5X is going back, 6P is on its way

tangozebra

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing with the 5X for a few days and it is a great phone. The fingerprint reader is a game changer, I can never go back. I appreciate the plastic quality, but it's not as grippy as my original Nexus 5.

So why is it going back? Well for the 5X being the "small" phone it is pretty big. I've been comparing it to a iPhone 6+ and the 5X is just not that much smaller.

The 5X screen however just *seems* small... My current phone is a 2014 Moto X, and both have the same screen size and resolution, however the text on the 5X is smaller ever with all the same device and app settings. Going from one to the other you would swear that the 5X screen is smaller but side by side they are the same. It's kind of weird.

So bottom line is I want the awesome 6P experience that the reviews are talking about and I think I can handle the slightly bigger size.

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I kind of agree with this logic. I have been enjoying my 5X so much that I think I can jump up to the 6P with no issues.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything you're saying here. The dot pitch on the N5X is all wrong IMO. It makes for a very jarring experience coming from my old N5! Making fonts "Large" doesn't really help, and making them "Huge" cuts off text in various places.

I ordered an N5X and an N6P on launch day, and I really think that I will keep the N6P. I am also tempted to grab a Nano to Micro SIM adaptor, get a battery replacement, & hold on to my old N5 as a second phone versus selling it!

Posted via the Android Central App

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I too have a Moto x 2014 and side by side the icons are larger as well than the 5x. Turns out that the stock Android has things set differently to fit more icons on the screen so everything is a tad smaller. I was surprised how the weights are pretty similar.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually prefer the DPI settings on the 5X. I always felt everything was too big on the Moto X 2014. Maybe it's a touch small but on the Moto X it was always way too big. Of course to each their own.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer the DPI settings on the 5X. I always felt everything was too big on the Moto X 2014. Maybe it's a touch small but on the Moto X it was always way too big. Of course to each their own.

I felt the icons and text were mammoth on the X Pure so I returned it and kept my Note 5 with Nova Launcher and font sent to small. I actually like the 5x5 they are doing stock, makes it less cartoonish if I want to keep the stock app Launcher.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Useful info for me considering one. I knew about the body size, but legibility and eyestrain is everything. All subjective of course.
I'm sure it helps fit more on browser pages, but I still think I need to get back to the size of the Note 3 I sold.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so without being a total troll I have to say I dont understand your logic.

The 5x is "too big" for a 5.2" phone. Have you looked at the 6p? Its larger than the note 5, edge+ and Moto X Pure. I would venture to say its just as "too big" as the 5x.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so without being a total troll I have to say I dont understand your logic.

The 5x is "too big" for a 5.2" phone. Have you looked at the 6p? Its larger than the note 5, edge+ and Moto X Pure. I would venture to say its just as "too big" as the 5x.

I agree completely. I can just barely use the 5X as a one-handed device, and even then I often have to shift my grip or temporarily use my offhand to assist. I can't imagine using the 6P as my daily device, especially when it lacks a native ability to do a "one-handed mode" like the Note line does.

If you already think that the 5X is too big, then why would you go bigger? Sure, the 6P isn't THAT much bigger (although I'd argue that 0.2"/5.2mm is actually a pretty substantial difference in width), but when you're talking about a device that is widely considered to be at the upper limit of one-handed use, that little bit matters a lot. Especially once you realize that the 6P is 1.48oz/42g heavier.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree completely. I can just barely use the 5X as a one-handed device, and even then I often have to shift my grip or temporarily use my offhand to assist. I can't imagine using the 6P as my daily device, especially when it lacks a native ability to do a "one-handed mode" like the Note line does.

If you already think that the 5X is too big, then why would you go bigger? Sure, the 6P isn't THAT much bigger (although I'd argue that 0.2"/5.2mm is actually a pretty substantial difference in width), but when you're talking about a device that is widely considered to be at the upper limit of one-handed use, that little bit matters a lot. Especially once you realize that the 6P is 1.48oz/42g heavier.

Actually the fact that I can barely use the 5X in one hand is part of why I feel more comfortable moving to something larger. After all if you can barely use a phone one handed then you aren't really giving up much moving to a phone that you know you can't easily use in one hand. After all what are you losing if you are giving up a feature you can't even really take advantage of?

I have small hands and already struggled with the 5.2" Moto X 2014 and because of the less rounded design the 5X is slightly harder for me to use one handed without feeling like I am going to drop it. Hopefully my 6P will show up soon and I can get a better idea on how every day use with that will be.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually the fact that I can barely use the 5X in one hand is part of why I feel more comfortable moving to something larger. After all if you can barely use a phone one handed then you aren't really giving up much moving to a phone that you know you can't easily use in one hand. After all what are you losing if you are giving up a feature you can't even really take advantage of?

I have small hands and already struggled with the 5.2" Moto X 2014 and because of the less rounded design the 5X is slightly harder for me to use one handed without feeling like I am going to drop it. Hopefully my 6P will show up soon and I can get a better idea on how every day use with that will be.

I guess that makes sense. But by saying that I can "barely" use the 5X one-handed, that means that I can do it, albeit with limitations on occasion (also probably some hesitance due to being careful with a brand-new, unfamiliar phone). Going to the 6P means that I wouldn't be able to at all. So I would be giving it up.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It's still a tough decision. For me. Loved my 5

The 5 was my favorite phone of all time and I can tell you that I'm completely 100% satisfied with my 5x. It's like the 5, but better. If you are on the fence, I'd recommend the 5x. It is my favorite phone this year and I've had many (iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, Samsung Galaxy s6, Samsung Galaxy s6 Edge, LG G4, Nexus 6, Moto G, Zenfone 2)

motorrad245

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll be doing the same. The 5x is working great. Love the battery life and pure Android experience. For $70 more I can get a top of the line phone instead of mid-pack phone. I'm willing to trade off a little bit bigger for a top of the line screen, better build materials, bigger battery and more RAM. The 6p is already on it's way.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I really with they had just cloned the 6p and made the 5x a smaller 6p. I just don't want anything that big in my pocket. 5"-5.2" is my sweet spot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claudio1986saavedra