Mobile Hotspot vs Comcast Internet: Pros and Cons

jdoute13

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Now that the TBolt has the unlimited Mobile Hotspot plan, I am debating eliminating my Comcast Internet (which is substantially more per month) and using the Mobile Hotspot as my main (and only) method of connecting my PC and/or iPad to the internet. I am not interested in a tethering type mode (wouldn't work for the iPad) nor am I interested in rooting my Thunderbolt. I don't believe I qualify as an intensive internet user on the PC/iPad other than emails, social networking, light surfing and stream music from iTunes to AppleTV - but speed is a concern and I would still like to send music (without issue) from my computer to my AppleTV. What are the pros/cons for eliminating Comcast and relying solely on the Mobile HotSpot?

Thanks!

Reactions: dannyb884

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about this for myself as well. The cons for me is that my xbox 360 would have to run off the phones 3G signal, and im not sure if that would be powerfull enough, i dont think the data usage would be to extensive using it for the xbox. I hear that streaming/downloading music is more data extensive. I also currently dont have 4G at my house so that another disadvantage. You computer would have to have blutooth to connect to your phone or you would have wired together.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
IMO, I would never go with just a wireless (cell) Internet connection. There are just too many things that can affect wireless versus a wired connection. Also, I wouldn't want my Internet tied to my phone in case it fails, it gets stolen, or you forget it somewhere. At least with cable or DSL, it's always there at the ready. There is also the issue of power. You'd have to keep the phone plugged in most of the time which would limit its mobility. Also, this wouldn't work very well if there are others in the house that need to use the Internet and you took the phone with you while running an errand. I just see way too many potential cons to using it has a primary Internet connection.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Now that the TBolt has the unlimited Mobile Hotspot plan, I am debating eliminating my Comcast Internet
Coupla things you might want to consider.

-VZW's TOS specifies that the MHS/MBBC is not meant to be used as a replacement for a permanent home Internet connection.

-Although we are "unlimited" for now, you'll remember that the old 3G data plans and the old VZAccess DUN Tethering plans also stated "unlimited", even though later VZW announced that they reserve the right to throttle (reduce speed) on the high-usage users. Will the 4G MHS/MBBC follow that scenario? Only time will tell.

-As good as the MHS/MBBC is on the 4G network, it is still wireless. Really, there is no wireless cellular system anywhere that will have the reliability of a wired system.

Just food for thought. To each his own. I understand that.

-Frank

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about this for myself as well. The cons for me is that my xbox 360 would have to run off the phones 3G signal, and im not sure if that would be powerfull enough, i dont think the data usage would be to extensive using it for the xbox. I hear that streaming/downloading music is more data extensive. I also currently dont have 4G at my house so that another disadvantage. You computer would have to have blutooth to connect to your phone or you would have wired together.

4G isn't optimal for XBOX Live much less 3G. That would be a nightmare.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You already know the only PRO...price. Pretty much anything else I can think of is a CON.

First off, Apple TV doesn't *need* Internet access to stream music from iTunes locally, but your computer and device need to be on same network (obviously), either you'd have to keep a router up as a secondary connection, or use the mobile hotspot for both devices (and I'm not sure if that works or not?).

Secondly, as was already mentioned, everytime you leave your house, you take the "Internet" with you, so if there are other people at your house, they can't use the Internet if you have your phone with you and you're not there.

A lot of newer devices and household appliances can take advantage of connecting to your home Internet connection, which you wouldn't be able to use.

Off the top of my head, at my home, I have:
2 computers (laptop, desktop)
Tablet
Media Center PC
PS3
Wii
Slingbox

All connected to my Internet. No way I could support that with just mobile hotpot.

If you don't have other family members using computers and you don't have as much need for a constant connection, then it might work for you, but I almost guarantee you that the Apple TV thing will give you headaches.

l0wr1d3r

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Just test it out before you cut the cord. Definitely run speedtests and find the sweetspot in your house. And tempting as it is, don't burn any bridges leaving Comcast, they offer steep discounts on internet service at the drop of a hat.

Speaking from experience, replacing a cable modem with 4G hotspot for http, email, heavy streaming audio and mild streaming video hasn't been a problem with avg 5mbps.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Regarding your Xbox...
The latency of you LTE connection, will
Make for a real lagging,and lots of disconnecting experience.

We have tried the mobile hotspot from a friends
TB with full bars of LTE signal on his box360.

Latency is over 200ms at best.
Fwiw.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Latency is going to be a pretty big issue if you plan on doing any serious internet usage or gaming using the Mobile Hotspot. My Time Warner cable internet averages about 15ms latency or ping (using Speedtest.net) whereas my Thunderbolt averages well over 100 and sometimes more (using speedtest.net app). So although it is fast there is definitely a lot more latency to LTE or 3G.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, as already stated upload/download speeds don't mean jack if your ping times suck, which they will. Latency will kill you.

I have 5 people and probably 15 web connected devices in my home, so it's not a consideration at any price. I guess if you live alone and don't rely heavily on the internet for any service other than the one you're currently using you could try it. Not a god idea in my opinion.

jdoute13

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the helpful input and advice. I have been running wireless with every device in my house for several years even with Comcast - nothing is wired in, not even AppleTV. I'm not a gamer so I don't need to worry about any xboxes. I performed a little test yesterday and with 5 devices (AppleTV, laptop, iPad, printer, and Nook) connected simultaneously (and wireless) to the phone I was able to use ALL at once without even the slightest hint of a hiccup or delay. I can't say the same for when I'm using Comcast. Of course, having those 5 devices connected simultaneously (with all of them actively downloading, streaming) is an extreme event and would not happen with normal daily use, I was just testing the capabilities. I have a very strong 4G connection in my house. "Taking the internet" with me when I leave the house is also not a concern. I must say that up until now, I was pretty neutral - neither extremely pleased nor disappointed in the Thunderbolt...but after these tests, I'm quite impressed with the little guy and the 4G. And while I agree that eliminating wired connections may not be beneficial for most people, I'm pretty sure I fall on the spectrum of "light" internet usage. I still have some things to consider and I really appreciate the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38