Google play system update

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Samsung can't control Play Store updates or Play Store services. Those are on all Android, that's on Google, no? This is not a software update those are Google services only Google controls this.
It's still Samsung's implementation of it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's still Samsung's implementation of it.
Do you see anything that would indicate Samsung would have any control of this?
51b3f081aa09efdb2d2546ec705ffd27.jpg
196cc01c31e16fa7419863c810c1ffd5.jpg

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Only that, S24 doesn't have it, yet multiple Samsung devices do. Not to mention devices from other manufacturers. Seems obvious to me.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Not when Google Pixels are on January 2024
Google Play Services is completely separate from Samsung's updates. It is a Google issue. Samsung does not control when Google Play Services gets updated. Google has even said so. The whole point of Google Play Services update was so Google can update components without having to role out major updates or rely on OEMs to provide those updates.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Not that I don't believe, just that I disagree Google is responsible.

It's a Google issue, not Samsung. If it was a Samsung problem, then all Samsung devices would be stuck on the same update. My Tab S9 is on the January 1 2024 update.

"Google Play System Updates were introduced in Android 10 (originally known as Project Mainline). It's mandatory for all Android 10 or newer devices to include Google Play System Updates. While phone and tablet manufacturers are responsible for delivering security patches, Google sends out the Google Play System Updates"

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+ received the January, 2024 Google Play System update about a week ago! My S24U is still on July, 2023. I don't care who's job it is to get things up to date as long as it happens in a reasonable time frame. Is it reasonable for a system update, that is already available to many phones/tablets manufactured by Samsung, to be a full 6 months behind on their top-shelf flagship? That is the real question!

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+ received the January, 2024 Google Play System update about a week ago! My S24U is still on July, 2023. I don't care who's job it is to get things up to date as long as it happens in a reasonable time frame. Is it reasonable for a system update, that is already available to many phones/tablets manufactured by Samsung, to be a full 6 months behind on their top-shelf flagship? That is the real question!
Because Samsung doesn't control the Google Play System update. That is pushed by Google. It is completely separated from the OS and monthly security patches.

"Google Play System Updates were introduced in Android 10 (originally known as Project Mainline). It's mandatory for all Android 10 or newer devices to include Google Play System Updates. While phone and tablet manufacturers are responsible for delivering security patches, Google sends out the Google Play System Updates"

Because of the differences between the various devices. Google has to tailor the update. The S24 is literally brand new, so Google has to produce and test the update. Once it gets a stable version ready, it will push it out.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
While I cannot debate who's truly responsible for the Google Play System update (it is Google's after all) because I really have no valid proof one way or the other.... I struggle to believe that Google has to tailor the update for every different Android device out there! I believe that Google provides the base update with all the "fixes" it wants in the update, but then the individual OEM's have to take that update and manipulate it to work with their devices...Google does not have the time or the incentive to do all the work that is involved to make it work on all the hundreds, possibly thousands, of different Android devices in the wild! YMMV

Reactions: bkeaver and rvbfan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter