Seems like more folks are "meh" for Pixel 4 than excited?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Seems like more folks are "meh" for Pixel 4 than excited?

Another article that sums up a lot of what we've been criticizing Google about.

The Google Pixel 4 is the worst value phone in 2019
https://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Google-Pixel-4-is-the-worst-value-phone-in-2019_id119705
It's such a shame that they could have changed the entire narrative with wide angle camera and a 128gb base storage. Hit it out of the park and cut prices by $100 and you have a winner on their hands.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It's such a shame that they could have changed the entire narrative with wide angle camera and a 128gb base storage. Hit it out of the park and cut prices by $100 and you have a winner on their hands.

Even if they kept it at the same prices as last year, that would've been fine if they:

1) Had a larger battery. It doesn't have to be Note 10-size large. Just something more capable of powering the 90Hz screen -- a key new feature -- further.

2) Offer 128GB/256GB options and/or didn't drop the unlimited original quality photo backups -- why oh why did they remove a key selling point of the previous Pixels?

3) Lastly, offer way better trade-in value for previous generation Pixel 3 owners. Not only did they unintentionally screw early adopters when the Pixel 3 launched with early price drops, but are now screwing their own loyal customers at the other end, too? It's just silly.

Even if they left out the wide-angled lens this year, if they had hit those three points, I would have been fine with the same price point.

I'm most concerned about battery life. I sincerely fear this will be the Pixel 4's "RAM issue" this year. They shouldn't have skimped out on the batt. size. Apple added 5+ hours of battery life to their flagship phone, and here you have Google looking like they could actually backpedal on the Pixel 3's already average battery life.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Even if they kept it at the same prices as last year, that would've been fine if they:

1) Had a larger battery. It doesn't have to be Note 10-size large. Just something more capable of powering the 90Hz screen -- a key new feature -- further.

2) Offer 128GB/256GB options and/or didn't drop the unlimited original quality photo backups -- why oh why did they remove a key selling point of the previous Pixels?

3) Lastly, offer way better trade-in value for previous generation Pixel 3 owners. Not only did they unintentionally screw early adopters when the Pixel 3 launched with early price drops, but are now screwing their own loyal customers at the other end, too? It's just silly.

Even if they left out the wide-angled lens this year, if they had hit those three points, I would have been fine with the same price point.

I'm most concerned about battery life. I sincerely fear this will be the Pixel 4's "RAM issue" this year. They shouldn't have skimped out on the batt. size. Apple added 5+ hours of battery life to their flagship phone, and here you have Google looking like they could actually backpedal on the Pixel 3's already average battery life.
Hahaha that trade in price for pixel 3s. WHAT A JOKE.

SARCtech

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
I was actually considering getting the 64 GB version and the 1TB of storage from Google One

It's a good idea. I use sync.com for my cloud storage. Very similar operation to dropbox and lower price. Plus they are based in Canada so one might feel better knowing their data would be a little more difficult to obtain by US law enforcement. Not that I have to worry about law enforcement, but some folks worry about stuff like that.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Another article that sums up a lot of what we've been criticizing Google about.

The Google Pixel 4 is the worst value phone in 2019
https://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Google-Pixel-4-is-the-worst-value-phone-in-2019_id119705

Wow. They really dunked on the Pixel 4. That is as scorching an article as I’ve seen on any Pixel phone to date - at least from a respected site.

I don’t really disagree with much of it actually, it’s just odd to see such plain speak without some form of equivocating on these reviews or articles. Wow.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
Wow. They really dunked on the Pixel 4. That is as scorching an article as I’ve seen on any Pixel phone to date - at least from a respected site.

I don’t really disagree with much of it actually, it’s just odd to see such plain speak without some form of equivocating on these reviews or articles. Wow.

^^^ TRUTH ^^^

I'm beginning to wonder if getting the P4 is a good idea right now - 🤔

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I really think we'll have to wait and see people's opinions once they actually have the devices. Many of the naysayers won't even buy these devices, and we won't know how actual owners like them until they've used them.

Agree. The Smartphone market is maturing. Not a lot of major changes happening. I think th 4XL looks like a solid phone. I just didn't see the need to change phones every 12 months.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I've had pixel 3 XL and loved the camera (amazing). But since the phone been announced, I've been gaging what other things and excitement around the phone and it feels that many are either not upgrading to pixel 4 now or just not interested.

I am in the camp of, meh, not really rushing to get it.

How about you?

I'm in the same camp. I thinks it's like that because of the "meh" specs compared to other phones in the same price range.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
^^^ TRUTH ^^^

I'm beginning to wonder if getting the P4 is a good idea right now - ??????

Never know. It'll be there soon right? I'm still thinking of getting it but I'm also considering the iPhone 11 and I don't have enough for both right now.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
Never know. It'll be there soon right? I'm still thinking of getting it but I'm also considering the iPhone 11 and I don't have enough for both right now.

P4 due here Wed. 10+ due here Mon. VISA statement arrived today............

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think google is being too stubborn with their pixel phones. They are being almost Apple like and that’s not good because Apple has stopped being Apple like (if that makes sense).

Users wanted;

-Smaller bezels and better screens. Google said no.
-expandable storage-was never good g to happen but at least offer more on board storage. Google said no, you’re good with 64 as a base and 128 max.
-wide angle lense-google could have offered this as part of a three camera system, but decided we don’t need a wide angle lense.
-better battery life-most egregious of all. Google not only didn’t deliver substantially better battery life, they even made the battery in the 3 smaller. Bad timing google. Samsung and Apple have stepped up in a major way on this front and google missing yet another year is a joke.
-horrible trade in value to entice users to upgrade. Samsung is offering hundreds more and apples resale value is the best in the industry. What google is offering is a slap in the face.
-6 gigs of ram. While I’m sure adequate, Samsung and one plus are offering up to 12.

The “meh” reaction is warranted. The only real upgrade here is soli radar and Face ID. Why should people be excited? Especially considering that many of the software camera upgrades are coming to the 3 series later this year.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
IMO, this will be the worst selling pixel of them all

Finally selling through AT&T might offset that though. That being said, their sales potential is certainly going to be hurt quite a bit by many of the questionable decisions they have made.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I think google is being too stubborn with their pixel phones. They are being almost Apple like and that’s not good because Apple has stopped being Apple like (if that makes sense).

Users wanted;

-expandable storage-was never good g to happen but at least offer more on board storage. Google said no, you’re good with 64 as a base and 128 max.
-wide angle lense-google could have offered this as part of a three camera system, but decided we don’t need a wide angle lense.
-better battery life-most egregious of all. Google not only didn’t deliver substantially better battery life, they even made the battery in the 3 smaller. Bad timing google. Samsung and Apple have stepped up in a major way on this front and google missing yet another year is a joke.
-horrible trade in value to entice users to upgrade. Samsung is offering hundreds more and apples resale value is the best in the industry. What google is offering is a slap in the face.
-6 gigs of ram. While I’m sure adequate, Samsung and one plus are offering up to 12.

The “meh” reaction is warranted. The only real upgrade here is soli radar and Face ID. Why should people be excited? Especially considering that many of the software camera upgrades are coming to the 3 series later this year.
AGREE. so low trade value means majority have nothing to push them to upgrade from pixel 3. And lack luster storage, no ultra wide, less than average battery life and a high price tag means Samsung and Apple users not going to convert. Not sure what Google is thinking

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Users wanted;

The 12 GB of RAM is purely for the sake of the specsheet. Nothing more.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Seems like more folks are "meh" for Pixel 4 than excited?

I agree. Folks seem to put a lot of emphasis on RAM but Apple still gets away with 4 GB of RAM on their iPhone 11 Pro devices here in 2019.

I agree 12 GB is overkill but it should have been 8GB just to future proof over the next year and given that it’s expensive phone and other Android flagships start at 8GB minimum. It’s useful or not, at least google needs to think in terms of marketing. You will get thrashed about not having 8GB ram or wide angle lens etc. This is all unnecessary distraction when they could have easily avoided. For me it doesn’t matter but I can completely understand where the complaints come from especially with the prices google is charging.

As far as Apple it’s a different story. It’s a different platform, optimizations are different and there isn’t anything else to compare in iOS. There is only iPhone and also iPhones performs great unlike the Pixel 3 which had constant complaints about performance from many members in various forums and every blogger/YouTuber.

I’m not saying putting 8 GB magically solves all issues but c’mon Google at least in terms of marketing you know you will get criticized if you put anything less than 8 GB for flagship prices. Sometimes it’s simple things which Google keeps stumbling on.

There was another thread which questioned are they doing it on purpose so that they don’t offend other Android OEMs for flagship hardware specs. I’m slowly coming around that and may be there is some truth to that.