How to assign ringtones to text messages

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Galaxy 3 and so far I love the phone but I can't seem to find anyone who knows if you can take an individual contact (like my daughter) and assign her a different ringtone for when I receive her text messages...I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anywhere where you can do it. All help is appreciated.
Thanks all!!

gmmech

May 24, 2011
Visit site
To my knowledge you cant wit the stock message app. However if you use a app like Go SMS you can set ringtones per contact

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge you cant wit the stock message app. However if you use a app like Go SMS you can set ringtones per contact

That doesnt work for texts, just for calls. There is no way to do it, not even in gosms or handcent. I have had both on this phone. Unfortunately this is something they forgot. I wish I could take things i loves from every phone and put it on this one. It's Damn near perfect, but that would be awesome.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Galaxy 3 and so far I love the phone but I can't seem to find anyone who knows if you can take an individual contact (like my daughter) and assign her a different ringtone for when I receive her text messages...I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anywhere where you can do it. All help is appreciated.
Thanks all!!

GoSMS just updated and u can now. Go into individual settings, notifications, choose contact and choose notification like ringtone or LCD light or whatever. Frikkin awesome!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

ladyjej

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 also and I was wondering the same thing because one day I got a text from my son and the ringtone was completely different than the whistle. It was a small beeping chime. Strange. And since that day his ringtone is completely different than the others. I don't know how that happened and I can't figure it out but if it did that then there must be a way. Strange!!

Ladyjej

j1d10t

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if there is a built-in way to do this, but there a great app that lets you do this - Ringo. It lets you set ringtones and notification tones for each contact.

MrVa276

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the Galaxy S3 and I'm running on Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and the best way that I found to do this is to simply go to the play store download and install Go SMS Pro and look under notifications a sub menu will pop up look at the bottom of the list and select music, if you have any music that you have put on your phone all of it will be there and you can set individual text message alerts for any1 in your contacts list, I'm sure this will help you it's pretty easy to do

renauldo86

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you wanting an actual ringtone as a text notification or a different notification sound. If you look in your SD card there is a folder (in media, I think) labeled notifications. You can put whatever tone, mp3, you want in there and it can be used as a notification tone.

On the other hand, on all android devices you can set one with the native app. Open messages, press the menu button, scroll down to notification tone...

Hopefully I helped :)

USC GS3

treborl59

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
You can set differents sounds for each of your contacts. I just go to the contact that you want to add a custom sound and put what you want. Should be able to set ringtone and message alert. I have done it for my sons.

Perlalyonela

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the GoSms and i was able to set different ringtones, but how can I set the duration? I don't want the whole song to play when someone just sends me a text message... Thanks !

gmmech

May 24, 2011
Visit site
you need a short tone for sms alerts, thats why when you look online and on zedge and such the have message tones specifically that are quick 1-2 sec tones usually.

Eblobulator

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new here and I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which I LOVE. I had the iPhone 5 before but it pales in comparison to the Note 2. At least I'm not restricted to iTunes any more.

Anyways, regarding custom tones to assign to people for text tones, you CAN do it. If you download or make custom text tones, when the phone is connected via PC you have to drag the files into the phone under the "Ringtone" folder. Windows will probably ask you if you want to convert it, say no because it won't show up.

After that you then go to your individual contacts, edit and select 'Message Alert". After a window popups up you select the file you put on your phone.

I hope this helps!

CrossFireManiac

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
if you wish to just set a tone for text receipt,try using Handcent SMS , it handles it's own notifications so that you don't have the default notification bound to your text messages

Kimberly Kunkle

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I just received the s4 active and I have it on AT&T I found that if you have AT&T you have to go into the AT&T messenger and shut off notifications then it works great!!!!

deejayburnout

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you wanting an actual ringtone as a text notification or a different notification sound. If you look in your SD card there is a folder (in media, I think) labeled notifications. You can put whatever tone, mp3, you want in there and it can be used as a notification tone.

On the other hand, on all android devices you can set one with the native app. Open messages, press the menu button, scroll down to notification tone...

Hopefully I helped :)

USC GS3

looks like my folder is on my device memory

Maunu Abloy

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Seems, that
Messaging / Settings / Notification ringtone
overrides
Contact / Message Alert tone
Or they are the different things?

Never heared a sound I've set in the last place...

rgds,
Maunu
SGS3@4.1.2

Last edited:

chrisb007

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
It's easy to do this. You don't even need an app.

I emailed an Alert Ringtone to myself (Al Pacino's Hoohah!)
Then I opened the email on my phone and downloaded the ringtone - it went to Downloads
Go to Apps/My Files
Click All Files
Click downloads
press on the ringtone until the menu comes up
Choose Copy
go back to All files
go into notifications folder
Click Paste Here

You're done.

I have an app called Audiomanager which I opened and clicked on "Alerts" ringtone dropdown menu and voila! There it was, big as life.

thirlwall

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
It does help but you need to be even more basic.I'm with you when you say connect the phone to the PC then you loose me.Please go through the procedure as if you are talking to a complete novice with 21st century technology.Thanx

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
thirlwall,
How about we start at the beginning?
1. Do you already know how to assign an existing ringtone to a contact? (On my Verizon phone there are about 35 different ringtones to choose from.)
2. Are you dissatisfied with the built-in ringtones, and if so, have you already downloaded a ringtone that you like to your phone?
3. Do you know how to use the 'My Files' app to find the file(s) that you downloaded?
4. Do you know how to copy/paste or move files from within the 'My Files' app?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

thirlwall

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
GSder Thanx for getting back I do not know how to assign ringtones.I have downloaded a couple of ringtones.I don't know how to carry out the last two procedures you mention.As I said a complete novice.By the way like the dog we have a Shepherd as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laylalowks