Trade-in program / shipping envelope

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I just got in the Trade-In kit in which to send back my Pixel XL...

The packing envelope they provide to send the phone back in is barely larger than the phone and has almost no padding whatsoever (pic below with my case to show scale).

IMG_20171010_123055.jpg

My phone is in pristine condition, but with that poor protection and being handled by USPS, I'm very fearful that my phone will arrive with a cracked screen, dropping 100's off the value they would quote - and leaving me with no real recourse but to take it back cracked or accept a minimal offer.

Anyone know if the label they provide can be put on a small shipping box, or at least a more heavily padded envelope?

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I'll be leaving it in the case with the screen protector, and reinforcing the phone one way or another beyond the envelope.

Probably a corporate decision so they will be able to claim a cracked screen and reject the trade.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree; this is totally weird.

What does Google plan to do with these phones? It seems that a significant percentage of them may arrive damaged..

I plan to take a number of pictures of my phone before shipping it (sit it on top of "today's" New York Times print edition perhaps) to provide some small evidence that the phone was in perfect condition at the time I packed it in that flimsy envelope.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Anyone know if the label they provide can be put on a small shipping box, or at least a more heavily padded envelope?
As long as the label doesn't specify "envelope" or a weight significantly different than what you end up sending, it should still work. Save detailed photos of the device you're sending and the updated packaging once you've repacked it so you have visual evidence of the improvement in case Google still claims a cracked screen or other damage.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
You need to tweet this out so that they get some flak for this flimsy shipping package!
When I did my trade in with TMO last year, they just sent me a label and I applied it to a box in which I bubble wrapped the heck out of the phone before shipping it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering what Google planned to do with these traded-in phones. Sell them? Use them as warranty replacements?

Based on the flimsy packaging, I now think they plan to give the ones that survive out as freebies to employees or donate them to groups such as Women Against Abuse (Donate Your Used Cell Phone | Women Against Abuse). The ones that don't survive will go into the electronics recycling bin.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
They'll sell them to some random 3rd party, who will sell them to some random people at steep discounts, who will list them on swappa as Refurbished devices.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
They'll sell them to some random 3rd party, who will sell them to some random people at steep discounts, who will list them on swappa as Refurbished devices.

There's a 3rd party that Google is actually contracted with to acquire the devices - at least the non-Google ones. If they're picking up the Pixels as well, I suspect the value being given on those trade-ins is being partially subsidized by Google to maintain the appearance that the residual value is higher, or to encourage direct upgrades, as no 3rd party would give more for a Pixel XL than an iPhone 7+...

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I called and they opened up a support ticket and sent me an email to send them photos of my phone before I sent it in.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't received my trade in envelope. I couldn't really tell that they understood that I was doing a trade in. I picked trade in, then the phone I bought , and paid for it. nothing else.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
After I got mine, I decoded to not send. Once they send my phone, I will email them to let them know that.

I would just as soon sell on Swappa, or locally before that.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't received my trade in envelope. I couldn't really tell that they understood that I was doing a trade in. I picked trade in, then the phone I bought , and paid for it. nothing else.

Check your order online; it should show two "line items" one for the phone and one for the trade in kit.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I haven't received my trade in envelope.
I haven't gotten mine yet either, even though I ordered on the 4th. According to USPS tracking, they've only received an intent to ship communication from the sender, no actual package.

Course, along the same lines, I just found out from Amazon that the screen protector I ordered for my 2XL has shipped, and it's only going to take 12-14 days to get to me. All the way from Pennsylvania... to Indiana. :confused:

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gotten mine yet either, even though I ordered on the 4th. According to USPS tracking, they've only received an intent to ship communication from the sender, no actual package.

Course, along the same lines, I just found out from Amazon that the screen protector I ordered for my 2XL has shipped, and it's only going to take 12-14 days to get to me. All the way from Pennsylvania... to Indiana. :confused:

I just received my trade in envelope today. I also ordered on October 4th.