Who's buying the Pixel mostly for the stock Android experience and fast updates?

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Re-posting due to edit...

Primary reason for me is that Google is the only oem on Android that's taking privacy and security seriously. That is definitely connected to updates as well, but there's more to it.
Does the Pixel (or will the Pixel 2) have a built-in option to wipe the device after a specified number of failed password attempts? That's one feature I miss having. BlackBerry has this in their KEYone/Priv/DTEK models but I'd like to know if anyone else offers it in a 2017 model. Samsung might have it via Knox but I'd prefer something closer to stock... like a Pixel or Essential. Essential doesn't have it since they're running 99% bare Android.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re-posting due to edit...

Does the Pixel (or will the Pixel 2) have a built-in option to wipe the device after a specified number of failed password attempts? That's one feature I miss having. BlackBerry has this in their KEYone/Priv/DTEK models but I'd like to know if anyone else offers it in a 2017 model. Samsung might have it via Knox but I'd prefer something closer to stock... like a Pixel or Essential. Essential doesn't have it since they're running 99% bare Android.

As far as I can tell that option is not in the Pixel 2 XL or last gen Pixels.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's my reason! Haven't made my decision yet, but I'm leaning towards the new pixel for the fast, consistent updates and pure os. Never owned a nexus or pixel but always wanted one and am tired of wondering how long my phones will be supported with updates and waiting forever for my carrier to push os and security updates. The price is making it harder to pull the trigger though.

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
I am! I love HTC, but I have a 75 inch Sony 4K tv running Android and I want a pure Android phone to work seamlessly with it. My HTC 10 started randomly disconnecting from my tv while casting from YouTube on my phone. Started happening right after an update from HTC/Verizon.

Bottom line, I want to try a pure Android experience and receive timely updates.

I have a friend who buys nothing but Apple products. He was surprised my phone has USB-C. I was like yeah, every manufacturer signed an agreement years ago saying they would all use the same type of ports to limit charger and cable waste. Everyone signed on but Apple. I told him Samsung waited until this year to go with USB-C. HTC had it incorporated last year.

Why doesn't people who buy Apple products know we have had quick chargers at home and in our cars for years? I mention this and they shut up about Qi charging.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I am. Love HTC, but I have a 75 inch Sony 4K tv running Android and I want a pure Android phone to work seamlessly with it. HTC10 started randomly disconnecting from tv while casting. Starting happening right after an update from HTC/Verizon.

Bottom line, I want to try a pure Android experience and receive timely updates.

I have a friend who buys nothing but Apple products. He was surprised my phone has USB-C. I was like yeah, every manufacturer signed an agreement years ago saying they would all use the same type of ports to limit charger and cable waste. Everyone signed on but Apple. I told him Samsung waited until this year to go with USB-C. HTC had it incorporated last year.

Why doesn't people who buy Apple products know we have had quick chargers at home and in our cars for years? I mention this and they shut up about Qi charging.

Nice Screen Name... Bet I can guess what you're buying.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm a bit different.

My next phone will be the Pixel (probably the 3 though) because:
- Samsung is driving me away with silly curved screen and features I don't need
- I'm in with Google, I see no reason to share or ask to be shared with another company (Samsung)
- I use a launcher on my S7 so other than the Samsung browser which I like better than Chrome, I don't use the features.
- Stock Android
- Updates lower on the list

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly the reason I'm likely going for it.

Tired of receiving two security updates a year.

I wasn't big on updates just a short while ago, however I've changed my tune because of listening to everyone else complain and when suddenly said to myself... It doesn't have to be that way. The closest thing to Apple updates is Google and its just got to get even better with each generation because they have acquired an entire design team. It's not the only reason to get a phone but it's moved up a bit on my list of priorities.

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
I wasn't big on updates just a short while ago, however I've changed my tune because of listening to everyone else complain and when suddenly said to myself... It doesn't have to be that way. The closest thing to Apple updates is Google and its just got to get even better with each generation because they have acquired an entire design team. It's not the only reason to get a phone but it's moved up a bit on my list of priorities.

That design team needs to make the back of the phone look far better.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I ended up going with the Pixel after having a Note 5 and an S7 edge because of the fast updates, the more pure Android experience and the camera. I came from iPhones. I started with the iPhone 3gs and had every one since then all the way up to the 6s. The Note 5 was my first Android phone and I liked the customization android allowed you to have and ended up sticking with it. However I quickly realized when it came time for a new OS version to be released that I missed Apples update process for their phones. So when google announced the Pixel it seemed like the perfect phone and the closest to the Apple experience you could get on Android while also having all the benefits of the Android OS. I also like how I have had my Pixel XL since April now and the phone still runs just as quick as day one. Where as on my Samsung phones they all seemed to develop a lag over time.

All that being said I like my Pixel XL so much that I don't know if I will end up getting a Pixel XL 2 or end up waiting for the Pixel XL 3? If I do wait this will be the first phone in about 7-8 years that I have kept for more than a year.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I ended up going with the Pixel after having a Note 5 and an S7 edge because of the fast updates, the more pure Android experience and the camera. I came from iPhones. I started with the iPhone 3gs and had every one since then all the way up to the 6s. The Note 5 was my first Android phone and I liked the customization android allowed you to have and ended up sticking with it. However I quickly realized when it came time for a new OS version to be released that I missed Apples update process for their phones. So when google announced the Pixel it seemed like the perfect phone and the closest to the Apple experience you could get on Android while also having all the benefits of the Android OS. I also like how I have had my Pixel XL since April now and the phone still runs just as quick as day one. Where as on my Samsung phones they all seemed to develop a lag over time.

All that being said I like my Pixel XL so much that I don't know if I will end up getting a Pixel XL 2 or end up waiting for the Pixel XL 3? If I do wait this will be the first phone in about 7-8 years that I have kept for more than a year.

It's good to hear that you're a happy camper.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ever since Ice cream sandwich, I've been on the stock Android side. I'll admit I'm tempted to get the Note 8 but Pure Google experience and fast updates is a large part on why I purchase from Google. Now you add great camera and better hardware, it just doesn't get any better.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Pure Android is the only option for me. I've had skinned LG's and other phones which were ugly, and having double apps is stupid. At worst I would go with a Motorola which are not pure. They do mess up the settings menu somewhat. Either pixel or Motorola are the only options for me. It would be a small disappointment to have to go with the Motorola. That being said I will sit out the pixel 2 and wait for the three to come out I want to get at least two years out of my first generation XL.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Mike Dee: "What I'm wondering is, does the fact that it offers a pure Android experience and fast updates make it the major motivator in your decision to buy it? "

That's the major reason I have the Pixel but, of course, the fact that it's an excellent phone with minimal bloat is a factor, too. It helps that while some people have nothing but problems with Pixels, with Android 8, and with life in general I don't. Everything works for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Mike Dee: "What I'm wondering is, does the fact that it offers a pure Android experience and fast updates make it the major motivator in your decision to buy it? "

That's the major reason I have the Pixel but, of course, the fact that it's an excellent phone with minimal bloat is a factor, too. It helps that while some people have nothing but problems with Pixels, with Android 8, and with life in general I don't. Everything works for me.

Without a doubt it's also an excellent phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If I bought a Pixel, it would be for the following;
  • Fast timely updates both for the OS and security patches in a consistent manner. Only Blackberry and Nokia so far can compete with the latter. Samsung is better than last time but they’re less consistent. Everyone else needs to step it up.
  • HDR+ computational photography. Arguably one of the very best forms of automatic post-processing and I would be interested to see how it can evolve.