New app, new icon on the home screen

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Anybody have any idea why, for every app I install now, I suddenly get an icon for that app somewhere on the homescreen? EVERYthing I add gets an icon placement automatically, and randomly, somewhere on the home screen. Never used to be this way. Is this a setting change I missed? Is some other app doing this to me that I'm not aware of ..?

Anybody have this happening?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Anybody have any idea why, for every app I install now, I suddenly get an icon for that app somewhere on the homescreen? EVERYthing I add gets an icon placement automatically, and randomly, somewhere on the home screen. Never used to be this way. Is this a setting change I missed? Is some other app doing this to me that I'm not aware of ..?

Anybody have this happening?

There's a setting in the market (I have no idea if it's new) to "Auto-add widgets" - Automatically add Home Screen widgets for new apps". Is that, by chance, checked for you? Go into the Marketplace, hit MENU, and select "Settings". It's the 4th checkbox.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
There's a setting in the market (I have no idea if it's new) to "Auto-add widgets" - Automatically add Home Screen widgets for new apps". Is that, by chance, checked for you? Go into the Marketplace, hit MENU, and select "Settings". It's the 4th checkbox.

Nateboy, bam - you nailed it - thank you! "auto-add shortcuts" is there and was checked. Disturbing, though, is that I'm just about certain I never checked that myself. That would mean it was added as a features AND the option was checked by default - without the user knowing. Hate when that happens.

Thanks again!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Nateboy, bam - you nailed it - thank you! "auto-add shortcuts" is there and was checked. Disturbing, though, is that I'm just about certain I never checked that myself. That would mean it was added as a features AND the option was checked by default - without the user knowing. Hate when that happens.

Thanks again!

Glad it helped.

I'm fairly certain it was unchecked for me, but I noticed the Appstore had a new look and went into the configuration looking for new options, and just noticed that one. If it was checked, I just deselcted it without really noticing.

Checkboxes like this don't really concern me - deleting a shortcut/widget is really easy anyway. It's not an escalation of permissions or anything.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Glad it helped.

I'm fairly certain it was unchecked for me, but I noticed the Appstore had a new look and went into the configuration looking for new options, and just noticed that one. If it was checked, I just deselcted it without really noticing.

Checkboxes like this don't really concern me - deleting a shortcut/widget is really easy anyway. It's not an escalation of permissions or anything.

You're right, but it is a huge change on behavior that went unexplained, hence this conversation. ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa