So how is the GPU?

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm about to leave Sprint for TMobile. I currently have the galaxy s2 on Sprint (epic 4g touch) and generally-speaking I really like it. However, I know that the Tmobile version uses the Snapdragon S3/Adreno chipset instead of the Exynos on all the other S2's.

The performance of the GPU on the other S2's is absolutely beastly with that Mali-400 chip. Does anyone have any direct experience comparing the Tmobile version with others, particularly with gaming?

I've played with a couple of TMobile S2's in stores and I noticed a definite lag navigating around menus that doesn't exist on my Sprint version. That made me a little nervous... Thanks for any info!

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The Mali is going to be faster than the adreno225 found in the T-Mobile galaxy s2. In fact the epic touch 4g should be technically faster than the gpu found in the us Galaxy S3 (which uses a much faster processor...but the gpu included is the old adreno225). I'm not saying its a faster phone...but lb for lb in apples to apples cases where the gpu is tested by itself...the Sgs2 (exynos with mali) should be faster.

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Gaming with the T-Mobile S2 isn't as bad as some make it out to be. With the update to Ice Cream Sandwich, there are new options in the developer menu to force GPU 2D rendering which smoothed out the odd choppy scrolling in the app menus and home screens.

It may not be the best and I do agree that the CDMA variants of the Galaxy S2 are faster for everyday tasks and such.

On the other hand, every game I've run on my T-Mobile Galaxy S2 has run very well with little to nothing in dropped frames on some of the latest games. Modern Combat 3 runs like a charm, N.O.V.A 3 on the other hand was missing some visual effects seen on the same game running on my iPad 2.

All my other games were perfectly smooth. From the basic Bejeweled 2 up to the far more demanding Shadowgun and 9mm HD. Where it really feels the hurt is with Google Earth and full city rendering such as San Francisco etc.

It's not awful by any means, but not the best either.

Hope this helps. :cool:

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
If your swapping carriers and signing a contract...go gs3 instead of 2 for sure

Jacj

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

Androhead27

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It's not trash at all. All the best games run at the highest detail settings with no lag. Dead trigger runs\looks amazing as does NOVA 3 and most other gameloft games. If you have the option for a gs3 take it, but the gs2 is no slouch even up against the Mali in real world applications.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko