Now that you have your S4 how do you like it, pros/ cons

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
biggest con so far is that the S4 isn't compatible with most D-Link routers. Samsung only said to buy a new router. Nice reply Apple Jr.

Actually, IIRC from when I did tech support for various Internet providers, lots of things aren't compatible with lots of D-Link routers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I got mine yesterday from the Verizon Store. So far I'm really loving this thing...very fast, great screen, more features than I think I will ever use..... It's sort of overwhelming for me as I'm coming from the stone age (Samsung Galaxy Fascinate) Now if I can only figure out all these new features I will be good :)

jzamorski

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Good point. My area works flawlessly for almost any carrier. The DFW metroplex is a hotbed for delivering the highest possible technology not only for cellular but also other things like internet and HDTV. The problems arise when you venture out into the wild, wild west of the massiveness that is the state of TX and rely on Google Nav/Maps to get you there and trying to get a phone or internet connection out in the hinterlands.

The unlimited data is only one reason I'm clinging to Verizon even as they pry every last dollar they can from my wallet. I've made it a personal mission to explore all of TX and, so far, have been gobsmacked to find myself in places so remote the locals have to take a bus to town to hunt and yet I can still use CGeo on Verizon to find a geo-cache! Of course this means I want the phone with the best 3G/LTE/wifi radios and they don't have a problem with switching between them.

Just a quick edit, I currently have the much maligned HTC Thunderbolt and, in the beginning, the radios sucked. Then we got updates, way too long IMHO, that made the reception much better. The recent ICS update has made radio reception better still but at the expense of other functions. The hardware just isn't up to the task of the new OS as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, based on the new phones available on Verizon, I'm still in no hurry to switch no matter how slow or outdated the TBolt may be.
I upgraded from the Thunderbolt... you are missing out. It is so much faster with everything, its unreal.
The hardware is great, and really most of the updates from Google I/O appear to be within applications, not the OS itself. I went ahead and upgraded and I am glad I did. It's nice not charging the phone constantly lol

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a DROID DNA. My observations.

Sometimes the S4 is faster. Sometimes it lags (scrolling through facebook pictures, opening a bookmark in chrome). Hopefully we will get an OTA update soon.
Having wifi issues -- downloading from play store, the download gets "stuck". Flipping off wifi and it continues on. Wife's does the same thing.
I love the AMOLED screen. The S3 wasn't bright enough for me in sunlight, the S4 is. Colors are beautiful.
Much preferring TW to sense4+ on the DNA.
Why Verizon removed the wifi toggle hurts my head. I was really looking forward to that coming from HTC.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Sometimes the S4 is faster. Sometimes it lags (scrolling through facebook pictures, opening a bookmark in chrome). Hopefully we will get an OTA update soon.
Having wifi issues -- downloading from play store, the download gets "stuck". Flipping off wifi and it continues on. Wife's does the same thing.
I love the AMOLED screen. The S3 wasn't bright enough for me in sunlight, the S4 is. Colors are beautiful.
Why Verizon removed the wifi toggle hurts my head. I was really looking forward to that coming from HTC.

I am seriously thinking about dumping the DNA. What are the pros and cons between the two?

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I am seriously thinking about dumping the DNA. What are the pros and cons between the two?

I doubt the DNA will get any updates unless you are willing to Root. I am not. 4.3 is just around the corner. I don't use a case, S4 feels better in the hand. Camera and camera features are better.

It's not a huge update, but I figured I should dump the DNA while it has value so that I go with a supported device. I was also on my 3rd DNA and I just find it buggy.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Speculation tells me Verizon wants you to use mobile data. They make it more of a hassle for wifi therefore we rely more on mobile data since most people have only the 2 gig to utilize. And using more mobile data can possibly bring more revenue, especially even if you go over just 1kb they will charge you 10 dollars for the 1gig overage. Bringing in more revenue is good for the business.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
My Play Store gets stuck too. I am on the Note II. If using mobile data the Play Store works fine. I am not sure, but I think it is Google Play more than it is our devices. Before the last several Play Store updates it worked fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note II using Android Central Forums

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
My Play Store gets stuck too. I am on the Note II. If using mobile data the Play Store works fine. I am not sure, but I think it is Google Play more than it is our devices. Before the last several Play Store updates it worked fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note II using Android Central Forums

My DNA had zero issues after the play store updates. Won't hold that against the phone until I get more information. At least it works over LTE which is faster anyway.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the DNA will get any updates unless you are willing to Root. I am not. 4.3 is just around the corner. I don't use a case, S4 feels better in the hand. Camera and camera features are better.

It's not a huge update, but I figured I should dump the DNA while it has value so that I go with a supported device. I was also on my 3rd DNA and I just find it buggy.

My 5th DNA will be delivered today. Need I say more?

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
That is a whole lot of DNAs. I know people have been getting replacement after replacement. That makes me wonder about the actual percentage of functional DNAs out there that haven't had any issues. Seems like it would be very low. Considering on how much it cost to built that phone in the first place I wonder who takes the hit, verizon or HTC...

jzamorski

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Speculation tells me Verizon wants you to use mobile data. They make it more of a hassle for wifi therefore we rely more on mobile data since most people have only the 2 gig to utilize. And using more mobile data can possibly bring more revenue, especially even if you go over just 1kb they will charge you 10 dollars for the 1gig overage. Bringing in more revenue is good for the business.

The wifi is right in the ongoing section when you pull down the notification bar. I fail to see why this is a huge problem that its missing from the quick settings part, or whatever the name of it is.

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The wifi is right in the ongoing section when you pull down the notification bar. I fail to see why this is a huge problem that its missing from the quick settings part, or whatever the name of it is.

Seriously? Swipe down and push toggle vs swipe, push wifi, push button, hit back or home. It's annoying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I'm on Verizon, I got my S4 yesterday and it not only remembered my WiFi settings from my previous phone, it worked flawlessly (and way faster than on my old Droid X2) when downloading all my apps and updates. My data usage hasn't actually changed since I got my phone.

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I just leave it on and then turn off the notification and never think about it again.

Don't notice any difference in battery.

champr

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I got mine yesterday from the Verizon Store. So far I'm really loving this thing...very fast, great screen, more features than I think I will ever use..... It's sort of overwhelming for me as I'm coming from the stone age (Samsung Galaxy Fascinate) Now if I can only figure out all these new features I will be good :)

I too picked up the S4 from Verizon yesterday and came from the Fascinate. Big change and I am slowly getting used to the udpates. Very happy with the decission to get this phone.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I just leave it on and then turn off the notification and never think about it again.

Don't notice any difference in battery.

I haven't ever really noticed a difference on other phones, either, but I haven't had the S4 long enough to judge.

If you really want to be quick about it you can get some NFC tags, get creative with Tasker, or both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez