Verizon Galaxy S4: Can this phone be taken to Straight Talk and still use Verizon towers?

camarosrus

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
FYI, I am using my VZN branded Galaxy S4 with T-Mobile. Changed the mobile network to Global
and APN was reset at the T-Mobil store. I am on the Simple Starter plan with 2 Gig of Data for $45.

I am having trouble figuring out how to set my voice mail announcement. The prescribed method not working ???

macmaven

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can this phone be taken to Straight Talk and still use Verizon Towers?

I've checked for a COMPREHENSIVE answer to the StraightTalk CDMA vs. GSM phones, and their current Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4 offerings vs. their BYOP plan for quite a while now. Your post was VERY COMPLETE and informative. I had attempted to help a friend get a Verizon Galaxy SIII (4G) working with StraightTalk earlier this year, and was told that the phone wasn't supported. I now understand WHY this was the case, as it makes complete sense that Verizon wouldn't want to congest their 4G towers with a lot of extra phones that are on the low-end of the cost spectrum re: monthly charges.

I currently have a StraightTalk-branded (a.k.a. TracFone) Samsung Galaxy SIII (3G). I am also currently checking on a new phone for my brother, and had suggested going with StraightTalk, and possibly one of the Samsung Galaxy S4 (4G) models for $499 (or possibly the S4 Mini for $349). However I was unable to determine from StraightTalk's website (or from Walmart where it's likely that I'd actually purchase the phone for $449 since ironically it's $50 cheaper than directly from StraightTalk) what carrier(s) were supported by these phones.

After reading your post, it's clear to me that these Samsung Galaxy S4 (4G LTE) phones are GSM-based and most-likely use AT&T as their carrier (or possibly T-Mobile). We live in a relatively-rural area, without a lot of support for AT&T phones. If we lived in a larger metropolitan area such as Minneapolis (which is 90 miles northwest) then the Samsung Galaxy S4 (4G LTE) would be an AWESOME choice!

So for now, I'll just recommend to my brother that he sticks with the StraightTalk-branded Samsung Galaxy SIII (3G) using Verizon's towers. This is my current setup, and has been working well. Seriously who REALLY NEEDS a 5" + screen for a "phone", plus a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor is still fast enough for my needs. I mean, I do have several laptops and tablets available. My biggest "upgrade" so far was to purchase one of the Anker 7200 mA batteries ($33 from Amazon) to increase my "unplugged" time from around 10-16 hours (depending on WiFi / GPS / signal strength, etc.) to around 67+ hours. Now instead of recharging the original 2100 mA battery DAILY, I only charge 2-3 times a week!

I generally don't "Reply" to posts, because they're generally not all that helpful. Your post was an exception - I even needed to create the user account, then click on the registration link, then go back to the webpage and login to reply. THANK YOU AGAIN !!! I GREATLY APPRECIATE THE INFO. THAT YOU PROVIDED !!!

sureshot40sw

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 Verizon I phone 4's on Straight talk right now ... I had to call Verizon to set them up .. they work better than most Verizon branded phones around here.. no issues at all..

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can this phone be taken to Straight Talk and still use Verizon Towers?

Ok so I just got verizon s4 checked to see if it was compatible said yes, when I purchased byop kit $65 tried to register access code and all of a sudden no service in my zip code. I know you guys are using it as gsm with sim what do I put in as an IMEI # as we don't want them to know it's an s4 we are sneaking in the back door per se? Thank you!

jerry2460

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
What did you do to get the galaxy s4 from verizon to work on straight talk ive been trying for like five hours and cant figure it out do i need to unlock it? if so how do i? TIA

Brandon Lee5

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I am sorry to hear about your trouble. First of all sprint phones are even worth wiping my a** with let alone talk on, if you can get a signal anywhere. The programming on a phone branded for sprint is completely different than for Verizon phones. Verizon cdma/lte phones use a sim card that can be unlocked to be used on Straight Talk. sprint does not use sim cards what so ever. I would have that sprint phone crushed and thrown away because that is the only good use you will get out of them.

Do you know how to unlock a Verizon s5 to use on straight talk?

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes it will work. I did the same thing with my S3 and S4. Purchase a starter package from Straight Talk that has the SIMs and use the AT&T sim inside (I know, you had Verizon, but trust me). Then update your APN settings from the text that Straight Talk will send you. Its easy

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I set up my S4 using Straight Talk and it was easy. When I set up an S3 two years ago on straight talk, they told me It couldn't be done, but I did it anyway with APN settings I got offline and it worked GREAT. I will say that the S4 was easier tho and works better.
simple. just use the proper sim card in the straight talk starter packet, and update your APN settings (straight talk will walk you through).

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
have Verizon send you the unlock code (or if your phone isn't locked up when you put in the straight talk sim card, you don't need to unlock it - as in, if you can access the screens). Then update your APN settings (instructions online or call straight talk and they will email or text the settings. its pretty easy). Then everything works and its so much cheaper than Verizon.

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I used my galaxy on straight talk using Verizon towers and it worked great. Unlock the phone by calling your old carrier and getting the pin (or if the phone isn't locked up after putting in the new sim card from straight talk then you don't need to unlock it - some already come unlocked), then just update the APN settings by calling straight talk (they walk you through) its pretty simple. The Verizon phones work great and so much better than what Straight Talk has to offer.

jamielynn1983

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I recently just came into this problem. I ordered a straighttalk Galaxy S4 from the straightalk website. I put in my location so they did know the tower issue we have. I had a lot of problems not being able to text or get signal. It came from Straighttalk so I assumed the problem was on their end. They tried to find out what was going on and nobody could figure it out. After two weeks with this issue I was finally informed by Straighttalk that the Samsung Galaxy S4 and above only work with AT&T towers. We (of Course) do not pick up AT&T towers where I live, only Verizon towers. Verizon does have the 4g network, however straightalk has not been given permission, as of yet, to use Verizon Towers for any 4g product. It may happen later but as of now The galaxy s4 and s5 will only use AT&T towers.

viper1025

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a SG3 from verizon and use straight talk. 49.95 unlimited plan. I run the test on straight talk and they said it wouldn't work. So picked one up to try. Like the wife says. I don't listen well until i prove it to my self. We are both using straight talks on Verizon sg3's now on at&t towers.
Recommend it? Depends. We simply couldn't afford the expense of Verizon who we had for years. Nott with all the extras for the smart phones and high data plans. So after i was forced out of my unlimited data by throttling me to a halt each month. I went to straight talk. Slower yes. Full coverage? for most part. Some times hit an miss though. But these days we tend to use our home Wifi mostly. And with the spread of wifi most people really don't need a lot of data. At least we don't.

Cassandra Tipton1

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Your misinformed or dont know squat about technology. I have a Galaxy s5 and YES Sprint does use SIM cards now and YES it can be unlocked because mine is unlocked. Just like i unlocked my SPRINT LG G3 AND PUT A ATT SIM IN IT AND GUESS WHAT?? EVERYTHING INCLUDING 4G WORKS!

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a SG3 from verizon and use straight talk. 49.95 unlimited plan. I run the test on straight talk and they said it wouldn't work. So picked one up to try. Like the wife says. I don't listen well until i prove it to my self. We are both using straight talks on Verizon sg3's now on at&t towers.
Recommend it? Depends. We simply couldn't afford the expense of Verizon who we had for years. Nott with all the extras for the smart phones and high data plans. So after i was forced out of my unlimited data by throttling me to a halt each month. I went to straight talk. Slower yes. Full coverage? for most part. Some times hit an miss though. But these days we tend to use our home Wifi mostly. And with the spread of wifi most people really don't need a lot of data. At least we don't.

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Did yall have to call and get your phones unlocked cuse I'm trying to do that and I have samsung gs4 and verizone said the phone had to be unlocked in order for it to be used on straight talk is that true?

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Did you get it unlocked by Verizon I need my phone unlocked but my past due blance from Verizon is way to high for me pay. Anyway I can unlock it without calling verizon so I can use straight talk?

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I want to use my Verizon samsung gs4 on straight but I Don have the money to pay my very high past due amount to get it unlocked any other way I can possibly do this?

blkarmphoenix

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I want to use my Verizon samsung gs4 on straight but I Don have the money to pay my very high past due amount to get it unlocked any other way I can possibly do this?

Taylor. I came across this past googling for information and had to create an account because I might be able to clear things up for you. I am in a similar boat, I have a Verizon branded galaxy note 3, and I owe verizon a lot of money due to disputes/early termination.

You need to look into whether your phone is a "global" phone and can run on gsm rather than cdma. If it is cdma only then no, it is locked to Verizon and your kind of sol. If it is an unlocked gsm capable phone though you CAN take it to straight talk, the data speed you will get depends on a few factors, set up, which network you choose (att sim or t-mobile sim) and the coverage in your area.

But just to share my experience for anyone that may come across this thread, I am currently running a Verizon Note 3, on straight talk, in gsm mode, with the tmobile sim. Everything works fine including the 4g lte service.