G4 returned from shop with G3 display?

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My G4's screen was damaged and there's no other device that I'd rather have but I can't see paying $550 for a new G4 (Verizon) so replacing the screen for $160 with labor - supposedly LG parts seemed like the only option:

So my wife called a local shop that supposedly ordered a G4 display (glass , digitizer, panel) and today she brought my phone in so they could swap the screen and I noticed right away when she came home that something didn't appear right as there was s Verizon logo on the top right of the display (the old VZW logo too - exactly like what's on the G3).

My wife has a G4 and mine with the replacement screen is not as bright (whites are not as white) and the replacement screen seems totally "flat" and does not have the slight curve found on the G4.

The repair guy called me to tell me when he was installing the screen that though it fit well he claimed that the frame of the phone was bent slightly but it was not as the phone had only fell under 1 ft onto concrete when the glass cracked the other day - the frame is fine. He said to get an Otterbox or similar case to press down on the display to hold it in place long term - again my frame seems fine.

So i'm thinking now he said to get a case b/c he knew that the display is that of the G3 which is totally flat and doesn't match up with my G4 (perhaps the guy didn't realize this and his supplier delivered the wrong part & he legitimately thought it didn't fit) - but looking at pictures especially the folllowing:

- old Verizon logo pre 09-2015 top right - same as LG G3

- the speaker grille is slightly different (than my wife's G4) - the space around the ear piece grill top center

- the new display on my G4 is 100% flat - if i hold a straight edge across it I cannot slip a thin piece of paper under it as i can do with my wife's G4 (you can also just see that the new display on my G4 is flat where there's a slight curve matching my wife's G4's original phone / display)

- the new screen on my G4 is not as bright as my wife's G4 - i never used a G3 to compare but it's not as bright - mostly noticeable is that white's don't appear as white / bright

Does anyone know if it is possible that they replaced my G4's display with a G3 display - is is physically compatible? I see that both displays are the same size, resolution but i'd think you couldn't throw in a G3 display into a G4 but it sure seems like it based on the Verizon logo, flatness,

Also there's the two small I guess led's to the right of the front facing camera - the holes around each item look different on the new replacement display vs my wife's real G4 display.

Also the pattern around the top / edges - I can't describe it but there's a pattern along the edge and it seems less pronounced on the replacement screen on my phone compared to my wife's original display G4.

I called the repair shop and the guy told me this evening when I told him it seems the correct display may not have been ordered / installed and he said that he especially got a G4 replacement display with the Verizon logo b/c he knew we had VZW. But I can't find ANY pics of a G4 with a VZW logo that looks just like the G3 - in fact there are no G4's at all with any Verizon branding on the front / display.

Even if he did find a display with Verizon branding I wouldn't have wanted that plus it would be the NEW Verizon log I'd think that has been out since 09/2015 and not the old logo found on the G3.

Can anyone vouch for the fact that it may be possible for the repair shop to have replaced my G4's display with a G3 display even though I paid for a G4 display or I can't see how b/c with a straight edge it's easy to tell that the replacement display is not as curved as my wife's G4's display - it's subtle but noticeable.

The repair guy tried to make me feel like I was paranoid / ignorant as he said a G3 display would never work in a G4 - anyone know if it's possible that they installed a G3 display based on the above (VZW logo top right same as G3, totally flat display, not as bright etc) ?

Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It may be possible that you got a G3 display, but wouldn't know if that's possible. I'd look at the receipt and see what it says. It should have some sort of part number, item number, or description that you can cross reference and find out for his proof. Sounds like you could be right, but it's easy to blow a customer off if they don't have a way to defend their suspicions. If nothing else, they should make it right simply for the logo issue. If yours didn't have the logo (I have a Verizon version too, so I know), then they had no right to custom order a different looking screen without your prior consent. It may not be the biggest issue here, but may be a backdoor way of getting them to replace it.

From what you said, though, I'd try to get a refund and go elsewhere. If they installed the wrong part and simply brush you off as being paranoid, plus trying to get you to hide their shoddy work with a case, then I don't think I'd trust them to any more work on my phone.

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks- I have to go back as they said it was original LG branded replacement parts and the receipt doesn't include any partt # information so I can't see how based on the generic receipt that LG would honor a warranty as they said the parts would be warranted by LG.

I can't find a single picture of an G4 display either as part of a new phone or a replacement part that has the Verizon logo (which what they installed on my phone looks exactly the same as the old Verizon logo sane as the G3).

I have no idea how displays attach technically and if a G3 display would be compatible with the G4 but this display next to my wife's G4 this one is definitely completely flat which is the case with the G3s display and it's not as bright. So either it's a G3 part if that's possible or it's not original LG G4 replacement part as the VZW logo wouldn't be there much less the lack of brightness and completely flat surface.

Thanks

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
@Mooncatt --- u really woke me up regarding the fact that they tried to get my wife to buy a case to hold the display to the frame securely . I didn't have a chance to get there today due to work but will return early next week. Thanks

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If anyone knows if it's physically and technically possible to install a G3 display in a G4 pls let me know as I have to confront the local repair shop tomorrow. Thanks

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know an exact answer but it sounds like you have a good case to challenge their work. The display is the same size and the physical dimensions of the phone are similar enough that it is certainly possible the display of the G3 could fit on the G4.

I'd show them the pictures of both phones on the Verizon site as well. You can bet that if Verizon had a g4 with the logo at the top like the G3, they would be using it on the website, and shipping it out to customers. If it's an option, take your wife's phone with you for direct comparison.

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know an exact answer but it sounds like you have a good case to challenge their work. The display is the same size and the physical dimensions of the phone are similar enough that it is certainly possible the display of the G3 could fit on the G4.

I'd show them the pictures of both phones on the Verizon site as well. You can bet that if Verizon had a g4 with the logo at the top like the G3, they would be using it on the website, and shipping it out to customers. If it's an option, take your wife's phone with you for direct comparison.
Definitely a good idea to visit the shop when I can take my wife's original G4 to compare.

Checking around I did find a G4 display replacement kit LG G4 LCD & Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Replacement (Verizon Logo) that does have a VZW logo - it's not a genuine LG part .

I was supposed to receive a genuine LG replacement display which I cannot find a LG part that has a VZW logo as the G4 wasn't sold with a VZW logo on the display as shown in the above 3rd part replacement part. I'm guessing now rather than my phone received a G3 display (genuine LG part) that the shop sold me a non LG replacement display which is why it is not as bright as my wife's G4, it is missing the slight curve that the G4 glass features, as well as the VZW logo.

I want them to show me the part # for the display that I bought as it isn't included on the receipt plus I need that info as they told me the part would be made by LG and feature a warranty (on the phone they said lifetime - not sure of the duration of LG replacement parts re: warranty but they said it would include a lifetime warranty by LG).

Thanks

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely a good idea to visit the shop when I can take my wife's original G4 to compare.

Checking around I did find a G4 display replacement kit LG G4 LCD & Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Replacement (Verizon Logo) that does have a VZW logo - it's not a genuine LG part .

I was supposed to receive a genuine LG replacement display which I cannot find a LG part that has a VZW logo as the G4 wasn't sold with a VZW logo on the display as shown in the above 3rd part replacement part. I'm guessing now rather than my phone received a G3 display (genuine LG part) that the shop sold me a non LG replacement display which is why it is not as bright as my wife's G4, it is missing the slight curve that the G4 glass features, as well as the VZW logo.

I want them to show me the part # for the display that I bought as it isn't included on the receipt plus I need that info as they told me the part would be made by LG and feature a warranty (on the phone they said lifetime - not sure of the duration of LG replacement parts re: warranty but they said it would include a lifetime warranty by LG).

Thanks

Weird that there is a replacement kit with Verizon logo but Verizon doesn't actually sell the phone with that logo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell