Just my opinion on the HTC 10, FWIW

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. I rarely drop a phone, so glass isn't an issue. Nicks and scrapes from general use (like wearing a wedding ring) are a massive pain though. I partly bought the 10 because I thought I wanted a metal phone, now I'm not so sure.

As we well know any phone can take a tumble and crack or smash a screen depending on how it hits. At least the 10 won't be cracking or shattering the backside unlike the risk with a Samsung. Maybe makes the 10 have a 50% better chance of surviving a fall intact than a Sammy.
IMO the glass backs are a design gimmick to make the phones stand out from the others. Lots of folks love that so must be working, but bottom line: Glass breaks, cracks and shatters, so buyer beware.
Any glass backed phone I might buy would have to be in a case anyway simply for my own peace of mind. So another reason for me personally a glass back is more detrimental than practical.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I think the glass back is to allow for wireless charging.

That's exactly right. The glass backs allow for wireless charging, which personally I find very useful. I personally believe that pretty much any phone on the market won't handle drops that well and needs a case. The one thing HTC has for it in this department other than having the Aluminum back, is their Uh Oh warranty. It is really good. My dog literally chewed my wife's HTC One M9 up, and I called them up feeling foolish even asking. They replaced it at no charge...

But having said that, I personally found the HTC 10 way too slippery to use without a case, so for me (not others), the whole case issue is moot because I need one regardless of phone. I found the same thing with my work iPhone - too slippery. The only possible way to for me to go without a case on the aluminum backed phones is to use a skin, but I haven't really found one whose texture I like much, and I struggle to get them to fit just right.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site

And better reception in general. The HTC 10 is the weakest device we have in the house for WiFi. Every other device works in our bedroom but this one, which I have to switch to mobile network when I'm in there.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
You guys are right. Totally forgot about the wireless charging. Probably since I don't use it, but understand some love it. I'm doubtful I'd buy another glass back phone tho. Like the better build quality of metal.
As for signal being impacted by metal. I don't think that is neccessarilily across the board. My iPhone 6+ had great signal, totally metal back. As well as many other devices. I think HTC is just missing something.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I use on my m8 is 2 stripes of a clear skin I have, I cut a bit and put them on the sides so it's not slippery anymore. But they are almost all slippery. Difference is some break, others don't ;)

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I am so glad I got this phone rather than the amazing self detonating Samsung Note 7. I don't worry whether or not today is the day my phone acts like Mission:Impossible, and self destructs.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am so glad I got this phone rather than the amazing self detonating Samsung Note 7. I don't worry whether or not today is the day my phone acts like Mission:Impossible, and self destructs.

And the people who have one won't once they get an exchange ;).

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
A necessary thing for that reason for sure, but it's just my opinion to be amazed at all the folks who demand that a phone have wireless charging. I'd take a metal back and more solidly built, less fragile phone and forego wireless charging. How frickin' hard is it to plug in the cord? The "C" plugs make it even easier. I wouldn't buy a phone with a glass back, but I'm probably in the minority.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I have had many phones...and this is my all-time favorite....surpassing the Moto Nexus 6...this phone is what a phone should be - smooth UI and does everything I need it to without a hiccup

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
And the people who have one won't once they get an exchange ;).

How I wish that was true. It's a shame the Note 7 is still having thermal runaways even after the recall and supposed fix. I really really liked that phone, best phone I ever owned.

Just ordered an HTC 10 last night for $550, hoping I enjoy it as much!

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
How I wish that was true. It's a shame the Note 7 is still having thermal runaways even after the recall and supposed fix. I really really liked that phone, best phone I ever owned.

I switched to the HTC 10 from the Note 7 - I am so much happier because the 10 is not immersed in its own ecosystem like the N7. I have been a fan of Nexus devices, this phone has a similar UI.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I switched to the HTC 10 from the Note 7 - I am so much happier because the 10 is not immersed in its own ecosystem like the N7. I have been a fan of Nexus devices, this phone has a similar UI.
Yeah I noticed that too. Samsung is doing its best to get users dependent on their own services. Which I was willing to give a shot because the N7 had such nice hardware.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I noticed that too. Samsung is doing its best to get users dependent on their own services. Which I was willing to give a shot because the N7 had such nice hardware.

Similar to you, I wanted to give Samsung a try because of the N7 specs - was not into the UI and my N7 seemed just a bit off (perhaps laggy). I really believe the 10 is smoother than the N7....I guess I am an HTC 10 fanboy now :)... Although not without good reason.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It would have been nice. That is what I believed would fix it (back when I posted that) but sadly.. it doesn't seem to be the case. I returned mine right when they announced issues with replacements and been waiting for a phone. I have now ordered the Pixel XL and just waiting on that. I feel Samsung really dropped the ball on this one.

chin chen

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Similar to you, I wanted to give Samsung a try because of the N7 specs - was not into the UI and my N7 seemed just a bit off (perhaps laggy). I really believe the 10 is smoother than the N7....I guess I am an HTC 10 fanboy now :)... Although not without good reason.

Of course it is much smoother, not much bloatware and Sense is thin, not like Touchwiz

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I cannot say, but with normal mp3s the quality is very good, better than all of the phones I ever had. I am not an audiophile but I can hear the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty