Just do a full reset if you are getting poor battery life...please

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Not going to lie my battery life was horrible... done a factory reset and its geeat now still not close ti ipone 6 plus. I am on 15 battery and i have used since 9am with a lot of phone useage. My 6plus lasted slightly longer but battery has gone a lot better since reseting.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My device had no update available when I powered it on, it came with the latest version out the box, can u still fully reset or is this only for those who had an update available out the box????

Even better. Do the full factory reset.

Just do a Full backup using Samsung Smart Switch app for PC or Mac so at least it should take a lot of your settings and stuff back, so less work to do to be back in action.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Not much difference for me after a hard reset. Mine is on tmo and I think a lot of it has to do with the carrier. I had much better battery life on my ip6 on Verizon--switched to tmo and my battery life was quite a bit worse on that device so I'm not really surprised the GS6 is struggling. It's way worse than my iphone 6. The xda verizon forums aren't littered with battery threads in general(yes there are a few not happy here, but not tons). Strong, steady signal goes a long way to saving battery. The edge on tmo is really just not going to work for me.

KHARDESTY

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
How long does this take? I did a hard reset on mine at 8:00 this morning and now, 3 hours later, it's still at the blue Downloading screen. I do have it plugged in.

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity, would the Factory Data reset option in Settings/Backup and reset do the same thing as turning the phone off, booting with Volume up/home and power button and selecting factory reset there?

If not, then what is the difference between those?

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Not much difference for me after a hard reset. Mine is on tmo and I think a lot of it has to do with the carrier. I had much better battery life on my ip6 on Verizon--switched to tmo and my battery life was quite a bit worse on that device so I'm not really surprised the GS6 is struggling. It's way worse than my iphone 6. The xda verizon forums aren't littered with battery threads in general(yes there are a few not happy here, but not tons). Strong, steady signal goes a long way to saving battery. The edge on tmo is really just not going to work for me.

You might want to try this. I just posted it in another thread. Check the Google Play Newsstand settings. It can decimate battery life. Even if you've never used it, it's set to be constantly updating. You need to uncheck “download via Wi-Fi only.”

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
You might want to try this. I just posted it in another thread. Check the Google Play Newsstand settings. It can decimate battery life. Even if you've never used it, it's set to be constantly updating. You need to uncheck “download via Wi-Fi only.”

Thanks. I disabled mine when I set up the phone since I don't use it.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, would the Factory Data reset option in Settings/Backup and reset do the same thing as turning the phone off, booting with Volume up/home and power button and selecting factory reset there?

If not, then what is the difference between those?

Sounds like the same and in the S6 it may even be the same but is an old habit of mine to do it via the recovery mode, even most manufacturers when give you support tell you to do it via the recovery mode, why? Because on some devices, I don't know if all, the factory reset via the menu just reset system files and I have even seen some that doesn't even delete some apps data and most importantly cache files. Doing it via Recovery mode will put the phone completely stock.

Last edited:

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like the Sangre and in the s6 it may even be the same but is an old habit of mine to do it via the recovery mode, even most manufacturers when give you support tell you to do it via the recovery mode, why? Because on some devices, I don't know if all, the factory reset vida the menu just reset system files and I have even seen some that doesn't even delete some apps data and most importantly cache files. Doing it via Recovery mode will put the phone completely stock.

Cool. Was just wondering. Cause on my S6 edge, I have 2 choices in the menu, Factory data reset and underneath it is Reset settings. I know on the S6, Verizon used the Reset settings instead of Factory data reset. Course I exchanged the S6 for the edge the next day.

If I do decide to do it, I'll go into recovery mode. Just that after doing the changes to wifi settings, my battery life on the edge is lasting longer than I had on the S6, course I didn't do the wifi setting changes or get that one Samsung push update on the S6 before I exchanged it.

Right now I have 55% with Approx 1 day 3 hrs left, and usage since last fully charged is 2d 3h 17m 8s on battery.

Thanks for the info and help.

larryg

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Would you mind indicating exactly how you got to these settings...can't seem to find them,

thanks, Larry

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I did a full factory reset that wiped everything (I did not restore from backup when setting it up again).

Did you do a restore when you first got your device? If so, I'm willing to bet thats where your problem was. I've had problems in the past from doing restores of backups from Google so I don't do them anymore. I install everything one at a time.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This has definitely helped my battery improve and with the added tweaks I haven't seen the cell standby drain issue either. Fingers crossed this holds

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Great topic and find, people should start telling the S6 owners with battery problems to follow as well.

Peter2015

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Big thanks to OP. Since full reset I am getting a far better battery life than before. And i also recommned that to everyone. Thanks again!

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this is a stupid question but I have never done a full factory reset before. I really don't want to have to go in re-do all my appl settings, logins , passwords, etc. Is there a best way to do this with minimal work after teh reset?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this is a stupid question but I have never done a full factory reset before. I really don't want to have to go in re-do all my appl settings, logins , passwords, etc. Is there a best way to do this with minimal work after teh reset?

Not an easy way but if the Smart Switch for PC works as advertised and expected, then I think that is a lot less what you need to redo.

This is the one think I don't know what the majority of Android OEM (in particular Samsung) are waiting for, LG developed a backup App that is almost a full backup, when I needed to use it last year with the LG G3, I think that the only thing I needed to redo was the Wallpaper and Wifi passwords and Bluetooth connections, took me 5 minutes to do those. if LG has it then ALL OEM can do it also, why they don't do it I don't have a clue.

BUT, besides the backup on Smart Switch, download and install Helium from the Play Store, the free version allows you to backup most of Apps and settings to your device, you can always copy that folder to a PC and then put it in your phone back after you reset, or if you want something easier you can pay for the Full version and you can backup to the Cloud and even Sync between devices if you have more than 1 phone.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Did you do a restore when you first got your device? If so, I'm willing to bet thats where your problem was. I've had problems in the past from doing restores of backups from Google so I don't do them anymore. I install everything one at a time.

I did do a restore the first time. I believe you are correct that restoring is not a good idea. Doesn't ever seem to restore app data anyway...just installs apps and wifi/passwords/etc. Nothing does a restore like apple does with iOS. It will remember where you were in the middle of a game!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174