Where is phone function on my device??

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I got this new tablet that does use a sim card, and also has a number attached to it as well...my issue is that I can't seem to find the basic phone application to make calls anywhere! I know it can make calls because I downloaded a third party app (2nd Line) and I can make and receive calls through that app on this tablet just fine...why can't I seem to find the phone icon anywhere on this thing?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
How have you attempted to find it? Obviously it seems like it should be there in app drawer like everything else in alphanumeric order but if it's in a folder, especially on Samsung devices it seems, items in folders don't show up in the list. They show up in the folder which is in the list. You could try typing "phone" in the search field at the top of the app drawer and seeing if it shows up. Considering the device is capable of using a SIM card I'd be surprised if it didn't have this app pre-installed. If it doesn't appear with the search method then you'll likely have to install your own app.

Not sure what all 2nd Line does but a simple dialer app/phone app seems like it'd do the trick. Depending on the brand you might actually find your brands default app at the Play Store.

Please register to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave comments and replies.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm a former Verizon representative, tablets are assigned a "phone number" to connect to the data network but aren't provisioned as a phone so no call/text functionality with their given number. To my knowledge this is true of all carriers in the United States and why our tablets don't have phone apps installed.

2nd line is an app relying on the data connection, it would actually work on a wifi only tablet, thats why it allows you to call/text with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex-1999