Going Back to iPhone 5

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Going Back to Iphone 5

I have found call quality to be fantastic. Easily as good as the iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 4

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Working for a company that has to work with so many different phones makes my life difficult when choosing a new phone! I've played with so many and it's always hard to choose. I like the One. Probably one of my favorite phones on the market right now, but the iPhone 5 is also amazing! Im open to both and, while I'm using the iPhone 5 at the moment, I might switch it up here and there!

tribbs

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Coming from an iPhone 5 the only thing I really miss are emojis. I don't like the idea of using SMS pro just to have the ability to use emojis either

Last edited:

Patrick Williams13

May 22, 2013
Visit site

What I miss about my iPhone 5.
Perfecy size for one handed use.
Had a nice apple eco system running with my mac etc.
Sexy looking.
Apps are generally better than android.

What I DONT miss.....
Calls being dropped constant when weak signal. The old 'call failed' that I've yet to see on my HTC one. Thank god.
Staring at the same home screen every day. For 4 years. With my old iPhone as well.
Wifi would drop out of the blue and the old airplane mode on off switch had to be done at least twice a day when things went wrong.
Edge would show instead of 3g when 3g was clearly available. Don't know If that was an iPhone issue or network issue but haven't had the problem on the ONE. and have since switched to WDHPA only to completely eliminate that problem.

Posted via Android Central App

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site

What I miss about my iPhone 5.
Perfecy size for one handed use.
Had a nice apple eco system running with my mac etc.
Sexy looking.
Apps are generally better than android.

What I DONT miss.....
Calls being dropped constant when weak signal. The old 'call failed' that I've yet to see on my HTC one. Thank god.
Staring at the same home screen every day. For 4 years. With my old iPhone as well.
Wifi would drop out of the blue and the old airplane mode on off switch had to be done at least twice a day when things went wrong.
Edge would show instead of 3g when 3g was clearly available. Don't know If that was an iPhone issue or network issue but haven't had the problem on the ONE. and have since switched to WDHPA only to completely eliminate that problem.

Dropped calls are mostly a network issue. I have had an iPhone 4 and 5 and I have had few if any dropped calls.

Staring on the same screen is fixed by a simple wallpaper change. How hard is that? Or if you want more customizing, then jail break your iPhone. It is very simple to do. Then you can customize as much as you want. Yes you will void warranty, but you can always flash to stock for warranty service.

Sent from my iPhone 7

ipeaches

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

reading this thread has helped me to solidify my decision to switch from iOS to Android after using iPhones for 5 years. thanks everyone! I can't wait to get my android device!

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

reading this thread has helped me to solidify my decision to switch from iOS to Android after using iPhones for 5 years. thanks everyone! I can't wait to get my android device!

Good luck! Just remember. Things are different over here in Google land. You might have trouble at first but give it an honest try before rejecting the OS. Read all you can now before you get the phone about what can be done, what you might not be able to do, or do the same way. Learn about widgets, and Google services. Check out third party launchers. The biggest plus about Android Imo is choice. From hardware to software you can pretty much get the device you want. Like a wall of apps for your home screens? Go for it. Prefer no apps, done deal. Want to be able to post to social media, get news, etc. without opening an app, sure thing. Just have fun and keep an open mind.

Last edited:

sparkly flea

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Coming from an iPhone 5 the only thing I really miss are emojis. I don't like the idea of using SMS pro just to have the ability to use emojis either

Try Textra. Closest I've seen to iPhone feel. It has an emojis plug in.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Tried the HTC One for 2 weeks and have decided to stick with Iphone 5. Liked the phone, impressed at where HTC and Android are at this point but...

-Couldn't get phone to work well with car which is important to me, petty, I know
-I use an Otterbox and it made it near impossible with one hand
-I find the Iphone Camera to be better quality as I like zooming further than HTC would allow
-Too much clutter, IE Blink Feed and Gallery
-I like the way Mac/Iphone/Itunes sync seamlessly
-Battery was weak compared to what I'm used to in regards to lasting time and charge time

Positives though...

-Google Play was awesome, not taking up storage but having music
-LTE Speed is ridiculous
-Speakers are awesome
-ZOE/Sequence Shot
-Viewing Angles, especially outside were great, even in Otterbox

Anyways, thanks for all help

in-car behaviour is awesome with the One, especially in connection with the official car kit (which enables car mode and Bluetooth automatically)

isyncr lets you sync the phone with iTunes completely seamlessly.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Edge would show instead of 3g when 3g was clearly available. Don't know If that was an iPhone issue or network issue but haven't had the problem on the ONE.

my One takes forever to switch from EDGE to 3G (but not the other way round, unfortunately). It's the only major problem I have with it.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

OK, on day 3 with my HTC One but I am far from being convinced to keep it. I just haven't found anything yet I can do with it that I couldn't do with my iPhone.....

Okay, you've had your phone 3 DAYS and you are thinking of going back? I am getting a bit bored of posting this, but just for you, once more....

Firstly, you need to give it 3 weeks to 3 MONTHS before you will totally get your head around android. It took me about 2-3 months before I completely got it and fell in love with android. Before that I was a whiny little ***** crying because it wasn't iOS and threatening to take it back and get another iPhone to all my android-owning friends, who couldn't care less. Trust me, once you do you won't want to go back to iOS.

You say you can't see anything your iPhone can't do - you have got an HTC One, right?

Blinkfeed - nothing similar in iOS. I know some don't get it, and the list is a little limited but its early days and it's getting better and better all the time. I think this is a great app and I love that it's always there on your homescreen. This is really what the future is all about on phones as far as I'm concerned - a well-presented news and notiifcation source right there on your homescreen and tied into the OS.

Zoe's and highlight reels - nothing like this in iOS. And the galleries integration with Facebook, Twitter, etc etc

Google Now - teach yourself to use Google Now as much as possible. It really has started getting very good indeed. Now you can add geofenced reminders (check out Jerry's post about being reminded to buy Aspirin next time he goes to the pharmacy). Google Now really is quite brilliant, and far exceeds Siri's capabilies. It's not perfect yet, and geofencing is still a bit flaky to set sometimes, but it's just going to get better and better. Go onto youtube and search for some of the things you can do in Google Now - it's pretty awesome.

linking contacts - I love the way you can link contacts together in android. So my facebook, google now, old phone contacts etc can all be joined together. I couldn't do that in iOS.

Google Play store - I love how I can browse apps at work on my computer, and at the click of a button I can send the app to my phone and install it.

Google Play Music - one area I hated not having my iPhone was losing iTunes. I listen to a lot of podcasts as well as music and although DoubleTwist was good, I missed iTunes. Now with Google Play Music I can carry on using iTunes and all my music and podcasts are uploaded to my phone. It's brilliant and free.

Google Maps - I don't think we need to say anything further here do we? Also factor in the new Google Desktop maps and new Android version imminent.

LED on the phone for updates and notifications

Deep integration of social networking into Android - so images in my twitter account and facebook account etc. are all in the Gallery too.

And I haven't mentioned widgets at all, or the fact you can use different launchers, or photosphere, or custom keyboards. Or the far better screen and sound. Or the fact you can drag and drop files onto the phone....

Listen, I am not an Apple hater - I have a MacBook and used iPhones for years. Android DOES take a while to get used to, but once you do you won't want to go back.

Give it a bit longer and stop trying to expect your Android phone to behave like an iPhone, because it won't. ;)

regards

Robsa

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Also another huge one is Android's sharing ability. Share to any app directly from any app. Instagram, facebook, copy links. They are all available. No need to go to the app and find your photo or file.

Sent from my Nexus 4

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

IPhone 5 sucks my wife has one and it's boreing. It's just like the 90's it's not compatible with anything which is bs in 2013 I can't even bt pics or music to her anymore not to mention u have to go through iTunes for every thing . Go back to an iphone forum this is for HTC one

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

... Staring on the same screen is fixed by a simple wallpaper change. How hard is that? Or if you want more customizing, then jail break your iPhone. It is very simple to do. Then you can customize as much as you want. Yes you will void warranty, but you can always flash to stock for warranty service.
I suspect that most people know you can change the wallpaper, but the iOS home screen, a permanent app drawer (though you can put apps in folders; may be some other tricks I don't know). Boring, but functional. User shouldn't have to "jailbreak" their device just to get a little personalization, which Android has had for years.

... Sent from my iPhone 7
How goes the temporal cold war? ;)

You GO girl. Play, experiment, and have fun with your fun ... if you "mess it up" in the first week installing things to try out, go into Settings, find the "automatically backup and restore" setting (HTC may've moved it around, but it's there, it's a Google Android function), disable it, then find factory reset and do that. You'll set it up again, but be starting fresh. The backup restore feature is much like Apple's iCloud backup solution, but with Google it would start installing apps from the Play store when you sign in -- unless you stop it.

Good luck! Just remember. Things are different over here in Google land. You might have trouble at first but give it an honest try before rejecting the OS. Read all you can now before you get the phone about what can be done, what you might not be able to do, or do the same way. Learn about widgets, and Google services. Check out third party launchers. The biggest plus about Android Imo is choice. From hardware to software you can pretty much get the device you want. Like a wall of apps for your home screens? Go for it. Prefer no apps, done deal. Want to be able to post to social media, get news, etc. without opening an app, sure thing. Just have fun and keep an open mind.
^ This. Quoting it just so it's here again.

Okay, you've had your phone 3 DAYS and you are thinking of going back? I am getting a bit bored of posting this, but just for you, once more....

Firstly, you need to give it 3 weeks to 3 MONTHS before you will totally get your head around android. It took me about 2-3 months before I completely got it and fell in love with android. Before that I was a whiny little ***** crying because it wasn't iOS and threatening to take it back and get another iPhone to all my android-owning friends, who couldn't care less. Trust me, once you do you won't want to go back to iOS.

You say you can't see anything your iPhone can't do - you have got an HTC One, right?...
Don't forget that Google Now/Voice commands are way, way better than Siri currently is. I'm regularly disappointed in Siri on my iPod Touch 5gen, compared with what Google just plain does. E.g. "Navigate to work," "navigate to massage heights," "when I'm at target, remind me to buy lucky charms," "set appointment Friday at 6 pm, make spaghetti for Lillian," "launch Hangouts," ad infinitum...
Also another huge one is Android's sharing ability. Share to any app directly from any app. Instagram, facebook, copy links. They are all available. No need to go to the app and find your photo or file. ...
When I try sharing something with iPod ... :( . Yeesh. Sharing flexibility and control on Android is remarkable compared to the iOS excuse for "sharing."

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

IPhone 5 sucks my wife has one and it's boreing. It's just like the 90's it's not compatible with anything which is bs in 2013 I can't even bt pics or music to her anymore not to mention u have to go through iTunes for every thing . Go back to an iphone forum this is for HTC one

1) How is using a device that was created in 2007 (maybe '06) anything like, well, anything from the 1990's?

2) What is an iPhone not compatible with? Seems about the opposite of the norm...

3) Why are you rudely commanding another user leave this forum? The OP gave Android a try and didn't enjoy the experience. News flash, but not all people have the same preferences.

I love Android, but I'd much prefer to see a user like the OP, who tried Android but prefers iOS, than a user who posts like you do.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

I suspect that most people know you can change the wallpaper, but the iOS home screen, a permanent app drawer (though you can put apps in folders; may be some other tricks I don't know). Boring, but functional. User shouldn't have to "jailbreak" their device just to get a little personalization, which Android has had for years.
Tldr: Android is so much more than a phone that runs apps.

How goes the temporal cold war? ;)

You GO girl. Play, experiment, and have fun with your fun ... if you "mess it up" in the first week installing things to try out, go into Settings, find the "automatically backup and restore" setting (HTC may've moved it around, but it's there, it's a Google Android function), disable it, then find factory reset and do that. You'll set it up again, but be starting fresh. The backup restore feature is much like Apple's iCloud backup solution, but with Google it would start installing apps from the Play store when you sign in -- unless you stop it.

^ This. Quoting it just so it's here again.

Don't forget that Google Now/Voice commands are way, way better than Siri currently is. I'm regularly disappointed in Siri on my iPod Touch 5gen, compared with what Google just plain does. E.g. "Navigate to work," "navigate to massage heights," "when I'm at target, remind me to buy lucky charms," "set appointment Friday at 6 pm, make spaghetti for Lillian," "launch Hangouts," ad infinitum...

When I try sharing something with iPod ... :( . Yeesh. Sharing flexibility and control on Android is remarkable compared to the iOS excuse for "sharing."

Aw, someone found my post useful. Thanks. I'll say it again. The beauty of Android is choice. If you like the" app drawer" home screens of iOS you can have that. If you like a bunch of real time widgets instead you can have that but the key is both are possible on the same device. I've seen amazing customization on android devices from very minimalist clock/launcher to almost windows phone style blocks of information. Go look at the home screens thread. You'd never know each one of those screen shots came from the same model phone. Anyhow, to those thinking of taking the plunge I say "go for it!" I can't promise you it'll be easy but once you realize what can be done on Android you'll know what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:

Mark Hodson

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I have also returned my HTC One after 6 days (7 days cooling off period with Vodafone UK) - back to my iphone 4

The phone itself is stunning and really does look very impressive, and I really wanted this phone.

Main concerns are as follows:

• It is just too big for me - I use my iphone 4 with one hand and the HTC one isn't really suited to that - I felt like I was going to drop it.
  • Problems with bluetooth synching with my car (5 series bmw) - it doesn't take the complete phonebook across, it doesn't update recent calls, which I use all the time, I can't adjust the call volume via the car.
  • It doesn't feel as robust as the iphone 4 and to put a case on the phone (it would also increase the size!) would be a real shame. I have no evidence to suggest it is fragile, however I was concerned that it would damage easily.

other issues:
  • Call quality isn't as good as the iphone - a few people have complained since I made the switch
  • Phone runs very hot with extended use - I start trying to find different ways to hold the phone as the heat makes it uncomfortable.
  • Battery doesn't appear to be as good, although, to be fair, that is probably due to me playing with the phone constantly. I can't be bothered turning wifi, bluetooth etc on and off.

I agree on the positives, screen, speed, zoe and speakers are very good.

I will stick with the iphone for a while longer....

Quoting my own post just as a reminder.

I am really regretting going back to the iphone - it is antiquated in comparison!!!

I appreciate everyone says you have to give the phone a few weeks/months to move to ios to android but that, for me, really isn't the problem - I can see the benfits all ready.

The main issue is bluetooth syncing with my car - is there a max limit to the number of contacts it will sync? Is anyone else having problems syncing with a BMW where they can't see last number redial or adjust the volume...? My wife has a new Golf and the same problem with that...

The Size etc I will get used to.

If only i can get this resolved....

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I personally wouldn't go back to the iPhone any more than I would trade my BMW for a tricycle.