My Thoughts on the Iconia and Transformer after a few days with both

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Finally got a few free minutes to sit down and type a few words about the two newest 10.1" tablets competing for your money.

Display:

The Acer has a gorgeous display. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. Seeing it side by side with the Transformer's display doesn't make it look bad at all. As for the Transformer, it does have an excellent display. I did notice that the Transformer's display was slightly richer than the Acer's.

Winner: Transformer-slightly

Performance:

Both tabs performed about the same to me. Both struggled with some HD content. Both seemed to move slower than my Froyo running Evo 4G at times. There was an issue with responsiveness with the Transformer where at any given time, the screen would need to be pressed more than once for any kind of result. I never ran into this with the Acer.

Winner: Iconia

Hardware: The Iconia's smooth brushed aluminum back has a very nice feel to it but at the same time provides for a very slippery surface. Holding the Acer for a while can be a real chore. If you don't drop it, your wrist is probably going to start complaining after 15 mins or so because of the weight of the machine. The Transformer is quite a bit lighter in the hand than the Iconia and the back has a great feel to it. I was sure I was going to hate it before I actually held the Transformer in my hands but it may have been a better choice of material than the one Acer made.

Winner: Transformer

Both machines have a very solid feel and you can't go wrong with either in my opinion. I have to make a decision as to which machine to keep so I am choosing to keep the Transformer. I chose it because it's lighter, easier to hold, and will readidly attach to a keyboard-if I can ever find one.

Tomorrow the Iconia goes back to Best Buy. I hope it finds a happy home.

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time. I'm happy with my transformer, and it's definitely a keeper. I do like the design of the Iconia, but the TF is just too darn good to pass up. I might get the Iconia later for my son. He's using my iPad, and the Gtablet right now. LOL.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time. I'm happy with my transformer, and it's definitely a keeper. I do like the design of the Iconia, but the TF is just too darn good to pass up. I might get the Iconia later for my son. He's using my iPad, and the Gtablet right now. LOL.

I know i'm preaching to the choir here but I'm so so glad that I could not find an ipad2 at launch or I would be stuck with one of those right now. When I went into Best Buy and picked up the Acer, I knew that waiting was the best thing that could have happened.

That being said, I do own the original ipad and that's going to the wife.

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
It be interesting for you to re-do your performance test after the update to 3.1 that should roll out in a week or so... seems like the reviewers I have read all said it speeds up the tablet.

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I've had both and I dunno what you guys are seeing that makes you think the Acer screen is only slightly behind the TF! Oh well, their both better than the xooms

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I've had both and I dunno what you guys are seeing that makes you think the Acer screen is only slightly behind the TF! Oh well, their both better than the xooms

Were you able to lay them side by side? Maybe it was just my perception. I had the Acer maybe a week or so before I got the TF so I only had that to speak on for that time. The screen was very nice. I then came on here and saw where many were saying that the TF screen was sooooo much better. I was like....this isn't possible.

When I had both, I did a direct comparison and the TF screen has darker blacks and colors are overall a little bit richer. Would I feel that I lost something if the Acer screen were placed on my TF...no.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

+1 ...I've compared both side by side and its no contest. The Acer screen isn't horrible but the Asus screen is significantly better than the Acer. The Acer was nice but you can see each pixel really easy and that bothered me and it was noticeable heavier.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Umm heres one...

Android Honeycomb 3.1 Comes To The Asus Eee Pad Transformer - HotHardware

That was posted on the Asus FB page, if you become a fan you can keep up with announcements like this. There was another one or 2 I saw... posted in these forums someplace... poke around a bit. :)

This says that JavaScript performance has taken a small hit with 3.1. Also it looks like a couple of the other benchmarks are a hair worse with 3.1. I'm not a big benchmark fan, but compared to itself in these tests its an even comparison. I'm not bothered by this and still can't wait fro HC 3.1, but it is worth noting.

ASUSFAN0001

May 28, 2011
Visit site
+1 ...I've compared both side by side and its no contest. The Acer screen isn't horrible but the Asus screen is significantly better than the Acer. The Acer was nice but you can see each pixel really easy and that bothered me and it was noticeable heavier.

I spent 3 hours playing with a Zoom, Acer unit, and iPad2 at the local Best Buy.

If I was ever not convinced before that an iPad2 is a grossly-overpriced and under-achieving piece of technology...those hours of hands-on surely did it.

The Acer had the best screen content presentation. The Xoom was next.

The Xoom was clearly heavy, along with the Acer - when compared to the iPad2...however...the iPad2 seemed very much like holding a rectangular dinner plate that I was always afraid to drop. The other 2 units were much for natural to hold.

All that said...I did get a few minutes at another location with the ASUS, and it was better than all of those, both in terms of screen presentation, as well as weight (noticeably less than the Acer and Xoom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress