Just do a full reset if you are getting poor battery life...please

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this is a stupid question but I have never done a full factory reset before. I really don't want to have to go in re-do all my appl settings, logins , passwords, etc. Is there a best way to do this with minimal work after teh reset?

Not that I know of. I am now making my checklist of things to do and the order so that I know what to do should I end up with a bad setup again.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure where things went wrong. My battery isn't as bad as it was before the reset, but it has gotten worse as I installed quite a few apps. The battery apps aren't very good at truly showing me what is using the battery. I may have to restart this process all over again and only bring one new app into the mix per day to find the bad seed. Something is offending my battery...I just don't know what it is, and it isn't showing up on the list.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure where things went wrong. My battery isn't as bad as it was before the reset, but it has gotten worse as I installed quite a few apps. The battery apps aren't very good at truly showing me what is using the battery. I may have to restart this process all over again and only bring one new app into the mix per day to find the bad seed. Something is offending my battery...I just don't know what it is, and it isn't showing up on the list.

Keep us updated.... I just finished my factory reset and reloaded all my apps to find your most recent message.

Posted via the Android Central App

Siendorf

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset has made my s6 great now. Battery lasting good and cell standby down almost completely. Thanks again.

Posted via the Android Central App on S6 Edge

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Question for all of you who saw a big change after factory reset: Did you or did you not do a factory reset after downloading the update when you first set up your phone? I am asking becaue I DID do that, and am wondering if there is any point in doing another one. Thanks all!

kwiizu

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I sitll have problem with the battery after factory reset. In a hour I lost 11%.
Then I'm only listend to music and send some text messages omw to my job.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I did another full reset/wiped cache/reset phone last night. I just wasn't happy with having 30-40% battery left after 12-14 hours each day with light use.

This is what I did last night to the phone before I went to sleep:
Setup Exchange
Remove AT&T bloatware
Setup Facebook/messenger
Configure google+ autobackup
Installed Flickr (configured auto-backup on)
Installed Instagram
Installed OneDrive (configured auto-backup on)
Configured Messages for auto-backup/restore (AT&T version) to get my sms messages back.
Setup DND hours
Turn off all the sounds for touches and stuff
Pick ringtone
Setup weather location. Do not enable location for that.
Change Camera settings to turn off shutter, enable voice control, enable location tags, turn on Tracking AF
Turned on s-health and it's autosyncing
Went into s-health and had it sync my account
DID NOT ENABLE GOOGLE NOW CARDS
I DID NOT go into any apps that may start any other potential configurations like s-voice or anything like that.

Night One (4/22-4/23) 8 hours and lost 4%. Happy with .5% per hour while sleeping.

When possible, I make my photo auto-backups in my various apps wifi-only + only while charging. I do not allow it over cellular.

After I test this base configuration for a couple of days to make sure the battery rate stays in a decent range, I will slowly add in other apps from my list below. I'm sure some of them are major offenders. I just need to make sure of which one(s) are truly problematic with the battery. I hate to blame Samsung for a battery problem that is obviously someone else's.

Here's the list of apps to install soon (in no particular order):
Dish Anywhwere
Beats Music
Netflix
Playstation
Xbox Smartglass
Wells Fargo
Our Groceries/Key
Amazon Echo
Destiny App
Philips Hue
Android Wear
Moto Connect (for my Moto 360 watch)

Enable Google Now Cards

I will track this throughout the day and report back later. I'm hoping to not lose more than 30% during the day if I use the phone lightly. Pipe dream? Maybe, but I want my phone to be able to last through a day without a hitch. I had all of these apps and then some on my OnePlus One and could make it through the day with more than 40% left at the end of the day with moderate use, but I had strong privacy settings turned on for that device. I didn't let apps do things I didn't think they should be doing. I had installed some Samsung apps from the samsung store the last time. I noticed that it installed other stuff along with those apps. I don't know if that contributed to my problems or not.

Is there a site somewhere that shows the battery effect of various apps? It would be great to know that a particular app that seems benign actually causes the system to do some sort of activity that drains the battery more rapidly.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just trying to get on the same page with everyone. Not trolling.

-What is considered light use?
-What is considered bad battery life, decent and "great"?

-Is 12 hours with semi heavy use great?
-Is 16 hours with light use "good"?
-Is 10 hours of heavy use "good", having not used wifi or Power Save Mode at all?
-To get "great" battery life....are you using Power Save Mode to achieve that?

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Light use to me is an hour or so of calls, a few text messages. Less than an hour of screen time. I do NOT want to have to turn on any Power Save Mode to get great battery life unless I'm somewhere like Disney for the day and I don't care about my email and other stuff updating.

Battery life comes down to the drain when it is just sitting there for me.
Bad battery life is a drain greater than 5% and hour while it is holding the papers down on your desk.
Good battery life is 3-4% drain per hour as a paper weight.
Great battery life is 1-2% drain per hour as a paper weight.

Ideally, you would be 1% or less drain at night while the phone sleeps long term.

I'm doing a lot of resetting of my phone to find the balance of settings and apps that works well for me. If you follow this thread you will see I'm trying to log what I'm doing down to the littlest thing so if I have success, you may too.

Nothing can account for a crappy cell service in your area that causes you to drain at a horrible rate.

Then it just comes down to what you do with your phone. If you are playing games, just know that you won't have much of a battery life. But it seems like you should be able to listen to several hours of music, surf the web for an hour or so, talk on the phone for an hour, send a bunch of text messages and still end up with 40% battery life by the end of the day. That is my goal anyway.

I want to see the phone tell me that I have close to two days of use available after I take it off the charger. I don't want it telling me I have 20 hours available when it is at 100%.

This screen has a lot of pixels. The more screen time + your brightness level will affect the daily life of your battery.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Mid-day update:
The phone has been on battery for 16 hrs and 45 minutes after my reset last night. It is at 67% battery remaining. This includes a 53 minute call and 54 minutes of screen time. It projects 1 day 9 hours of battery left. If that is true, I shouldn't have to charge my phone again until tomorrow night. We shall see...I will do another update later tonight.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mid-day update:
The phone has been on battery for 16 hrs and 45 minutes after my reset last night. It is at 67% battery remaining. This includes a 53 minute call and 54 minutes of screen time. It projects 1 day 9 hours of battery left. If that is true, I shouldn't have to charge my phone again until tomorrow night. We shall see...I will do another update later tonight.

What brightness setting are you using? 20%, 30%, 50%, auto???

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Well, I got home from work this morning and went ahead and charged it up to 100%, then went into recovery mode and did the cache wipe and then a data factory reset.

Once I did the initial setup using set up device as a new phone, I did the settings in the WiFi and turn syncing off on most everything but what was needed, like gmail. Used Wifi to do the updates from google play and Samsung Apps, redownloaded the themes I liked. etc, by the time I was done my battery was down to 64%. So I charged it back to 100%.

By the time it was done charging it was 9 am, so I unplugged it and went to bed. Got up around 3:30 pm and checked it, it is 99%, now at 4:50 pm it is 98%.

Haven't really used it much, but at least in almost 8 hours of sitting idle it only went down 2% where as before it was around 4% to 6%. Can't remember exactly I do know previous days if I let it sit idle for that long it was more than 2% lower.

Cant wait to see how it does after calling, texting and checking web sites and youtube.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
So my factory reset did help a bit with cell standby. It's no longer at the 50% level, its usually under 30% now. However "Android System" seemed to get a boost now and thats using around 30%. Regardless, I'm still getting a bit better battery life after the reset.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
My brightness is currently set to Auto. I haven't changed any settings from the default for the most part. It is @ 23.5 hours off of the charger, and I'm at 47% battery. That is with 1 hour of call time and 1.5 hours of screen time. Bluetooth is on. I did NOTturn off the HD Voice stuff for AT&T yet. I have not turned on Google Now yet. I haven't installed any Samsung apps that didn't come on the phone. I haven't changed the theme. I did change the ringtones, because I hate the default AT&T ringtones.

I will likely turn on Google Now tomorrow to see how badly Google Play services gnaws at my battery. It doesn't even show up in the battery stats right now. I have not installed any games yet.

I'm really worried what will happen to my battery when I start using google play services. If they really turn into the monster of a battery hog I fear them to be, I may just have to eradicate them from my phone. It will be good to test it out and if it does something bad, try to reverse it without too many other apps getting in the way.

Sorry for the long posts, but if you are like me and still reading this thread, then you care about getting your phone to last a day or two without charging and being able to use it as you want.

It says I have 20 hours left. I'll let you know in the morning where it is.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
As of 7 am EST, I have had my phone off the charger for 1 day and almost 9 hours with an estimated 16 hours left. It is now down to 33% battery left. As of about 15 minutes ago, I turned on the Google Now cards. I really love that feature and hope that it isn't a problem. I'm going to plug in and get it recharged for the day. My goal isn't to see how far I can get on one charge but to make sure I have enough battery at the end of each day to know that my standby time is great. Would hate for the zombie apocalypse to start and have a phone that couldn't at least make it another day while I'm on the run! ;)

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I dont think that I am seeing any improvement after factory reset. Generally I was getting about 16-18 hours on battery with approx 4 hours screen time so I am not terribly dissatisfied but still wish I could do better . If anything I am seeing worse results now and had to suffer through the pain of setting everything up again.

I have auto sync turned off for everything, I disabled all of the bloat and most of the Google Play services app but still use Ok Google and the main play services app for updates. I have turned of wifi scanning, enhanced 4g lte services, set location to wifi and cellular only. I still have screen set at auto brightness and I dont activate power saving until 15% as it messes with auto brightness.

No idea how you guys are getting multiple days on battery and wish I could figure it out.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Exchanged my S6 yesterday to try a different one because of the battery. I think my old one did have a bug or something to that affect..

This is my screens for my first charge at halfway..
My old one would never get close to these numbers.
It was on WiFi all through the night.

So glad took the time to do the exchange.1429890837613.jpg1429890851677.jpg1429890871477.jpg

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Exchanged my S6 yesterday to try a different one because of the battery. I think my old one did have a bug or something to that affect..

This is my screens for my first charge at halfway..
My old one would never get close to these numbers.
It was on WiFi all through the night.

So glad took the time to do the exchange.View attachment 173501View attachment 173502View attachment 173503

6 hours SOT is great, I'm only getting 4 tops which was better than my previously exchanged devices around 3. What were you getting previously?

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Light use to me is an hour or so of calls, a few text messages. Less than an hour of screen time. I do NOT want to have to turn on any Power Save Mode to get great battery life unless I'm somewhere like Disney for the day and I don't care about my email and other stuff updating.

Battery life comes down to the drain when it is just sitting there for me.
Bad battery life is a drain greater than 5% and hour while it is holding the papers down on your desk.
Good battery life is 3-4% drain per hour as a paper weight.
Great battery life is 1-2% drain per hour as a paper weight.

Ideally, you would be 1% or less drain at night while the phone sleeps long term.

I'm doing a lot of resetting of my phone to find the balance of settings and apps that works well for me. If you follow this thread you will see I'm trying to log what I'm doing down to the littlest thing so if I have success, you may too.

Nothing can account for a crappy cell service in your area that causes you to drain at a horrible rate.

Then it just comes down to what you do with your phone. If you are playing games, just know that you won't have much of a battery life. But it seems like you should be able to listen to several hours of music, surf the web for an hour or so, talk on the phone for an hour, send a bunch of text messages and still end up with 40% battery life by the end of the day. That is my goal anyway.

I want to see the phone tell me that I have close to two days of use available after I take it off the charger. I don't want it telling me I have 20 hours available when it is at 100%.

This screen has a lot of pixels. The more screen time + your brightness level will affect the daily life of your battery.

I am so lost! I have a Sprint s6 edge and it says I have 10 hours left/available when I took it off the charger at 100%. is mine defected? PS. I took it off the charger at 7:30 am and now it's 9:15 am and i've only sent some texts and checked instagram for 15 min and my battery is at 90% and says it has 9 hours avail. is something wrong my device? I disabled all the apps that I could. brightness is on 50%. I don't get it!

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am so lost! I have a Sprint s6 edge and it says I have 10 hours left/available when I took it off the charger at 100%. is mine defected? PS. I took it off the charger at 7:30 am and now it's 9:15 am and i've only sent some texts and checked instagram for 15 min and my battery is at 90% and says it has 9 hours avail. is something wrong my device? I disabled all the apps that I could. brightness is on 50%. I don't get it!

I'm on verizon and as well I've never seen my phone say more than 10 hours left....and I turned off my battery percentage cause it was depressing seeing the numbers go down so fast!!! It's getting little frustrating having switched back from iphone...I still have a week left before my final day of return. Hopefully I won't have to....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards