Verizon brand screen protector

Jellyman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone purchase a screen protector from Verizon? I am wondering if the protector will cover the entire screen or not. From the picture on the web, it looks like it will only cover the screen area. If that's the case, does anybody know if there are custom protectors available for the Fascinate? I spoke to Skinomi, and they will not have one available until next week or so.

Lastly, does the gorilla glass need protector at all?

tdosthp

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon screen protectors I have bought in the past have only covered the "usable" part of the screen. This has been the case for both storms, the incredible and X.

ozzzy3z

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Verizon screen protectors produce a terrible rainbow effect. I would not recommend one - especially for such a beautiful display. I had one on my X for 3 days and took it off. I ended up with the Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector and cannot even tell its on.

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Going Naked

I had multiple screen protectors on my Storm for the first year and hated them. I ran out and said hell with it and went naked for the second year. Screen looked better and no damage, I'm going naked from the get go (today).

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I can see a case for the body, but the screen is gorilla glass.. Unless you're going at it on purpose, with a drill, you probably aren't going to scratch the screen.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Lastly, does the gorilla glass need protector at all?

Gorilla Glass is advertised as being scratch resistant. It should survive contact with keys, coins, and even razor blades without being scratched. However, even Gorilla Glass, can still be scratched by abrasive materials such as sand or tungsten carbide. It would not be uncommon for something abrasive (like a spec of sand) to come in contact with a cleaning cloth, or a piece of jewelery made from tungsten carbide, and it turn come into contact with your Fascinates screen. So, if you want to be certain to not scratch your screen, you will want to use a screen protector.

I personally dislike screen protectors, so I will take my chances. I buy the Klear Screen cleaning clothes and cut then into small squares and throw them away frequently. I don't put my Fascinate in my pocket without putting it in a sunglass bag first. This strategy has left me scratch free.

evilhunter101

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon brand screen protector only covers the screen itself not the entire front face. And it also does produce the rainbow effect as someone else noted.

I am using one until a better alternative is released for consumers because I've seen first hand that Gorilla glass marketing is over-hyped. My gf's iPhone4 has a ton of scratches on it and she's only had it for 3 weeks. Note that this second paragraph is pure opinion and only based on my experiences.

j32driver

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I ended up with the Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector and cannot even tell its on.

Maybe I'm blind or dumb (probably both), but can anyone post a link to the Steinheil Ultra Crystal for the Fascinate. I've found it for all the other Galaxy S phones, just not the Fascinate. I don't know... do the others fit the Fascinate, or is it "full frontal" that the button arrangement requires a different design for each Galaxy S?

thetaylor310

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
There's another alternative out there called the Realook and it looks pretty cool. From what i can tell, it looks like it covers all the way to the four buttons at the bottom

i placed an order for one today and i'll give my personal review once i install it and use it. It's not like those ZAGG-type protectors where it's the military grade stuff, but it apparently feels more "solid" or "plastic" like? But it seems like other users have been raving about it

Here's the link for the Realook protector (for Fascinate no less!)
Amazon.com: REALOOK Verizon Samsung Fascinate Crystal Clear Premium LCD Screen Protector 2 Pack: Cell Phones & Service

redboneqt

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
screen protector

I purchased the pack of 3 and kind of like the look of the screen. It's not a shiny protector, it's more of a matte finish. I'm so programmed to buy the protector, buy the protector, that I did. So far, it's ok.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the pack of 3 and kind of like the look of the screen. It's not a shiny protector, it's more of a matte finish. I'm so programmed to buy the protector, buy the protector, that I did. So far, it's ok.

The matte look was what I did not like. It takes away the beautiful glossy look and add s a rainbow effect that is pretty annoying for me.

quarky42

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Verizon Brand protector for about $10 for a pack of three. This is comparable to eBay. This particular protector does not have a rainbow effect and seems to work well so far. The screen is still very clear and readable. The rest of the face has not been scratched yet by being in my pocket. I don't mind scratches on the black area, but scratches on a screen would drive me nuts.

So in the end: If you can get the Verizon brand ones cheap enough, then go for it. A protector may not be required for this phone, but I like having that extra layer of protection just in case.

kvaughan#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Guess I should have read this before I bought the Verizon ones. I was extremely disappointed to find out they don't cover the whole screen. So now I guess I'm going to check out those Realook protectors now...

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I was very unhappy with Verizon's screen protector and thought it was a complete waste of money at 14.99 for a pk of 3. I took mine off 2 minutes after I put it on as it completely diminishes the high quality screen of the Fascinate. Don't waste your money!! (at least on the Verizon brand) like others have noted....it has a "matte" finish to it that dulls the screen.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you get the "anti glare" version? Because that would certainly have more of a matte finish. I had the Verizon branded screen protector on my phone and it didn't diminish the screen quality at all...

coltsbr

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I got the ones at Verizon to use till I can find some that cover the entire screen. And verizon does have some that do cover the whole screen if tiy want pink or silver glitter abround the edge. I ordered some off of Ebay that should be here this week that cover the whole thing. We will see how they work.

king_of_fools

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I got a vzw screen protector, 14 bucks for a 3 pack, and well worth it, not discolored, didn't produce any rainbows .... covers the screen not the front face of the phone, and that works perfectly fine.

K
O
f

ryan301.storm

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
it only protects the screen i have on and im going to take it off and get invisible shield which will cover the entire face and to me its the best phone protector iv ever used.