phone shut off in the middle of 6.0 update due to battery issue. IS THAT BAD??

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I found my phone and it was off, which is common because it randomly dies due to the known battery issues. However, when I turned it back on, it went through the "Android is Optimizing App 1 of 149" sequence... Which tells me it tried to update the OS?

But when I look in About Phone it still says I'm on 5.1.1 and when I check for updates it says I'm up to date!??

So I'm assuming it died part way through an OS update (I didn't tell it to do BTW, but that's in my other thread)... IS THAT BAD??? it's alive and OK right now but I'm wondering if there are any lurking issues that I need to keep my eye out for??

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The "Android is Optimizing" message isn't necessarily a sign you got an update.... just that something triggered it to rebuild the runtime cache.

Why are you still on 5.1.1 by the way? If you haven't got the OTA to 6 by now, you might be in the update blackhole... and you'll have to manually update with a factory image. The process is a lot easier than it sounds, we can certainly point you to how to do it.

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I hate updating my OS as it eventually bogs my phone down and after a couple updates, I have to get a new phone. My shxt works the way it is, i kind of like to let a sleeping bear lie, ya know? Are there any speed or compatibility issues people have noticed with 6.0?

And what do you mean by black hole? Am i now waiting for OS 7.0 update, 6.0 has passed me by? Is that why it's not showing up when I check for updates?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
By black hole I mean... if you were going to get the OTA for your Nexus 6 - which has been available since shortly after 6.0 was released last October - I think you would have received it by now. That its not there, that's odd. Do you have a carrier-purchased version? If so, there might be some tricks to try to force an OTA.... I think it is a simple matter of powering it down, popping out the SIM, powering it back up (on WiFi of course) and checking. It might require a factory reset in the middle there... not sure. Maybe someone who ran into this can elaborate... I'll actually edit your topic, might get more attention.

But if you haven't received the 6.0 OTA by now, you might not get a sniff at the 7.0 one either.

Can you post a screenshot from your About Phone page? That'll tell me how stale your phone is.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I hate updating my OS as it eventually bogs my phone down and after a couple updates, I have to get a new phone.

That's why I usually stick with Nexus devices... until they drop from official support, phones are actually kept up to date by Google... unlike most OEMs, the big G doesn't forget a phone exists once a new version drops. 6.0.1 runs great on the Nexus 6.

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I did see 6.0 OTA update for a while, just never did it. Now that i look today it's gone. Any idea how I can get it back?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Search this forum, or start a new topic. I'm sure there are some here that went through the same thing and got around it. I'm not the best authority on Nexus OTAs... I haven't taken one on a Nexus device since... Oh... Jan of 2014

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress