Going Back to iPhone 5

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Going Back to Iphone 5

I've had my One since launch day and just bought my girl an iPhone 5 for Mother's Day...
I don't get the fascination. Really, I look at her screen and think what was the difference from her iPhone 4?
I had A Nexus S before I got my One and this was a huge upgrade in so many ways. I don't see that with hers.
Maybe that says a lot about where Apple was two years ago... But it's not two years ago anymore and her NEW phone looks and acts the same. No improvement that I can say is worth their hype.
I can hear the "but it just works" cries starting. Are you kidding me? It's a 4x5 grid of icons! What's not to just work about that? I can turn on my 5 year old (or 4, whenever that thing came out) Palm Pre and guess what, it still works!
Android and the HTC One do more than just work!

Posted via Android Central App

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I've had my One since launch day and just bought my girl an iPhone 5 for Mother's Day...
I don't get the fascination. Really, I look at her screen and think what was the difference from her iPhone 4?
I had A Nexus S before I got my One and this was a huge upgrade in so many ways. I don't see that with hers.
Maybe that says a lot about where Apple was two years ago... But it's not two years ago anymore and her NEW phone looks and acts the same. No improvement that I can say is worth their hype.
I can hear the "but it just works" cries starting. Are you kidding me? It's a 4x5 grid of icons! What's not to just work about that? I can turn on my 5 year old (or 4, whenever that thing came out) Palm Pre and guess what, it still works!
Android and the HTC One do more than just work!

Posted via Android Central App

Well maybe you are living in a delusion but you get all Google services only in the US, so over here I is works much better then android in that regard. We only have lay appa and play music.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing he misses iTunes because he's just used to using iTunes all the time, and hasn't really been able to explore easy options to sync the One. I think he should give himself more time to understand the phone (imho) and be willing to change his ways (the ones he got from using an iDevice for a long time) a little, and explore the One for a li'l while. He might actually end up liking it better
That is exactly it. Believe me when I say I despise iTunes for syncing. I just spend a good hour using it to copy music to my daughters phone. Brutally time consuming. But if you are used to it perhaps it become easier. Like eating glass.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

That is exactly it. Believe me when I say I despise iTunes for syncing. I just spend a good hour using it to copy music to my daughters phone. Brutally time consuming. But if you are used to it perhaps it become easier. Like eating glass.

Its useful for me because it backs up and restores the device without having to make the equivalent of a nandroid back up

Posted via Android Central App using my Galaxy S4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Its useful for me because it backs up and restores the device without having to make the equivalent of a nandroid back up

That feature (backups) and iMessage are by far the best things about Apple. I'm hoping we see one or both addressed on Wednesday.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Samsung Kies and HTC sense both have backups that you can use which are similar to iTunes. The irony is that I just did a backup/ restore on my daughters iphone because although you have stated that she could get 8 hours of on-screen time she is getting 6 hours total. I heard that a factory reset will help so I did it but the restore didn't work worth crap. She is missing a ton of apps even though when I plugged it in and it asked me if I wanted to back up my apps (I said yes) it still screwed me over. When I did the restore labeled the exact time and date I did the backup it is missing a lot of stuff. The android format of linking app purchases to your Gmail account is fool proof and far superior IMO.

Anyone who backs up their sheet uses Titanium backup. Piece of cake. GOD told me yesterday that he uses it. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Samsung Kies and HTC sense both have backups that you can use which are similar to iTunes. The irony is that I just did a backup/ restore on my daughters iphone because although you have stated that she could get 8 hours of on-screen time she is getting 6 hours total. I heard that a factory reset will help so I did it but the restore didn't work worth crap. She is missing a ton of apps even though when I plugged it in and it asked me if I wanted to back up my apps (I said yes) it still screwed me over. When I did the restore labeled the exact time and date I did the backup it is missing a lot of stuff. The android format of linking app purchases to your Gmail account is fool proof and far superior IMO.

Anyone who backs up their sheet uses Titanium backup. Piece of cake. GOD told me yesterday that he uses it. Lol.

I'm actually surprised. that is so defective.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Me too. I'm going to give it a couple of days and return it for a new one if it doesn't get better.

So you won't generalise and say all iPhones have this issue?

Me too. I'm going to give it a couple of days and return it for a new one if it doesn't get better.

Mind you, I get 8 hours in screen because I only turn on LTE for 10-20 mins a day with 3 to 5 bars consistent coverage and Bluetooth and GPS are off because I never use Bluetooth and I use my N4 as my GPS. Screen is also at 75 percent brightness. With 20 calls.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I used helium today MUCH MUCH better then iOS wow its so much better

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Mind you, I get 8 hours in screen because I only turn on LTE for 10-20 mins a day with 3 to 5 bars consistent coverage and Bluetooth and GPS are off because I never use Bluetooth and I use my N4 as my GPS. Screen is also at 75 percent brightness. With 20 calls.

No, I know this isn't normal. I've been getting her to turn things off, but she's not super techie, so she doesn't always understand. It was easier for me to explain the toggle widget than to try and explain everything in the settings area. We will see how things go now that I've done the update.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I used helium today MUCH MUCH better then iOS wow its so much better

Ya its great. I also have that installed but I have Titanium backup all scheduled so I just use that.

Lucas Lefebre

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I hate to say it but i think you're right when you say that we have to sort of "lower our expectations" simply because that would help us forget about some bad features or specs that we would prefer not to have on our smartphones or tablettes.
I recently baught a samsung galaxy s4 and i have to say that part from its design, my expectations are keeping up quite well with it :) have a nice day !

ExSOi

May 19, 2013
Visit site

First off I landed here after a search for iOS users experiences with the HTC One. I stumbled upon an HTC One in a mobile shop and instantly fell for it, the best looking phone I have ever seen in terms of look n feel, and that amazing big screen too. The OS however is where my concerns lie, will I be able to live with it?
My work phone is a mid range HTC running Gingerbread, the user experience is not in the same league as my Jailbroken 4s, I realise that this is not a like for like comparison but it's my only direct long term experience of Android. I've read through this post and found some useful information, in between the juvenile brand loyalists, and I think I'll give the One a new home, Jellybean don't let me down!
I would like to add that the level of ignorance displayed re' Jailbreaking is quite amusing, I wouldn't expect Android users to have much interest in this as, umm, why would you care anyway? However where on earth are you getting your info' from? a quick Google search will show you how many Android, and iOS, features came from Cydia. That's where Google are so smart, they give you the tools to make your own choice as opposed to the famous Apple handcuffs.
The implication is that Android is complicated and iOS is simple; I strongly disagree; iOS is very refined but locked down, Android is very flexible but fragmented thanks to different phone manufacturers. You don't need to know UNIX kernel hacks to tweak your phone - who the hell would want to anyway?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

First off I landed here after a search for iOS users experiences with the HTC One. I stumbled upon an HTC One in a mobile shop and instantly fell for it, the best looking phone I have ever seen in terms of look n feel, and that amazing big screen too. The OS however is where my concerns lie, will I be able to live with it?
My work phone is a mid range HTC running Gingerbread, the user experience is not in the same league as my Jailbroken 4s, I realise that this is not a like for like comparison but it's my only direct long term experience of Android. I've read through this post and found some useful information, in between the juvenile brand loyalists, and I think I'll give the One a new home, Jellybean don't let me down!
I would like to add that the level of ignorance displayed re' Jailbreaking is quite amusing, I wouldn't expect Android users to have much interest in this as, umm, why would you care anyway? However where on earth are you getting your info' from? a quick Google search will show you how many Android, and iOS, features came from Cydia. That's where Google are so smart, they give you the tools to make your own choice as opposed to the famous Apple handcuffs.
The implication is that Android is complicated and iOS is simple; I strongly disagree; iOS is very refined but locked down, Android is very flexible but fragmented thanks to different phone manufacturers. You don't need to know UNIX kernel hacks to tweak your phone - who the hell would want to anyway?

Yeah, it used to be that you all claimed Android copied off Apple, but since that ridiculous claim can't be said with a straight face, now Android is copying of Cydia. Riiiiiiiiight.....

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Android does things somewhat differently from IOS, so it can be jarring or confusing to a former IOS user initially.

For example, I recall hunting all over the place for the power button on my friend's Note2, only to eventually realise that it was on the right-hand side. The back button lacks consistency, as does the address bar (which sometimes appears either at the top or bottom depending on the app).

They are likely minor or inconsequential issues to a seasoned Android user, but may rankle "IOS-defectors" who are used to their devices having a unified layout and expecting their devices to work a certain way. Only advice I can think of is to hang in there. Try it for another month, then change if you really can't get used to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87