stick up for yourself.

I'd debate that it is not "sticking up for yourself". He was using the amount of phones/years to say they should just believe him. When you are outside of the return period, the burden of proof lies on you to show it was not damage, not on the store rep to prove that it was.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry, I haven't heard of anyone being charged for sending back a phone with defective or missing pins. That charge is more for people who have phones with cracks or substantial physical damage or took it for a swim.

Did you confirm that you will get a new retail box replacement? Normally warrantied phones through verizon are clnr.

I agree with the above statement. As long as there is no water damage and the screen isn't obliterated, you are good to go.

As far as leveraging year/customer loyalty.

Hell yeah!. Many moons ago you always took care of your best customers. Why? Because they are the ones that say how great you have always been. Now if a long term customer is nothing but a PITA, then you let them become someone elses headache.

I have leveraged my 5 phones and my 15+ years with the variations of verizon over the course of the Fascinate fiasco and with a few other smaller things.

What I have learned is that if the issue comes to that point, you do not do it with level 1, they will just dig in. You do it with level 2, they are the ones that are more "lifer" prone and actually care a bit

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the above statement. As long as there is no water damage and the screen isn't obliterated, you are good to go.

Hell yeah!. Many moons ago you always took care of your best customers. Why? Because they are the ones that say how great you have always been. Now if a long term customer is nothing but a PITA, then you let them become someone elses headache.

I have leveraged my 5 phones and my 15+ years with the variations of verizon over the course of the Fascinate fiasco and with a few other smaller things.

What I have learned is that if the issue comes to that point, you do not do it with level 1, they will just dig in. You do it with level 2, they are the ones that are more "lifer" prone and actually care a bit

So in a nutshell, Level 1= Gestapo & Level 2= The Get Along Gang

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Not quite that bad or that easy. Sometimes level 1 doesnt have the power to do what needs to be done, and sometimes level 2 cannot.

What you do not want to do is get all high and mighty with level 1.

I was just being an idiot. Tier 2 support is where you go when you want help when it comes to customer service. Wish they had an extention so we could just bypass the CSRs.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
2. one of the worst things you can do is try to leverage with how many phones you've bought, how long you have been a customer, how much you pay each month, etc each situation is different and has different guidelines to be followed and these don't do anything to change that.
/end rant

Worst advice ever.

Either you are a frustrated Verizon employee or are a stockholder with little compassion for the company's best asset - its loyal customers.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Worst advice ever.

Either you are a frustrated Verizon employee or are a stockholder with little compassion for the company's best asset - its loyal customers.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
This may work at the corporate CS level, I'm speaking about the store level. Reps hear this everyday and it's almost always overexaggerated (especially when it comes to how long someone has been a customer), so they tend not to listen.
What I'm saying is that if you want help at the store level, keep calm and don't threaten since it typically doesn't get you anywhere. If you have a request that is outside of normal policy, call executive CS.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tier 1 is basic csr. They take care of billing issues and other basic tasks and very rudimentary technical support. Tier 2 is the real tech support.
I never had to leverage to get anything. Heck, I got my second rezound as a warranty replacement for the thunderbolt and didn't leverage anything. One thing you can try if assuming your request is reasonable is to ask to talk to a supervisor. I had to do that one time. One thing I noticed, be firm but always be calm and friendly. If you get a pissy voice or start getting angry, then they will get defensive and it is usually harder to resolve issues.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This may work at the corporate CS level, I'm speaking about the store level. Reps hear this everyday and it's almost always overexaggerated (especially when it comes to how long someone has been a customer), so they tend not to listen.
What I'm saying is that if you want help at the store level, keep calm and don't threaten since it typically doesn't get you anywhere. If you have a request that is outside of normal policy, call executive CS.

The last part is true, you do need to stay calm. The first part is ok but we live in the digital age, they have full access including how long you have been a customer, they do not need a BS detector, just a few keystrokes to find out if you are full of it.

You are right though in the fast that I wouldnt go to a store to get any of this done. I would always call CS. Mostly because whether you go in or call, you are more than likely going to get the same result, they will overnight you a CLN. They are not going to give you one off the shelf so why waste the time going out?

Second, I believe they work on some kind of commission scale as well as wage, the guy in the store is trying to sell you a new handset, or your taking away his time from someone else who might want one, but either way he is going to do his best to either get rid of you or tell you you have to buy a new one.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Verizon, from what I see, is that it has gotten so huge that it appears as if CRs are trained now to NOT escalate calls to their supervisors no matter how much the call needs to be escalated ... which then turns the conversation into a heated and ugly battle.

During the last issue I had with Verizon, I actually had to email executives to get my situation dealt with properly. And forget pressing whatever number for technical support. You are going to get a regular rep, who has no clue, and it takes about ten calls on the same issue to actually be sent to “real” tech support or have a trouble ticket sent to “real” tech support.

Verizon has totally lost it when it comes to customer service. And for the rep who is posting on this thread, you said it all: you all have STOPPED listening.

My advice to you is this: Get the cotton out of your ears and move it to your mouth and if you can't do that, find a new line of work. Your message to Vance makes you sound jaded to the point that you no longer have any idea what customer service is all about.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Say you have an issue, knowing full well a CSR will not troubleshoot a solution from the word go. It's kind of rude but, has anyone here ever flat out ask a CSR to just patch you through to Tier 2 tech support?.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Say you have an issue, knowing full well a CSR will not troubleshoot a solution from the word go. It's kind of rude but, has anyone here ever flat out ask a CSR to just patch you through to Tier 2 tech support?.

I am not sure if I have ever asked for a tier 2 tech support rep, but I know when I have asked for a supervisor the reps have told me that they need to take a message and the supervisor will call back.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My advice to you is this: Get the cotton out of your ears and move it to your mouth and if you can't do that, find a new line of work. Your message to Vance makes you sound jaded to the point that you no longer have any idea what customer service is all about.
Sorry, but the thought that CS is simply giving the customer everything they want no matter what, is an outdated and misguided idea. If a customer comes in with a phone with physical damage, CS is not saying "Oh you've been a customer for X number of years, we'll overlook it this time". That puts the rep and potentially manager's jobs on the line. If you notice issues ni the return period, get it fixed, if not, get insurance.

CS =/= "Overlook policy to do whatever I want you to do"

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I have. It all depends on the rep you get. They get dinged if they don't follow the guidelines though, so I normally make it very clear that I have already pulled the battery, reset the phone and updated the PRL. Still some will make you go through it again before they will transfer, so I just pretend I'm doing all that.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I have. It all depends on the rep you get. They get dinged if they don't follow the guidelines though, so I normally make it very clear that I have already pulled the battery, reset the phone and updated the PRL. Still some will make you go through it again before they will transfer, so I just pretend I'm doing all that.

That's exactly what I force myself to do, go through the motions without really going. Until I hear the magic words, I need to put you on the line w/ so & so, will you hold.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I have given them a fighting chance, but not a long one. If I have explained the problem more than once, to different CSRs, I usually do not bother with the 3rd when they say "Do a factory reset".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress