HTC One not charging and USB not recognizing ! :(

neihara

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC ONE not charging and Usb not recognizing ! :(

My device started to work fine from last month and now, came back the problem....Charging only when turned off.
I did not open the phone, now I believe that is a software problem...still trying to solve this issue.

dkbv

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I started seeing this on my HTC One since today morning. When it's on and on charge mode, it gets unusually hot and doesn't charge WELL... Tried different things like rebooting, switching it off and charging while it's off, etc. It does charge when it's off but do not think that's the solution. So will wait for some more time or else going to get it inspected at the service center.

anon(8766385)

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I own the new HTC One M8 and had the same issue happen to me last night while my phone was charging. It died and never turned back on even when I left it charging over night. I tried using different PS, cables, and a USB batteries to troubleshoot on my own. I found that the charging port was not active and that my battery wasn't charging at all. I thought my phone was bricked after only having it for a week.

I just contacted HTC support and after a few lines or chatting, my phone is up and running again.

Just in case others run into the issue, I'm sure they'll look here first.

HTC Tech support told me there is a way to reset the communication between the phone and battery by holding down the power button, vol+, and vol- for a full 2 minutes then releasing all buttons. The phone will wake up on its own again and charge, if not attempt a normal power up shortly after. This worked for me.

HTC One (M7) users try this as well and report back if it works as well. If this method and all other methods do not work, contact support they'll either have a solution or have you send it back for diagnostics/repairs.

jfranci3

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just took apart my phone and had the same problem. It looks like its the physical alignment of the USB port internally with casing that's the real problem.

Gayle Bianchi

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
have just been speaking to htc support on this matter on pc...................follow these steps it fixed mine and is charging normally now, well so far...........We will have to perform basic troubleshooting steps on your phone.
10:32:41 [gayle] :
ok
10:32:51 [Rhoda] :
First let's do a soft reset to refresh your phone settings.
10:32:57 [Rhoda] :
Please go to Settings.
10:33:15 [gayle] :
ok
10:33:23 [Rhoda] :
Then tap on Power.
10:33:34 [Rhoda] :
Unchecked Fast boot.
10:33:50 [gayle] :
done
10:33:54 [Rhoda] :
Then turn the phone off for 5 seconds and then turn the phone back on.
10:34:49 [gayle] :
done

10:35:11 [Rhoda] :
Please charge your phone and check if it still have the same issue.
10:37:39 [gayle] :
seems to be fine now, thank you why would that happen

10:37:50 [Rhoda] :
Great! Well the phone needs to be refreshed once in a while.

tankianmoh

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I encountered the same problem. My solution:

1. Removed the charging cable from the power adaptor
2. Plugged it into a USB port on my laptop. It began to charge
3. Unplug it from the USB port and put it back to the power adaptor. It is still charging.

Ogi Ninkovic

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Step 1: Power off the device
Step 2: Press the Power button to initiate booting sequence and wait for the HTC logo to appear on the screen
Step 3: Press and hold the Volume Down button until entering OS
Step 4: You will notice that the device vibrates briefly during this process
Step 5: ?Safe Mode? wording will appear on the bottom left of the screen to confirm that device has entered safe mode.

After this safe mode start I restarted normally and no longer have issues charging the phone.

Cheers.

Brian Schemenski1

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
hi,

Mine was not charging at all after powering itself down from lack of power. I left it connected to the USB cable trying to charge overnight and no success. Then i remembered a little trick I used to do when i was younger with alkaline batteries which was to put them in the freezer.

I kid you not, i put my htc one m8 in a zip lock bag and then put it in the freezer for no more than five minutes. Came back and took it out of the freezer. it was nice and chilled not frozen. Then i simply plugged it into the USB cable again that is attached to my computer and within 2 minutes the light started blinking again. It needed that little bit of power that the freezer gave it from contracting the battery with the little chill it did get.

prior to this i tried cleaning the usb port and every other top with holding power and volume down. try this at your own risk it just worked for me!

onepack

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site

Same problems as everybody else. I had an HTC One which was working perfectly. I was notified of rom update. Immediately after that all the problems started. HTC support (?) were useless and seemed incapable of understanding the problems, which is very odd given the content of this and other forums. I was advised to send the phone off for repair. I was about to go on holiday so I had to buy another phone as my mother was not well. When I eventually got back, I was informed that it was a hardware problem, not covered by warranty and I would have to pay to have it repaired. Being a bit annoyed (to say the least) at being asked to pay to fix a problem that I did not cause, I contacted support again. I pointed out the their third party repairers had failed to mention anything about the problem, or the proposed solution, just a request for payment. The support person informed me that I would need to have the USB port replaced and that would fix all the problems. Not quite sure how that would fix the software issues, but I asked to have the faulty part returned with the repaired phone. Guess what - they don't do that, it against their policy. Nice - just take their word for it that you need to pay. Needless to say I didn't. Eventually my phone was returned and I took it to a repair place for a new USB port (at a fraction of HTC's cost) and surprise surprise - no difference. It is quite evident that there has been a serious problem with HTC's software release which is why it was withdrawn at one point and this is documented by the press. It is time HTC accepted responsibility for this mess and did something about it. Personally I have been in touch with Citizens Advice and it seems I might have a case for issueing a summons through the Small Claims Court. It will cost me more than the repair would have, but somebody has to stand up to HTC. Needless to say I will ensure they get the exposure they deserve through press, forums, Facebook etc. As the trainer used to say in the showers - would you rather have one that looks good, or one that works? Well I've now got an LG G2 and I would recommend it to anyone - bigger screen, faster, better - and - IT WORKS!

skidlid29

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Been having the same 'none charging' situation. Those sujesting that you don't let the battery drain completely need to read peoples problems properly. The phone will not charge unless it it completely empty and shuts down. Only THEN can it be charged. I thought my problem had been brought about by me dropping the phone off my pedal cycle holder whilst out training, but it would appear not. The 'Car Mode' app keeps kicking in as well. There is a way to disable the app, if I remember how to do it I'll post it on here.

However, I did find this solution on another forum.....keep phone plugged into charger when you do it.

1. Turn phone OFF
2. Let charge for AT LEAST 10mins even if it doesn't look like it's charging (mine DID show the new charging animation)
3. Press and hold POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN for AT LEAST 2mins. Anything less will not reset the charge mode.
4. After 2mins release the buttons and the phone should boot as normal.

My phone is now charging normally.

Jason James6

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I was also on holiday in Spain when the problem 1st started... So may something in he hot / humid.

I'm also on 4.2... Wonder if anyone with 4.1 have the same issues (if they have again suggests not software)

Hi im seeing these posts are quite old but im having the same issue with my M8 as we speak unable to charge whilst in host mode car app opening on its own auto rotating home screen answer a call speaker turns on has anyone found a permanent fix for this or a cause htc have mine now for repair just waiting to get it back

An3surk

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site

Hi Jason, I also have the M8 and the same problems started with me as well around the same date as it did with you.
I have read this topic completely and to sum it up I found out that:
- Soft or hardware reset does not work
- All other software related fixes only work temporarely
- Possible Hardware problem where the USB port of the phone is dirty

I have indeed cleaned mine and now do not have the problems anymore but I am afraid they will return after time.

Hope this also works for you.

timmyleeturner

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I'm on AT&T, been using my HTC One happily for well over a year I think. I noticed the other morning when I woke up, my phone had not charged all the way. Plugged it back in for longer and it finally finished. Now I notice that my phone will not charge at all unless it is turned off. Plus, the red charging lite seems to be dimmer than before, not sure. Tried plugging into USB, nothing, different chargers and different cords, no luck. I'm sure it's out of warranty so may be time for a different phone. I tried holding down the Vol button while booting and liked to have never got the phone to come back on. Kept getting error messages about can't mount SD Card. Finally came on, green charging lite blinked and a loud noise now nothing again.

Last edited: