My Contract is up in a week, Stay with Verizon or go to AT&T?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
My contract is up next month and I've talked to Verizon and AT&T. I've been with Verizon for 7 years, left TMobile because of dropped calls. I don't know if I trust that TMobile has any Better Coverage since then. From talking with People, not good experience in our NW Suburbs of Chicago area. Sprint is horrible, have friends with it and drop calls all the time. AT&T is ranked number 2 in my area for best coverage, Verizon being first.

After talking to reps on both Carriers about Maybe leaving Verizon here is what I was offered. If I bring my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, which I really want to Keep, AT&T will give me Unlimited Talk & Text, 2 gb data, and the ability to use Mobile Hotspot, for $65 a month.

On Verizon, I currently have 500mb plan, unlimited talk and text, and Mobile hotspot at $70. The rep at a store, moved me to Unlimited talk and text, 1gb data, Mobile Hotspot, for $60. I then talked on the phone with a different rep, about when is the best day to leave Verizon, the last of the billing cycle or first day of new cycle. She said the first day, because my contract isn't up until midnight on the first day of the new billing cycle. She asked why I was leaving and I explained, I need to stream radio now, since I can't get a station I listen to on my car radio anymore and I need more data and trying to save money on my cell phone bill. Plus, I didn't tell her, but kind of fed up with Verizon. Always last with updates, and even though great coverage, paying more. As you see AT&T will give for $5 more, twice the Data. I've never been a heavy data user and use wifi when available. With Verizon it's $15 more for 2gb. If I don't need that much I can always go down in the data I need which is still cheaper on AT&T, $50 for 1gb.

The Phone rep told me about the Loyalty Plan and it's not on the website, just something I've read about on the forum here, because they want to try to keep me. She offered 2gb of data, with unlimited talk and text, but NO mobile hotspot, for $60.

So here is my dilemma :

Stay with Verizon for unlimited talk and text, 2gb data, and No mobile Hotspot?
Or
Go to AT&T and try my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 which I know I might have to root or just change the APN, not sure if I can get 4gLTE, unlimited talk and text, 2gb data, and Mobile Hotspot?

I don't want to do a contract anymore, I'm happy with my Note 2 until the Note 4 comes out. I'm even thinking of Trying Cricket or Straight talk. I don't use Mobile Hotspot as much as I use to, but do occasionally with my Note 8. It's nice to have the ability to do it if I want to. I guess as I read someone else say on the forum, it's a case of the grass is greener. I'd like to try another service and because of the radio streaming, don't want to Pay a lot for more data and still save money.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts who's been in this situation leaving Verizon for AT&T. I'm in the Chicago NW Suburbs.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Any chance you'd be able to swing a prepaid first month trial. Obviously you'd need a compatible phone. I wouldn't just jump into it on a two year deal without trialing it first. You could also use the two week grace period and not port out your number till your sure. In two weeks you'd probably be able to make a more informed decision. I thought of doing the same and found the coverage to be lesser enough to make the difference. I stuck with Verizon. Good luck.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well it sounds like you switch... I am basing this on...

1 - you want to save money.. AT&T is giving you more bang for the buck

2 - you want hotspot and AT&T includes that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
As I said, I'm not looking to do contracts anymore. I'm doing the month to month for awhile. I can stay with Verizon and do month to month after my contract is up. The Plan with AT&T I would get Month to Month if I bring my own device. I've seen threads on here showing how to get set up with go phone or AT&T on my Verizon Galaxy Note 2. The first rep I talked with at an AT&T store, said Oh yeah, just put our sim card in and it should work. I called a Rep on the phone and she said a Verizon phone will not work on AT&T, Because of it being CDMA and Not GSM. Figures I would get two different answers, thus why I called. LOL

The Galaxy Note 2 is a World Phone and has a GSM radio in it from what I've read. So just changing things on my phone, not sure if rooted or not, should get it to work. Just not sure if 4g or 4gLTE will work. I've read the HSPA+ is fast enough to do things with. Not sure If I need Verizon to Unlock the phone or not.

Any company I choose, I'm going to go month to month. Whenever the Galaxy Note 4 comes out and If I like it enough, then I'll think about a contract or just a plan like Next or the Edge Plan with Verizon. If I don't like AT&T, I'll most likely go back to Verizon. I don't get that impressive speeds on Data on Verizon. Today I averaged 13mps Download and 6 mps upload on speed tests and sometimes only 6mps download, 5mps Upload. I keep seeing these people reporting at least 40mps download speeds and even much higher, in Chicago where I'm in a close suburb.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well it sounds like you switch... I am basing this on...

1 - you want to save money.. AT&T is giving you more bang for the buck

2 - you want hotspot and AT&T includes that.

That's what I'm leaning towards to try out for a month at least. Just hoping I can get my phone to work with it. As I just posted above, not really getting Great Speeds from Verizon, so even though I know I get 4gLTE on my phone, not impressed, because people are showing speeds of at least 4 times more than I'm getting.

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently waiting out my husbands contract, we are currently on a verizon family plan, have had verizon for 15 years..I'm tired of paying so much. So moving to prepaid service.
Moved my sons 'dumb' phone to Page Plus Wireless, they use verizon networks, which we've had good service with. So far his service has been great, using, of course, the exact same phone.
We are working through a page plus reseller called Kitty Wireless, terrible looking website, but they've been very responsive and helpful.
Once my husbands phone is out of contract next month we will be switching, I'm anticipating a savings overall for our family in excess of 125$ a month..

On the Speed issue, We've currently got 4g on verizon service, but I don't see it being much faster than the 3g we had a couple years ago..the reason I mention this is that I understand that Page Plus only has ability to provide 3g. For us no big deal. On hotspots, I understand, Page Plus doesn't 'allow' it on their service, however on the Kitty Wireless forums there is lots of talk about what apps to use to get around this if you need to, it's your data you can use it as you like.
My 2 cents :)

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Kaloa, yes i agree with your statement that it's my data and I should be able to use it as i want. As long as I don't go over what I'm paying for. How I use it, I think is up to me. I never come near what I pay for now, but that may change in the near future.

I've used Foxfi in the past, before android update 4.3 and got it to work this month once on 4.4.2 kit kat. I'm just not sure if Verizon knows when I use it or not. I don't want to have any charges for using it if I stay with them with the Loyalty Plan. Basically, what Verizon offered me is easier and I would be paying $10 less than I pay now, twice what they originally offered me for data at the same price, and no messing with my phone to get it to work. I can't remember why I can't do Verizon Pre paid, but I did ask that. Just wasn't an option. That's why it's so hard for me to decide. I don't like some of Verizon's practices and like you tired of Paying more. So if I can get my phone on another service Month to Month, it will not hurt to try. I know even TMobile has a test drive with The iPhone 5s, I love what Tmobile is offering for it's customers, just don't have great service out here.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As I said, I'm not looking to do contracts anymore. I'm doing the month to month for awhile. I can stay with Verizon and do month to month after my contract is up. The Plan with AT&T I would get Month to Month if I bring my own device. I've seen threads on here showing how to get set up with go phone or AT&T on my Verizon Galaxy Note 2. The first rep I talked with at an AT&T store, said Oh yeah, just put our sim card in and it should work. I called a Rep on the phone and she said a Verizon phone will not work on AT&T, Because of it being CDMA and Not GSM. Figures I would get two different answers, thus why I called. LOL

The Galaxy Note 2 is a World Phone and has a GSM radio in it from what I've read. So just changing things on my phone, not sure if rooted or not, should get it to work. Just not sure if 4g or 4gLTE will work. I've read the HSPA+ is fast enough to do things with. Not sure If I need Verizon to Unlock the phone or not.

Any company I choose, I'm going to go month to month. Whenever the Galaxy Note 4 comes out and If I like it enough, then I'll think about a contract or just a plan like Next or the Edge Plan with Verizon. If I don't like AT&T, I'll most likely go back to Verizon. I don't get that impressive speeds on Data on Verizon. Today I averaged 13mps Download and 6 mps upload on speed tests and sometimes only 6mps download, 5mps Upload. I keep seeing these people reporting at least 40mps download speeds and even much higher, in Chicago where I'm in a close suburb.

The phone is factory sim unlocked. You would need the latest update which unlocked the apn editing. This is so you can enter att apn for data.

You won't get 4glte, but I believe that you should get 4g/hspa+.

Someone reported 142mbps ar Chicago airport recently. But speed can vary greatly depending on a variety of factors.

Mms might not work, but sms should work.
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, dpham00. I'm actually about a mile outside of O'hare airport and not getting anywhere near those speeds on Verizon.
What update am I looking for, I just received Kit Kat 4.4.2 build number KOT49H.I605VRUFND7. Is that the update I need. I see the only thing I can change is the APN, under edit access point. I'm guessing if I get the AT&T sim it should work to change it, right now it just says VZWINTERNET and everything else on the menu is greyed out. New to this, so not sure. Thanks though for the help so far.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, dpham00. I'm actually about a mile outside of O'hare airport and not getting anywhere near those speeds on Verizon.
What update am I looking for, I just received Kit Kat 4.4.2 build number KOT49H.I605VRUFND7. Is that the update I need. I see the only thing I can change is the APN, under edit access point. I'm guessing if I get the AT&T sim it should work to change it, right now it just says VZWINTERNET and everything else on the menu is greyed out. New to this, so not sure. Thanks though for the help so far.

You would need a non verizon sim to change the apn. Not sure about the latest update number, but so long as it shows no new updates then you should be ok. And if you are on 4.4.2,definitely ok

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Have you looked into Straight Talk.... No contract and you can pick your provider unlimited Talk Text and 2.5 GB of data for $45 +tax. You might also be able to take your phone with you.

Tracfone: BYOP

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I was looking into Straight Talk also, but I want to see if I can get Google Wallet to work if I switch To AT&T. I know I asked a couple of brilliant (Sarcasm here) People at Walmart about Straight Talk. They didn't even know Verizon Phones had Sim Cards, let alone that you need a special NFC Sim for Google Wallet to work with Tap and Pay. So If it doesn't work on AT&T, then I guess I just lose that ability and may consider another carrier if I can get a good deal and AT&T happens to stink in my area.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I might have a problem switching to AT&T after all. I found online after doing some research, that people that moved their Verizon Galaxy Note 2 to AT&T, even though it works on the network, they can't get GPS to work on it. Someone said to try Waze or another GPS app, but am going to need my phone to have as my GPS.

Anyone have success getting their Verizon Galaxy Note 2 or another Verizon phone on AT&T's network to work with GPS? Need to know, because it could be a deal breaker for going over to AT&T or even carriers like Straight Talk or Cricket. Thanks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I might have a problem switching to AT&T after all. I found online after doing some research, that people that moved their Verizon Galaxy Note 2 to AT&T, even though it works on the network, they can't get GPS to work on it. Someone said to try Waze or another GPS app, but am going to need my phone to have as my GPS.

Anyone have success getting their Verizon Galaxy Note 2 or another Verizon phone on AT&T's network to work with GPS? Need to know, because it could be a deal breaker for going over to AT&T or even carriers like Straight Talk or Cricket. Thanks.

Well depending on which one... Straight talk can be any of the major networks. Cricket is basically AT&T just under a different name so if it wouldn't work on AT&T it most likely will have the same issue on cricket.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So I went to AT&T today and got a Sim Card from them for my Verizon Note 2 . After talking awhile with the Girl, she talked to me about getting a Temporary Number to try the network. I have only until tomorrow for the Billing to end on AT&T and Until Friday for my Verizon Contract to be up and I can go to AT&T if I want to port my number. I went with the unlimited talk and text, 1gb of Data for $50, because the prepaid plan didn't have the Mobile Hotspot option.

So Far I'm getting the talk and text (MMS works with Pics and Video, Data Works (getting 3g,H, and H+ speeds), and the GPS even worked. So I'm Happy with that pretty much. Only problem is, the 1st tech guy got everything set up on my phone. The second tech guy couldn't get the Mobile Hotspot to work with any apps. Either can I so far. That's the only thing AT&T had over the Verizon Loyalty Plan I was offered from Verizon. Here are the screens of the error messages I'm getting when I try to enable Mobile Hotspot on my phone. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

If I can't get this to work, I might as well stick with Verizon for their offer of the Loyalty Plan for 2gb, unlimited Talk and text, no Mobile Hotspot for $5 less than AT&T for Month to month since I'll be off contract. I can always go to AT&T when the Galaxy Note 4 comes out. I really want to leave Verizon, but the Mobile hotspot was the only plus for AT&T for right now.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
yep, the guys at at&t tried different apps and so did I when I got home. Foxfi, different apps for mobile hot spot, even pdanet with foxfi on phone, and some hotspot toggles, but not even bluetooth works.

I'm getting different input from both Verizon and AT&T. I'm probably going to wait until I port my number on Thursday to AT&T to see if it works. The guy at AT&T says even though the Verizon Note 2 is Sim unlocked, you have to unlock the phone from the carrier, which he says AT&T does after the contract is up. When I asked Verizon, they said it's Sim unlocked, but never heard of the unlocking of the phone from the carrier. The AT&T guy noticed something I have also, that my mobile data speed is all over the place, switching from 3g to H to Hspa+, never really locking onto a speed. Which I noticed at home myself. He said that could be because the phone is not unlocked from the carrier also. He says Verizon is giving me the run around, which I'm starting to believe. So pissed at Verizon, that's why I want to leave.

Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, because even though the mobile hotspot is not that great of a deciding factor, if I stay with Verizon and get the Loyalty plan, I'm getting more date for a cheaper price than AT&T for 2gb, plus Verizon has the 4gLTE . If I change to prepaid, I get a $40 fee for changing from the postpaid that the girl talked me into for the Mobile Hotspot at AT&T, which isn't working. Kind of pissed about that also. Right now, thinking of just sticking with AT&T for the 1gb, unlimited talk and text, and mobile hotspot for $50. I'll stick with that for a couple of months or so.

Does anyone know if the part about getting a phone carrier unlocked is possible? According to the guy at AT&T says they do it after their customer's contract is up, because of a law that was passed recently. Not sure who's bs'ing who.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just googled it and It is true what the guy at AT&T said. After your contract is up, you can ask to have the phone carrier Unlocked, due to a law passed in december 2013. Here is a link stating it:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2F29%2Funlock-phone-carrier%2F&token=TdLbPdD0

So of course from the link, Verizon is more difficult to get Carrier Unlocked with. It says it should be done in no more than 2 business days, so I'm definitely going to stick with AT&T, just because of all the Bull**** dealing with Verizon. Not worth the aggravation even for their Loyalty plan they are offering. I'll take the slower speeds on AT&T and when the Note 4 comes out, I'll see what my options are. Most everything is working on my phone except the Mobile hotspot, which will be fixed if I get the Note 4 or if not, not a big deal to me.

I appreciate the help everyone has given me, if anyone can come up with an answer for the mobile hotspot problem on AT&T it would be appreciated, but if not, it's okay. I hope my experience with dealing with Verizon and At&t will help someone else decide that is thinking of Leaving Verizon. At&t was very helpful for the most part and even their customer service was very helpful, even though couldn't fix the hotspot problem.