Lack of reporting on Cracked screen from AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
If you read most of the websites posting the issues (from Phandroid, Droid Central, Forbes - to the the most obscure tech websites), everyone seems to simply be quoting the same reddit over and over again. Commentors are not posting that the same thing happened to them. The fact that no one had even started a thread in AC showing their own phones with cracked glass seems to imply that these were isolated incidents.

This ^
And this incidentally is how a lot of tech blogs work when it comes to these topics. They all basically just repeat what one blog wrote coming from the same source which gives the impression that there are more incidents when there isn't. I actually think some credit is due to AC for not repeating it. They easily could've said "oh look, click bait!" in order to generate a few more ad dollars but they didn't so kudos to them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This ^
And this incidentally is how a lot of tech blogs work when it comes to these topics. They all basically just repeat what one blog wrote coming from the same source which gives the impression that there are more incidents when there isn't. I actually think some credit is due to AC for not repeating it. They easily could've said "oh look, click bait!" in order to generate a few more ad dollars but they didn't so kudos to them.

Exactly. It is usually, 'Android People said Fan Droid quoted Robotocopo as saying that Sammobile thinks Samsung is going to abandon Android in favor of Tizen!' And the headline reads, "SAMSUNG FOR SURE IS GIVING GOOGLE THE BIRD WE HAVE PROOF!"

Except, Sammobile didn't say that, Sammobile isn't Samsung and the strategy makes no sense - at all. So, unless a reliable source can be quoted with independent corroboration, this is not considered to be "news" and should, in a perfect world have a headline that said something to the effect of, "THING WE WROTE ABOUT THAT IS SO MUCH ********** ******** THAT CALLING IT A RUMOR WOULD BE TOO GENEROUS, SERIOUS DO NOT READ THIS!!! - SAMSUNG HATES GOOGLE". Or something like that.

Having a little bit of restraint and valuing your credibility over your ability to "scoop" (which is dumb, because - everyone already spread the misinformation, so there is no #first content) - is a good thing, right?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. It is usually, 'Android People said Fan Droid quoted Robotocopo as saying that Sammobile thinks Samsung is going to abandon Android in favor of Tizen!' And the headline reads, "SAMSUNG FOR SURE IS GIVING GOOGLE THE BIRD WE HAVE PROOF!"

Except, Sammobile didn't say that, Sammobile isn't Samsung and the strategy makes no sense - at all. So, unless a reliable source can be quoted with independent corroboration, this is not considered to be "news" and should, in a perfect world have a headline that said something to the effect of, "THING WE WROTE ABOUT THAT IS SO MUCH ********** ******** THAT CALLING IT A RUMOR WOULD BE TOO GENEROUS, SERIOUS DO NOT READ THIS!!! - SAMSUNG HATES GOOGLE". Or something like that.

Having a little bit of restraint and valuing your credibility over your ability to "scoop" (which is dumb, because - everyone already spread the misinformation, so there is no #first content) - is a good thing, right?

Right indeed. As far as I'm concerned, reddit is a scourge to tech news (among other things). I get that a lot of sites will have some kind of reddit presence because it's another popular social source of revenue to tap just like FB or Twitter but that's one thing. Citing questionable reddit feeds as "news" however is another thing entirely. Especially when you damn well those media sites did virtually no confirmation or investigation into it. My two main sources of android news are AC, XDA, and Anandtech and that's it because they rarely let me down. I use AC for main stories and general news. Anandtech I go to when I want detailed nerdy reviews of aspects of a smartphone the general public doesn't care about. XDA is where I generally turn to for troubleshooting because they have a lot of members who are incredibly talented at getting to the bottom of defects, which should be expected from a site with a huge developer membership. They pretty much led the charge on uncovering the details of the multi-touch issues on the Nexus 7 for example while Google's support forums dithered.

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I've literally checked every single "problem" people on the internet have come up with as a problem on this phone. I can't find a single one. I'm not saying this isn't happening. But if AC isn't reporting on it, maybe there are not really enough people with it. I've seen people complaining about damage after having dropped their phone, but that's no one's fault but their own.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Tech sites are traffic-driven.... and many of the popular sites we all visit are actually very small outfits that are very sensitive to advertising revenue, revenue that is almost solely dependant on the number of people who frequent their pages.

So they are often on the lookout for the next 'Bendgate' or the S-Pen thing. Some story that will get a lot of people's attention.... It doesn't take much to get a simple post on a site like Reddit to blossom into a full blown story. Someone sees it, posts it on their blog with a leading question like "Does the 6P got all cracky?". The community is extremely small, so news travels fast and things get reposted, etc. As little as ONE person with an issue can create a hugh cascade of coverage, leading to 'widely reported incidents of blah blah".

People see a bunch of headlines pop up and equate that with a wide-spread issue, when, in reality, it might stem from one or two people. Perception becomes reality and people then believe that the 6P will explode the instant they open the box.

Look, there may very well be a defect is some units. These things happen. The amount of glass Corning makes is staggering, and even the slightest imperfection in the process can cause issues. It could very well be a problem with a single sheet that they used to cut out a small batch of phones, etc. But that is why there are warranties related to manufacturing defects.... if there IS a problem with the glass, isolated or not, it will be addressed and fixed.

If this was a systemtic problem with the design that caused them all to go pop, a) Google would have known and delayed while Corning addressed the issue and b) you'd hear about 1st hand problems on more sites than Reddit.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
People see a bunch of headlines pop up and equate that with a wide-spread issue, when, in reality, it might stem from one or two people. Perception becomes reality and people then believe that the 6P will explode the instant they open the box.
Sorry couldn't resist this lol...
Dept. Of Defense to purchase 100 million exploding Nexus P's to replace aging claymore inventory

The Chief of defense staff revealed yesterday that after careful review of a site called Reddit, the Pentagon believes this is the prefect replacement for the outdated claymore mines. In a press release yesterday he issued the following statement:

"With the high demand for smartphones in today's market, we believe the enemy will be unable to resist opening up these boxes of exploding Nexus 6p phones left out by our armed forces"

:D :p ;)

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I just want to add to this convo. I had a Samsung Galaxy S5. I never dropped it, had a tempered glass screen protector on it, etc. Once day at my nieces party I took my phone out to take pictures and noticed that i couldn't get a clear image on screen. naturally I thought the lens was covered in pocket lint and as i turned it around to clean it, the small little glass over the lens was shattered. No again, never dropped the phone...couldn't figure out how it happened until i finally realized that I was rushing out the door and I bumped into my kitchen table where my phone was in my pocket.

Once glass has a very slight chip in it, especially on the edge, that's all you need to cause a instant fracture at any moment (even changes in temp). It was the same thing that happened with a windshield on my car. There was a slight chip that I never saw under the trim. As I was driving one day, this crack appeared out of no where and it shot across from the drivers side to the passenger side. I thought it was a manufactures defect until the windshield place showed me where the crack originated from.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
We should start a thread on reddit widespread reports of consumers having perfect Nexus 6p's being delivered and functioning perfectly. Lol

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yep....

Cracks in glass are the devil's signature. :) A tiny tini little defect magnifies force. That is why a small crack can turn into a giant web in an instant. A tiny little nick can lie dormant for days, weeks, months until one day just the right kind of force vector hits it and and ALLLLLL the energy is focused on spot that might only be a few atoms of silicon wide.

And this is precisely how Gorilla Glass is supposed to work. Corning is resigned to the fact that the glass will get damaged somehow... but the crap they impregnate the glass is supposed to kind of act like glue to prevent a microcrack from turning into a shattered screen.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep....

Cracks in glass are the devil's signature. :) A tiny tini little defect magnifies force. That is why a small crack can turn into a giant web in an instant. A tiny little nick can lie dormant for days, weeks, months until one day just the right kind of force vector hits it and and ALLLLLL the energy is focused on spot that might only be a few atoms of silicon wide.

And this is precisely how Gorilla Glass is supposed to work. Corning is resigned to the fact that the glass will get damaged somehow... but the crap they impregnate the glass is supposed to kind of act like glue to prevent a microcrack from turning into a shattered screen.

I always thought the Gorilla glass was just tougher to crack, not prevent a crack in the glass from spreading.

thigatl

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I am one of the four people that have experienced the rear glass crack. This happened at some point during the the first two days of use. I don't believe this happened spontaneously... I did not use a case (but was planning to...) and set the phone down many times during the two day period. I never dropped it and it was never out of my possession. I called Google who eventually passed me on to Huawei who suggested that I would likely get a new phone and needed to send an email with pictures to show the damage. I did this five days ago and no response. I sent another email this morning asking for follow up - no response. I am pretty confident that I will be SOL and have come to terms with it. I just feel I should share my story so others are aware of this very frustrating experience. I guess I just got a bad phone or honestly put it down too hard without knowing it. I really love this phone and will seriously consider getting a new one even if I get nothing from Google / Huawei but I will definitely get the Nexus Protect program and a case. I just wish Huawei would at least respond to my ticket...

Attachments

• 1447296515606.jpg
    1447296515606.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 46

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am one of the four people that have experienced the rear glass crack. ...

Sorry to hear. If say keep at it. This early, it can be a pain to get taken care of. But stay on it and I'm guessing you will end up with a warranty replacement... Just be patient.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You mean the 4 people that mysteriously had their phone just randomly crack? AC doesn't report on insurance fraud I guess. Gotta go, my dog just spontaneously combusted.

cpowerca

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I am one of the four people that have experienced the rear glass crack. This happened at some point during the the first two days of use. I don't believe this happened spontaneously... I did not use a case (but was planning to...) and set the phone down many times during the two day period. I never dropped it and it was never out of my possession. I called Google who eventually passed me on to Huawei who suggested that I would likely get a new phone and needed to send an email with pictures to show the damage. I did this five days ago and no response. I sent another email this morning asking for follow up - no response. I am pretty confident that I will be SOL and have come to terms with it. I just feel I should share my story so others are aware of this very frustrating experience. I guess I just got a bad phone or honestly put it down too hard without knowing it. I really love this phone and will seriously consider getting a new one even if I get nothing from Google / Huawei but I will definitely get the Nexus Protect program and a case. I just wish Huawei would at least respond to my ticket...
post on huawei facebook, twitter anywhere that people might see this.

anon(25362)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
yech I have the nexus 6p graphite 128gb and the visor cracked at some point yesterday - didn't drop it or have any extreme weather change. Its cracked off to the right side of the visor away from the camera which is good. So far phone is functional but i think the glass will start popping out in the next few days. Love the phone - but this kinda stinks. I can post a pic when I get back home.

See a couple pics - not sure why some on here hate. I do think the title if this thread isn't necessarily the most appropriate. I don't think AC is censoring anything lol but at the same time some users to lash out at (albeit a rare minority it looks like) for presenting their case/situation seems unwarranted, I second guess whether to even post this. Just sharing what happened to me. I reached out to Google live chat and on phone both times they said they would email me back haven't received any status yet. They didn't tell me to contact Huawei and I did buy Google Protect but don't want to use that for this as I did nothing to trigger the crack.
Nexus 6p Crack 2.jpgnexus 6p crack.jpg

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
See a couple pics - not sure why some on here hate. I do think the title if this thread isn't necessarily the most appropriate. I don't think AC is censoring anything lol but at the same time some users to lash out at (albeit a rare minority it looks like) for presenting their case/situation seems unwarranted, I second guess whether to even post this. Just sharing what happened to me. I reached out to Google live chat and on phone both times they said they would email me back haven't received any status yet. They didn't tell me to contact Huawei and I did buy Google Protect but don't want to use that for this as I did nothing to trigger the crack.
View attachment 205582View attachment 205583

The only thing I have a problem with is people saying that it is widespread when it isn't. I would also say that with the internet being what it is, you can't just take people at their word either. If it is truly an issue for you, I think you should definitely hold the company accountable to fix it. But at the same time, who's to say that some people didn't also crack it themselves either by accident or even on purpose and don't want to pony up the money to repair it? Anymore, you really can't take anyone at their word because it seems more and more people have no problem lying to get what they want, which is cold comfort when you actually have a problem but people are reluctant to believe you. But it's the world we live in.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
See a couple pics - not sure why some on here hate.

Well, it is the reaction that is drawing the ire, not the people who might actually have the issue. Everyone is growing tired of the tech story cycle here, it now mirrors the hogwash we see on cable news... it's all about sensational headlines and illiciting a strong reacion, positive or negative. Some stories are positioned to start a flame war in their comments, etc. As little as one person can have something happen, or do something, or say something, and it turns into this big worldwide story.

I think a lot of people are basically tired of the whole thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.