Maybe I Should Have Returned it While I Still Had The Chance

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You should read your contract with Best Buy - especially the fine print..... :sly:
Usually there is something like a "normal use" limitation in these things. I would just ask them if they consider unlocking and rooting to be within what they consider to be normal use.
But frankly, with a kid and starting a business, I doubt that you will find the time to really learn and understand the process. It took me several days of intensive reading and research until I felt sure I could do it without turning my tablet into an expensive paperweight :D

There are very different opinions about the usefulness or necessity of antivirus apps on Android.
I am in the corner of those who think they are not necessary and can cause more problems than they prevent, but you do have to be more careful about what you install than on an iOS device. Apple controls very strictly what can and cannot be installed on their hardware, the Apple environment is kind of like a very nice garden with a 5 story wall around it and the only entrance is viciously controlled.
Android is much more open which gives the user more options and flexibility, including more options to screw things up. It's again a matter of personal preference: Security versus freedom...

Try a factory reset and report back here how it went. It doesn't take that long - you can do it while watching your favorite soap :)

Glad if I can help, I learned everything I know about the TF700 on forums - gotta pass it on.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Will do. :)
I should have time since my son is in school and I can't really work on my business until this is fixed anyways. I want to understand everything I can with this so it will also help me in the future. Any Idea's on why when I use the app for this form the pre-set part that says where I'm sending it from doesn't move down anymore while I'm typing? It's really annoying because I can see what I'm typing when I'm typing over it but when I summit it it goes at the end like it should.
Oh, and I was also going to ask you, since there was no way to have a protection plan added for my dock is it covered under the 1 year warranty through Asus since it's their product?

It still would be nice if the auto correct, spell check, swype like features, etc worked while using the dock while typing with real keys. After I got my iPhone I hardly even used my Windows laptop because it's older and my phone was just always right next to me and I got so used to spell check and auto correct and it auto capitalizing for me that I thought that would be a nice feature to have and thought that maybe with a tablet that actually has a keyboard dock that you can use that it would have more of those features if that makes sense.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, Will do. :)
I should have time since my son is in school and I can't really work on my business until this is fixed anyways. I want to understand everything I can with this so it will also help me in the future. Any Idea's on why when I use the app for this form the pre-set part that says where I'm sending it from doesn't move down anymore while I'm typing? It's really annoying because I can see what I'm typing when I'm typing over it but when I summit it it goes at the end like it should.
Oh, and I was also going to ask you, since there was no way to have a protection plan added for my dock is it covered under the 1 year warranty through Asus since it's their product?

It still would be nice if the auto correct, spell check, swype like features, etc worked while using the dock while typing with real keys. After I got my iPhone I hardly even used my Windows laptop because it's older and my phone was just always right next to me and I got so used to spell check and auto correct and it auto capitalizing for me that I thought that would be a nice feature to have and thought that maybe with a tablet that actually has a keyboard dock that you can use that it would have more of those features if that makes sense.

Try Smart Keyboard Pro (there is a trial version). It has hard keyboard support, but I don't know how well it works with the TF700. Other than that, Swiftkey is the only keyboard I know to show predictions in dock mode and after messing around with it a little, it actually works pretty good! Maybe a recent update improved it. Did you try the tablet version?

I don't know the Android Central app - I'm using Tapatalk. There's a thread on XDA where some people are discussing this problem of the jumping cursor (which I don't have) - no solution yet... Some knowledgeable people think it's Java script related, but then - why does it only happen to some people?
Did you try disabling the touchpad (4th button from left in top row)? I found I kept brushing it and that would move the cursor every which way....

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually always have mine disabled because of that and also I end up just touching the screen instead anyways, of course then I've gotten used to that and when I go to use my laptop I have to remind myself that it's not touch screen!
Because of all the issues with the tablet and dock I'm kind of thinking hat maybe I should have just replaced my laptop with a touch screen one and waited on the tablet part but oh well just have to make do.
As far as Swiftkey or any other keyboard app I just can't pay for them, same goes for Tapatalk. The only reason I even got this app was because I was on the website so often then found out it had an app.
What's the best apps or apps I should stay away from if I want to personalize my touch keyboard with a colored one? I didn't know if the one's for Droid phones are fine or not even though all I am using is Swype. I do want to personalize it more like you would an iPhone when you jailbreak it and might as well try some apps now then get my tablet running good again and messing it up, ya know?
I noticed on my sons Galaxy tab that all the apps were 3rd party apps when I was working on something on it and thought that was odd because we only use the play store. Oh another thing I noticed was his actually already had a task manager on it that looked just like the apps. After you told me about my task killer I thought I'd take his off too and that's when I noticed that but I think the one I had on there helps more and the main reason I wanted one on his is because he doesn't always close out of stuff because he is a kid but it's off for now and using the one already on there but I didn't see the same thing under my settings like what he has or is there one that I just over looked or something?

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hated the keyboard SlideIT and thought I would try SwiftKey out again. Wow did it go crazy when I pulled the browser up while on the dock. It made the screen flicker! I'm using it right now trying to give it a chance but after the flickering thing I don't know if I should even bother since I'm fine with using just swype since I have enough issues with this tablet and dock as is.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hated the keyboard SlideIT and thought I would try SwiftKey out again. Wow did it go crazy when I pulled the browser up while on the dock. It made the screen flicker! I'm using it right now trying to give it a chance but after the flickering thing I don't know if I should even bother since I'm fine with using just swype since I have enough issues with this tablet and dock as is.

Which browser did you use? Swiftkey works fine for me with stock browser and Chrome. No flickering, even predictions work fine. Also works fine in Gmail - and I seem to remember that I didn't have predictions in Gmail last time I tried Swiftkey with the dock.
I am using Swiftkey Tablet 4.0.0.106

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I was using the stock browser but I ended up deleting Swiftkey again anyways after I made that post anyways because I really am perfectly happy with just having Swype and keeping things less complicated.
Ok, well now I just finished writing down my apps so I can do a factory system restore like suggested. Well, about to do it 3 times like suggested lol.
Well, here goes nothing I guess... See you on the other side hopefully all fixed and with no problems!

Splitz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I was using the stock browser but I ended up deleting Swiftkey again anyways after I made that post anyways because I really am perfectly happy with just having Swype and keeping things less complicated.
Ok, well now I just finished writing down my apps so I can do a factory system restore like suggested. Well, about to do it 3 times like suggested lol.
Well, here goes nothing I guess... See you on the other side hopefully all fixed and with no problems!

There has been documented problems with 3rd party keyboards with the TF700. It isn't the tablet, it's the app.

Search on xda developers forum for additional details.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Good luck! :thumbup:

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, I did a total of 4 factory setting resets and this app is the first one I have downloaded so far.
My email widget doesn't seem to be much better at all so I'm still not sure what to do about that.
At least I'm not in any hurry to download apps on here since it got to the point that all I started using my tablet for was to watch Netflix and since that already comes stocked I'll just take my time on the rest.
So, far (knock on wood) this app seems to be working better so we will see how long that lasts.
I don't think I ever got an answer from you on me having a warranty on my dock through Asus since I'm having issues with it just like I had talked about before, so I'm guessing I should have a 1 year warranty on it as well right?
Ok, next step, what should I work on next? Trying to figured out whats wrong with the email widget before I download anything else?
Since you know this stuff well, you shall be my teacher! lol
What next master? lol

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I did a total of 4 factory setting resets and this app is the first one I have downloaded so far.
My email widget doesn't seem to be much better at all so I'm still not sure what to do about that.
At least I'm not in any hurry to download apps on here since it got to the point that all I started using my tablet for was to watch Netflix and since that already comes stocked I'll just take my time on the rest.
So, far (knock on wood) this app seems to be working better so we will see how long that lasts.
I don't think I ever got an answer from you on me having a warranty on my dock through Asus since I'm having issues with it just like I had talked about before, so I'm guessing I should have a 1 year warranty on it as well right?
Ok, next step, what should I work on next? Trying to figured out whats wrong with the email widget before I download anything else?
Since you know this stuff well, you shall be my teacher! lol
What next master? lol

Jeez! Too much pressure! I am no master in anything - except maybe procrastinating :D
Well it's a good sign if this app is working better.
Remind me what's wrong with your email widget.. What email service are you using? And what email app?? The master is using Gmail - and is clueless about anything else. LOL
Yes, you're dock is covered at least under the one year Asus warranty, and possibly under your extended warranty as well if you bought it at the same time. What are your issues with the dock?

The master also has a serious case of CRS (can't remember sh**) LOL

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Look up higher on this post or others I've posted but as far as the widget goes, it's the stock one and the email account is gmail. It used to have no problems with showing when I have mail and would pop up along whenever my phone would whenever I'd get an email and now it does every now and then and you can only set it to check for new mail every 5 mins or more. The gmail app works fine but I want to use the widget that comes stock.
I know the dock isn't covered under a protection plan like my tablet because they don't offer it which I think is crap but lately while it's docked and even on the charger it says 99% when it hasn't even been taken off and randomly the black box will pop up as if I jus docked it and it no longer vibrates when I do connect the 2 like it always did.
Since I haven't downloaded anything else should I try the antivirus and ad blocker to make sure they won't cause issues?
I'm not really in any hurry to download apps since it already has Netflix pre-downloaded. I feel like that's all this dang thing is good for as of now.
Oh, ya? You have CRS too?? Me and my boyfriend have that too! lol

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Look up higher on this post or others I've posted but as far as the widget goes, it's the stock one and the email account is gmail. It used to have no problems with showing when I have mail and would pop up along whenever my phone would whenever I'd get an email and now it does every now and then and you can only set it to check for new mail every 5 mins or more. The gmail app works fine but I want to use the widget that comes stock.
I know the dock isn't covered under a protection plan like my tablet because they don't offer it which I think is crap but lately while it's docked and even on the charger it says 99% when it hasn't even been taken off and randomly the black box will pop up as if I jus docked it and it no longer vibrates when I do connect the 2 like it always did.
Since I haven't downloaded anything else should I try the antivirus and ad blocker to make sure they won't cause issues?
I'm not really in any hurry to download apps since it already has Netflix pre-downloaded. I feel like that's all this dang thing is good for as of now.
Oh, ya? You have CRS too?? Me and my boyfriend have that too! lol

I'm not quite sure which email widget you are talking about... The gmail widget?
I get a notification in the notification bar (the panel that comes up when you touch the lower right/clock area) whenever I get new mail. You do not get that?

If everything is working well so far, you could try the ad blocker or the antivirus and see if it changes anything. I would go one at a time so that you immediately know who the culprit is if things change for the worse.
How's it running now anyway? Still got the cursor jumping around?

About the dock: Where do you see the 99% max charge even when it's on the charger? In the notification panel? The battery widget? And for which battery? The dock or the tablet's? Also don't know what black box you have popping up???

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
It's the stock widget that you can put on your screen that's actually there when you first buy it that you can add any email account to, My gmail app works just fine but I have yet to see a widget like that one for it.
As far as the charging goes, the battery stays at 99% for the dock and shows it in the notification pull up at the bottom. The black box I had never seen before until it started popping up when I first noticed the charging issue. I'll be watching Netflix and this black box with a white picture shows up showing the dock and tablet are connected as if I just connected them.
I have noticed that my browser is still laggy at times but I like the style of it which is why I never really bothered to use a different one and when I did download Firefox I couldn't figure out the bookmarks. For instance, say I want to bookmark something and put it in a folder like the stock browser, I don't see the option of how to do that and then couldn't even find my bookmarks later when I needed to. I tried Chrome as well but I've never really liked the set up, not really sure why though.
I asked Best Buy if they could root my tablet since it was mentioned before and of course they said no and I'm getting so frustrated that I've talked to them about returning it through the Asus warranty which is still a 50/50 shot but I want this tablet to just work the way it should since I waited so long to even have the money to buy it. And I'm sure that if the dock charging issue is with the dock then the Asus warranty would replace it but I know I really do need to take them to Best Buy to figured out which is causing the issue but the closest Best Buy is about 20 mins away in the next town and I'd rather save the gas and go whenever I'm already going there for something else as well.
I'm not sure if I got an answer to this question but I know that Rooting the tablet will void my Asus warranty but do you have any idea if it would also effect my protection plan through Best Buy? I have a feeling it more than likely will but I just thought I'd ask anyways.
You know, another thing about the issues and maybe returning it bothers me even more because there's nothing I'd want in it's place so even if I were able to return it through the Asus warranty I have no clue would I'd buy in it's place and also if I didn't replace it I'd probably we out the money I spent on the extra protection plan even though I'm not certain on that.
I'm sure if I did buy something in it's place it would probably be a new laptop since I've had mine since 07 and either way I'm planning on buying the iPad Mini after they come out with a few to fix any problems since I know better than to buy the first generation of one of their products. When I was debating between the Infinity 700 and regular iPad I knew what I wanted to use it for and a keyboard was a must to me on a screen this side because it's not something I would take with me wherever I go. (I have a big purse with a lot of stuff in it but not enough for a 10" screen tablet and a keyboard) Even though there are bluetooth keyboards and cases to make it have more of a laptop feel I really liked the dock idea ever since I first saw it for another tablet a few years back. Then coming across this one and the features, like the battery life which I have yet to see anything that even comes close to how much this one has and also I liked the look vs Windows and their boxes on their screen because this set up adds to the laptop feel I was wanting.
And also since I'm planning on getting the iPad Mini later anyways it seemed silly to buy the regular one plus the keyboard etc which I won't be buying for the Mini. I knew I wanted either this style or one of the others that "transform" whether that be like one of the HP's that has the screen that turns and lays flat on top of the keys which I always thought was cool and it has been around longer than most of the "transforming" type laptops. I was never a huge fan of the one that's the flip screen laptop (if you know which one I'm referring to) the new Asus that actually has dual touch screens is pretty dang cool! Not sure if you have seen it or not but it's a pretty awesome idea but a couple of down sides for me are 1, it's something new so it's going to have some issues to start out with that will slowly be worked out like most things (which I figured the Infinity wouldn't have the issue since the made other models before this one) and then 2, the dual screen Asus also of course has Windows, which I'm not even sure why I don't want another Windows device but I can't remember if that one had the stupid boxes like the tablets and phones do or if it's just like standard Windows or it could be both since it becomes a tablet when it closes. Either way I haven't seen it in a store yet so my whole opinion on it could completely change. But here I go rambling on and getting side tracked as usual.. Ok, so if I did give up and they let me return it I still never found a laptop that's the same size that I liked plus most that are this side are Netbooks which I don't want.
I haven't actually started my own business yet but I needed a laptop/tablet that would help get me started and I don't want to buy the apps I need for starting my interior design business until I's certain I'm sticking with Droid or it would be a waste of money, ya know?
Of course iTunes offers a couple of interior design apps that I wish the play store did but this is just to help get me started and who knows, maybe they will end up making them for Droid down the road but that was one of the reasons that I will be buying the Mini later is to use certain apps on a scree big enough to show future clients and would be much easier to carry around to have with me at all times, if any of that makes sense, but anyways... (still would be nice if auto correct worked with typing on the dock just like it does with Swype rather than Swiftkey that just shows predictions but maybe some day it will, so I'll just keep hoping for it lol)

Ok, again sorry for rambling, and thanks again for all your help, I really do appreciate it.
Oh, and how do you add people on here as "friends"? I have no clue how and I wanted to add you.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi stuckhere972, there's no way really to "friend" somebody on the forums... It ain't Facebook, and no need to really, but thank you! I appreciate it.

I think you're dock battery is slightly out of calibration. It "thinks" it's fully charged when it isn't. It happens, and opinions why differ, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as the charge goes to 99%. If the discrepancy gets larger you may want to look into re-calibration, but you have to mess with system files for that, get rooted, and opinions about the effectiveness of re-calibration differ widely.
It seems to be better to top off ion-lithium batteries before they completely drain, so maybe make sure you charge the dock before it's completely empty.

I really have no clue what the black box popping up may be :what:
My tablet just chimes softly when I connect the dock, no vibrate like you mentioned earlier either......??

Sorry to hear that the browser still lags. Unfortunately that is pretty normal for the TF700 on stock ROM.

Two possibilities here:
1. Try Boat Browser. A lot of people seem to really like it and it performs better on stock than the stock browser or Chrome.

2. And this may solve other issues too: Wait for the Jelly Bean 4.2 upgrade for the TF700. We expect Asus to release it for the TF700 within 4-8 weeks or so.
The TF300 already got it and in the past Asus has 'tested' a new update on the lower end model before they release it to the TF700.
Reading the TF300 forums, a lot of users report much better performance on the new ROM, so let's hope it will be the same for us :)

I think you are referring to the new Asus Taichi laptop/tablet hybrid. I agree, it looks very cool, but on Amazon it sells for $1500 - gulp!!
Yes, it runs Windows 8 - and I'm not a big fan of the new tile interface either...
The only advantage of Windows 8 for tablets is, that you can run standard Windows programs on it, and so far I have always found an Android app to replace or substitute for that.
I have a Windows XP desktop at home and my laptop (which I hardly touch anymore) runs Windows 7 - I'm just not ready for another Windows 'flavor'......

Hang in there! I'm sure you'll make this tab work for you.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
As far as the battery goes it think it's really fully charged and it just think's it isn't than the other way around but I have noticed that the percentage on the dock has slowly been going down, yesterday it was 98% and today it's 96%. I doubt I've ever let any of my devices die because I always keep my charger on me and when I'm not using a device I just keep it plugged in so I never forget to charge it later and when I connect the dock that black box doesn't pop up so I don't know what the heck it is so I'll try to screen shot it if I can. As far as the sound or vibrate when the tablet is attached to the dock, yours chimes because it's probably not on vibrate when you do it but mine doesn't even make the chime whenever the sound is on but does show at the bottom, where the clock is that it has been connected but without it making any sort or noise or vibrating like I was used to plus it never charging to 100% like it used to I'm sure there's a connection problem on one of them or both which I need to have looked at so it can get rid of that stupid box, which it actually chimes when that randomly pops up which is annoying when I'm watching something on Netflix.
I will try the browser you suggested and let you know how that goes. AH! the stupid black box just popped up and I didn't get to the buttons in time to screen shot it!
On a good note, I downloaded Dr Web Antivirus and so far I haven't noticed any changes so I'm guessing there's no problem with it yet. Any idea's on the stock email widget? Did you understand which one I was referring to?
Oh, and the reason I asked about adding a friend is because mine looks like you can do something like that along with private messages but I know you're using a different app and something I noticed, I believe under settings is even though my app isn't Tapatalk it has that written somewhere for this app, maybe because mine is a free version and just called something else?
As far as updates etc. that's what I have been hoping for so maybe the small problems will be fixed when that finally happens which would be awesome.
Random question for you, are there any changes in the settings that can be beneficial to help it run better that I wouldn't really know about? Or any apps that are just good to have in general? Not sure if any of that makes sense but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Well since I need to go buy a new printer I was planning on taking my tablet and dock with me to see what they say about the battery/dock stuff and maybe they can help with the email widget since it used to work great with no problems for about a month and a half and then just decided it didn't want to work right and not be in sync with my account anymore. For example, if I get new mail and delete it off my phone it used to remove it from the stock email app as well but that was also when the widget worked like it was suppose to and even factory resets didn't fix that.

Last edited:

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
i'm afraid i won't be much help with the email app and widget. When i loaded the custom ROM I did not install the stock email because I never use it, so I don't have the widget either and cannot test it.
A quick search showed me that you are not alone with the email widget not working properly, but why it did well for a few weeks and then quit - I don't know.
Have you tried deleting and setting up again your email account? Do you configure it as POP or IMAP?

One change in settings that MAY be helpful (in general - nothing to do with email) is under 'Developer Options'. Check 'Force GPU rendering".
I don't really know what that does :) - just following the advice of more knowledgeable people, but that change has helped some people with random boot problems. Fortunately you don't seem to have that problem, but it won't hurt to try it out.

Funny - never thought to check, but I just let tablet and dock charge fully and my dock battery also shows 99% and stays there. I don't worry about it though since with both batteries I have more juice that I need most of times ;)

Reg. that black box: Have you tried a 'cold boot'? Lately or ever? That sometimes clears conflicts between applications, kinda gives the tab a fresh start.
For a cold boot:
Turn off your tablet completely (using the power down function, long pressing the power button)
With the dock attached hold the Volume Down button (left side of the rocker) and at the same time press and hold the power button.
Hold both buttons for 5-10 seconds until you see some tiny white text appear, then let go of both buttons and let the tab boot normally.
No data will be wiped - just clears various cache areas.

Apps I like:
Quickpick instead of Gallery app,
News360,
PDANet to tether the tablet to my phone when no wifi. You'll also need PDANet and/or FoxFi on your phone (if Android).
HoverNote to take notes while browsing etc,
1 Tab Quick bar (let's you put shortcuts to favorite apps in the notification bar)

Oh, and on the subject of you missing auto correct: Have you checked out this website?
http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Good for some belly-aching laughs! LOL

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have tried a few different things when it comes to the email widget but at least I'm not alone on that.

Oh crap now this app isn't working right again by the info not bumping down whenever I hit enter like it was earlier today and the last thing I downloaded was that web browser you suggested. Should I delete it and make sure that's the issue since nothing seemed to happen with when I downloaded the Antivirus app? before you suggested the web browser I was going to download the Airpush app next so I'll wait on that now.

I changed the general setting like you suggested, I'm kind of surprised you didn't look into it yourself so you actually knew what it does though. My email just kind of worked right now, it wasn't completely in sync with the email on my phone but it showed up a less than a minute later but whenever I delete an email I'm still having to delete it from both accounts which becomes really annoying after a while.

As far as the battery dock percent, it used to say it was 100% and then when it issues started is when it went to 99% but now for it to have dropped to 96% in the past 2 days worries me a little. When I was looking at settings earlier today it shows how much wifi uses and such but it still shouldn't if it's been on the charger this whole time but taking it off once and it just never went back up at all, not even to 99%.

Oh the tethering app don't have have to have that activated on my phone so it can be used as a mobile hot spot? If so I didn't want to do that just because I have At&t and found out if i were to active that then it would change my entire data plan which is an unlimited one that they no longer offer.
Ugh! missed the stupid black box again! I wish there was different ways to take screen shots dang it!
Anyways, I'll check out that website and those apps you suggested too. Let me know what I should do about the browser and I've never tired the "cold boot" thing so since you said it won't effect my data I'll try that right now.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Just did a "cold boot" and guess what I noticed? The last time I took my tablet and dock off the charger was yesterday for like 30 mins and I knew my dock was down to 96% but I just noticed that my tablet is at 98%! What the heck?! I check to make sure its plugged and docked even though it says it is anyways and I have even used compressed air and blew out all the ports etc so there's nothing really left for m to do on my end so to Best Buy I go tonight or tomorrow to see why I'm just starting to have weird issues with both batteries.
And I just went a head and deleted the Boat Browser to see if it would fix the app problem on here and it did move it down when I did hit enter once but that's it so now it back to have it was. Already tried another "cold boot" and that didn't fix it.
I'm going try charging the tablet separately and see what that does, if anything. I always thought it was odd that the dock didn't even come with it's own charger cord but that's just me I guess.

Oh, this might help explain the black box I'm referring to - When I took my tablet off the dock and plugged the charger directly into the tablet it popped up the black battery box, showing it was plugged in but when it randomly does it when it's docked it has one on top on another, one for the tablet and one for the keyboard. Don't know if maybe that helps or not but you could try plugging your charger directly into the tablet and see if you see the box I'm talking about.

Last edited:

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Tethering: check out PDANet+ in the Playstore. ATT may block your phone to function as a hotspot but you can still tether through USB or Bluetooth (although not all apps recognize the bluetooth connection as being connected to the internet) but I have used PDANet on my phone for years to tether my laptop through USB. No extra plan is needed. No root necessary either!
I have never tried to tether the tablet through USB though... Maybe I give it a shot tonight.

I would be curious if the cold boot changed anything about the black box popping up. So let me know.

I doubt that Boat Browser has anything to do with the cursor jumping in your Android Central app. Does it do that only in Android Central? How about in a word processor or email? Try also to go to Android Central in a browser and check if it does the same thing. It may be that the Android Central app does not play nice with the dock or the TF700 in general.

You know, batteries are made to go through charge/discharge cycles. Maybe you should let the batteries drain to 10%, charge them fully, let them drain again etc. instead of having them plugged in all the time.
Just a thought....