Screen freezing/non-responsive?

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
OK, this is my first post here and it's for a problem, so I apologize in advance. Up 'til now, had only the G1 and spent most of my time in the XDA dev forum for it.

I got 2 Incredibles last week, and one of them (naturally, my wife's) has been acting up. I can't say enough good things about mine, which is why it's killing me that hers is acting up (she loves the phone as well, but is frustrated with it).

At random intervals, the screen goes unresponsive after a timeout. I'm guessing the phone isn't locked because it'll keep receiving messages, but the touchscreen (both the display and the buttons) do not respond. Pressing power turns the screen on and off, and nothing more.

Anyone have this issue? Is there something I can do to rectify it? I already tried the obvious, giving it a hard wipe and starting her from scratch again, but no dice. I was looking to see if there's a way to disable the lock so I can at least get her through the backorder period (VZ doesn't have any in stock to replace), but if it keeps locking up I'll have to get her another phone.

Any ideas/suggestions?

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you just have a bad phone. I read somewhere in a different thread that if you can call and get ahold of the right tech support person, that they may have a cache of phones, and maybe you can ask them to overnight one? Since its a warranty type issue you shouldn't have to wait for a backorder situation...I would think backorders are kinda just for people actually trying to buy a new phone.

I would call and see. If it doesn't work the first time try again and see if you get someone different. Good luck!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would be getting in touch with Verizon ASAP in case you do have to wait for a replacement it sounds like you got a bad phone. Like tpc said I'm sure they have a few phones set aside for replacements so you shouldn't have to wait more then a day or two.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You can try in store but I'm pretty sure they won't have anything there for you but you might get lucky, if not they will order a replacement for you.

FIGGY1682#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
when i was having all my problems with my bb storm i would call first and explain whats going on and have them issue me a replacement but before they offered to ship i asked them if one of my local stores had one and if i could just go there and replace it and 99% of the time they said yes. they will put a note on the account and by the time you get to the store it will be on the account.

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I tried a few local stores - no dice. I'm going to call CS again, and see if I can get a phone RMA'd out. This stinks, it's hard enough to keep switching platforms on the wife (she was on WiMo last), but the glitches are detracting from an otherwise awesome experience.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't have exactly that same issue, bit I am starting to see some instances where the screen won't respond to my tap. The most common instance is when I slide the notification screen down and immediately press the CLEAR button - usually won't respond for several seconds.

I never saw this during the first week.

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Even worse - since I bought the phone from Wirefly, Verizon won't support it at all - I need to go through Wirefly.

Having bought a lot of phones over the years through channel distributors, this is the first time I've had a defective phone that wouldn't be RMA'd by the carrier. I'm seriously considering dumping Verizon at this point.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Ouch. That sucks, but I wouldn't dump VZW - I'd be all over wirefly's back.

I wonder if Best Buy customers would have the same problem in getting VZW support.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Ouch. That sucks, but I wouldn't dump VZW - I'd be all over wirefly's back.

I wonder if Best Buy customers would have the same problem in getting VZW support.

I seriously hope not. Considering we bought ours at Bestbuy. We do have Asurion insurance on both. Damn that makes me want to call VZW now and see what happens.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I seriously hope not. Considering we bought ours at Bestbuy. We do have Asurion insurance on both. Damn that makes me want to call VZW now and see what happens.

Hehehe...let us know. I won't buy cell phones from 3rd parties if one can't get support.

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, although initially annoyed I guess I lucked out.

VZ wanted me to post $500 and they'd send me a replacement via 2-day, but wouldn't ship until tomorrow. I spent the better part of an hour to finally get someone to agree the phone needed replacement (following several 'have you tried a wipe, what apps do you have installed' conversations, even though I told them up front I had done all that). When I got them, they gave me an attitude and said I had to call Wirefly.

Got Wirefly in an online chat - and within 5 minutes, had arranged for them to RMA me a phone, had to put up $400 on my CC until they receive the RMA, and they overnighted it today so I'll have it tomorrow.

So Wirefly, big ups from me today!

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had a few weird freeze/lockup issues the past few days myself. Last night the device completely froze up while in browser and had to do a battery pull to fix. The other day my Inc was just sitting on the table and screen dimmed out and locked and when I hit the power button I got nothing; had to pull the battery for that too.

Also had a weird phone call issue where i would receive a call but couldnt hear the caller on the other end and when I called out they couldnt hear me. :confused::confused::confused:

Anyone else?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
over the last 48 hours, my Inc has been flipping home screens (on its own) A LOT.

i would return it, but i'm worried about getting stuck with someone else's refurb (with the same problem).

i want to hold out for a software patch to fix the problem -- just sucks that we haven't heard ANY NEWS from HTC or bloggers about upcoming software fixes.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had a few weird freeze/lockup issues the past few days myself. Last night the device completely froze up while in browser and had to do a battery pull to fix. The other day my Inc was just sitting on the table and screen dimmed out and locked and when I hit the power button I got nothing; had to pull the battery for that too.

Also had a weird phone call issue where i would receive a call but couldnt hear the caller on the other end and when I called out they couldnt hear me. :confused::confused::confused:

Anyone else?

I have had this issue twice, both very recently after the software patch that was sent out. Solved by a soft reset/reboot. No problems since.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had this issue twice, both very recently after the software patch that was sent out. Solved by a soft reset/reboot. No problems since.

Have you had issues with your sd card not being recognized after a reboot? That has happened to me twice.

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I can lock my phone as described by refreshing the drudge report over and over. I have the feeling certain ads on the site are causing it to lock (flash ads ) ?

Anyhow got a new one that has the same issue with that site and lucky me my new one has been rebooting itself. I did a wipe and hopefully that takes care of the rebooting but I do think this phone has issues certain sites which causes it to lock up and/or close the browser.