Note 3 battery failing?

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Lately, bout a month now, I've noticed my Note3 battery life has been lower. For the last 18 months or better I could expect 18 - 20 hours on an overnight charge, approx. 30 hours if I was careful.
I have 2 original batteries so lately I've been swapping them out and I'm see the same performance lack on both. I think I've also noticed the battery discharge noticeably heating up the rear of the phone case.
WTF? does this mean the batteries are (both) failing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How's your cell signal? Poor signal can cause battery drain. Also, if you have an SD card inserted, try unmounting it, in case there's a corrupt file on there.

For more info, charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.
I'll study up on those. I have located the graph for #1 but numbers 2 thru 3 I am not familiar with.
You think that feeling the battery heat doesn't mean anything?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
#2 & 3 aren't always available on the native settings, depending on the manufacturer. You can install something like GSam Battery Monitor to get that info.

The battery can overheat for various reasons--poor cell signal (because the phone has to work harder to maintain the signal), a corrupt media file (because the system gets stuck scanning it over and over again when looking for media to add to the various databases), or a rogue app. It's possible that both batteries are defective, but less likely (unless you got them both from the same store, in which case they could have had a bad batch, or they could have been selling poor quality knockoffs).

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
One battery cane with the phone from the AT&T store. The other from Amazon later. I had turned the phone completely off a couple of times in the last month. I usually don't power down overnight, just recharge. Something seems to have been updated in the OS, though I can't point to a specific , there are minor differences here and there. No notice of an update that I can recall. Looking around I saw that the Power Saving option was off and I don't recall resetting that.
I'll try that GSAM Battery Monitor.
Thanks!

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The GSam battery App didn't reveal anything unique or new. Setting Power Saving back to ON helped a lot. And now I've taken to manually turn off the WiFi when I leave the house.
But I'm still feeling the back of the phone warm after just a bit. That does seem new.

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
The older version of Android that the N3 is stuck with has known power consumption bugs that will never be fixed by Samsung, so you just have to make the best of it and turn on the PS mode.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Replaced my USB charging cable and the battery recharge took a leap up (time on the charger dropped).
I knew the phone end of the cable was ... flakey but was surprised by the difference.

chesterdawg

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It has to be a recent ATT or Samsung "update"
My wife & son have been using their Note 3 for several years with different OEM batteries and lately both phones die and/or reboot at ~ 50% so it has to be a recent update no?

I went with the LG V10 earlier this yr since Samsung stopped allowing the user to replace the batteries and went with a sealed phone that now catches fire and gave my Note 3 to my son. My wife can't wait for a fix so I went back to ebay where I purchased my V10 and got a new ATT V10 for about half what ATT wants!!!

Anyway I'd like a fix for my son's otherwise perfect Note 3 and be able to fix & well my wife's.

Thanks

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought an Anker 3200 mAH battery from Amazon. (Was hoping to move up to a 7 but that's not happening.)
Wow.
Battery life is back, phone appears to operate better, and charges as quick as before.

Cajuncootie S

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
I agree it is definitely an update. This is the second time I am experiencing severe battery drain. The first time I tried everything including two new batteries and the only thing that worked was a full factory reset on my phone. I am trying right now to not have to do that again.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Try Clean Master. Install, clear the junque files, 2, 3 times then uninstall (what I did) otherwise it'll pester you with PITA ads.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacoxixon