Verizon Galaxy S4 - Security Notice After Update to 4.3

burgy#CB

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone who has installed this security update had problems with Exchange Activesync? I'm no longer able to receive company email on my phone after installing that update. Full reset did nothing to correct issue. If i install a 3rd party mail client, mail works fine. Issue is with just Android mail.

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
UGH... went and bought the stupid backup pro, found out it doesn't work that great and apparently half my cap didn't save, did the reset and got the dang update policy bug. This definitely isn't working for everybody. Based on my experience if you are on the fence, do NOT do a reset.

Same here... Not at all impressed with backup pro. None of my apps would re-install, it said they were not from the play store and cleared all of them out. BTW, the factory reset did not work, I still get the security notification.

Gav508

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Security Notice After Update to 4.3

A factory reset should actually be mandatory, IMO, after a large software upgrade. It's good practice and ensures you get rid of all old files that may be present on the phone. The part that is no fun is re-installing everything. There needs to be an efficient way to back everything up. This 'shield' issue is a good reason why it should be mandatory, a factory reset fixed this and another issue I was having after the update. EdgeFever suggested 'My Backup Pro' earlier in this thread, I have personally never used this app though.

Absolutely true that there needs to be a better way to backup and restore after factory resets. I'm surprised that no company has done this yet.

froggedyann

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4...i keep getting that security warning...not only that...whenever i create sms messages, my contacts' numbers do not appear...instead it shows the numbers corresponding to the letters of the alphabet on a keypad....i also lost my exercise mate widget on home screen and the updated S Health doesn't have the option to show it again...it's really frustrating....can anyone help?

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I just updated the security screen about a week ago, and so did my wife. no more security notices for over a week. however, my phone has been keeping me from using folders (they don't open unless I restart the phone), and people all over the internet have been reporting various "issues" with this 4.3 update. I've been forced to use Nova Launcher, and my folders seem to work fine from with that. no problems in about three days. Maybe Touchwiz is not a good dance partner with the 4.3 update???

rexdenton

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem since the 'upgrade' (more like a degrade...), and I see nothing obvious to 'force off' the network switch on my Verizon S4 to stop this. Work around is to turn on airplane mode, then connect to wi-fi, but that's really stupid...Disappointing...new phone. It also bugged out my yahoo app video/audio plug in.

rexdenton

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
yup. Can't switch off the hunt for the fastest network, and my network won't connect anymore. Latest roll out seems to have degraded my functionality drastically and introduced some apps and warnings that make no sense whatsoever. Can I roll this back to the way it was before? It's a new phone worked great before but now it sucks after the update to 4.3.

tim brown7

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Solved!!!
Root
Install system app remover
Give permission
Un Install all knox apps
Un install security update notification
Finished

Not everybody wants to root their phone...

I just got the GS4 saturday and it did an update late that night then I started getting these shield icons. Found this thread about it, and I see there is no fix for it besides rooting my phone. Guess ill just have to wait and see if they do something about it or just live with it

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
Not everybody wants to root their phone...

I just got the GS4 saturday and it did an update late that night then I started getting these shield icons. Found this thread about it, and I see there is no fix for it besides rooting my phone. Guess ill just have to wait and see if they do something about it or just live with it

There are a few things to try in this thread. Nothing has been 100% effective yet, but has worked for some. Give them a try, none of them required rooting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tim brown7

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
There are a few things to try in this thread. Nothing has been 100% effective yet, but has worked for some. Give them a try, none of them required rooting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ive tried most of them except doing a factory reset. I just got the phone saturday and dont really feel like going thru a reset...

WVOz1970

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I kept getting the "Security update failed" error when I'd try to update. After reading through some of your various ideas, here's what I ended up doing... I went into security settings and turned on Auto Updates. I then "Checked for manual updates". When the "Failed" error shield appeared in the status bar, I long-clicked it. Went into the App Info settings for the "Failed" error, not the original alert message, and then cleared both cache AND data. Went back to security settings and requested a manual update once again. This time, no failure, and I got the message that I have now updated to the most recent version. Will see if it sticks... but I've switched between multiple networks, mobile and wifi with no shield. Also restarted the phone three or four times since trying this. It's holding. Now for the test of time...

GarciaFan

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This seemed to work for me as well. I've rebooted and haven't spent extensive time on the phone yet, but I got the successful policy update message leading me to believe it's fixed.

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I kept getting the "Security update failed" error when I'd try to update. After reading through some of your various ideas, here's what I ended up doing... I went into security settings and turned on Auto Updates. I then "Checked for manual updates". When the "Failed" error shield appeared in the status bar, I long-clicked it. Went into the App Info settings for the "Failed" error, not the original alert message, and then cleared both cache AND data. Went back to security settings and requested a manual update once again. This time, no failure, and I got the message that I have now updated to the most recent version. Will see if it sticks... but I've switched between multiple networks, mobile and wifi with no shield. Also restarted the phone three or four times since trying this. It's holding. Now for the test of time...

Worked for me, too - thanks for the tip!

tavenger5

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if any of you have tried clearing the cache partition instead of doing a full reset? The same seems to have worked for Note 3 users that were having this problem.

• Turn off the phone and remove the battery, then reinsert
  • Press and hold the Volume Up key and Home key, then press and hold the Power key
  • When it vibrates release the Power key
  • The recovery menu should appear - release the other keys
  • Navigate using the Volume keys to Wipe all cache (power key to select)
  • Press the Power key to reboot

Read more: Galaxy S4 Security notice after updating to Android 4.3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer