Shrinking Hard Drive or Expanding Programs?

ksgarvin

May 18, 2011
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I kept getting a low disc space error message on my Droid (the original). I have already moved everything I can to the SD card with App 2 SD Pro and I haven't loaded any new software to the internal hard drive, but I still had to delete a program to free up space. :'(

Two days ago I started getting the message again, and I haven't installed anything. But I think several system programs have updated and gotten bigger. I've had to take off more programs to free space.

Is this normal, or is there a problem? I've cleared up any caches that I can get to without rooting the phone, but I'm starting to think I need to do that. I never use the Facebook app and it eats a lot of space, but I can't delete it without rooting.

Any suggestions?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
How many apps do you have installed? You might just have too many.

Is there anything else on the phone that could be taking up a lot of space, like, music or videos?

Have you gone into your browser and looked for an option within it to clear out cache? I would think this would do the same thing as clearing it from Manage Apps, but, I'm not really sure, just a thought.

You can't uninstall FB? It came on your phone? That's strange, I had to download the app. Are you sure you can't remove it?

ksgarvin

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Devinator. I can't uninstall Facebook without rooting the phone. :( I've tried. I cleared out the FB cache and uninstalled the latest FB update and the error message went away. But now it's back.

I just cleared the browser data (12 MB) and the error is gone. I don't keep music on my phone and I only have about 6 photos on it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If your texting app isn't set to auto delete texts after a certain limit, you may want to do that. I had the same thing happen where I wasn't installing anything and clearing caches left and right and still lost space. You'd be surprised how much space texts can take up over time, especially if they have pics in them. I gained about 50 MB the first time I did that. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress