Anyone coming from iPhone 7 or Plus?

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I am making the switch to Android (again) in the next few days when my 128gb Pixel XL arrives in the mail. I like my iPhone, but not because of the software. I love the speakers, camera and slight water resistance of my phone (that last one is more of a peace of mind thing) and am worried I will miss those a lot on the Pixel. I understand the camera on the Pixel is very good and mostly on par with the 7 Plus without the extra camera and can deal with the water resistance being gone. I am hoping for better reception as my iPhone 7 Plus does not get good reception on Verizon who I just switched to. Has anyone made the switch? Did you regret the choice or are you happy with it? Any tips? I am an Android veteran, in fact I may know more about Android than iOS so not like Android specific tips but more Pixel specific tips.

Thank you guys.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I switched from the 7 plus and couldn't be happier.

There is no waterproofing as you know. I do find the speaker is fine. Not as loud as the iPhone though and my signal has been fine.

Overall I am finding the pixel is better for me than the iPhone. The pixel is extremely fast and fluid. And 7.1.1 is fantastic. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oh. And the build quality is outstanding.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with areyes163.

I came from the iPhone 6s and the Pixel has been great. Handles whatever task I throw at it. As mentioned above, extremely fast and fluid! I personally find the Pixel camera to be much better than my iPhone was. Battery lasts longer on Pixel. Wasn't sure how I'd handle the fingerprint scanner on the back but it works out to be just fine. All around great phone. No complaints from me.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm debating between the Pixel XL and the iPhone 7 Plus. I've been on an iPhone 6s Plus since last December. While it has been a good phone, and I'm sure the 7 Plus would be, too, I'm just tired of the software. I hate how I can't set default apps, I can't use dictation on anything other than the stock keyboard, there is NO customization, notifications are still a cluster eff, and there's no real multitasking.

I'm subscribing to see what others have to say.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm debating between the Pixel XL and the iPhone 7 Plus. I've been on an iPhone 6s Plus since last December. While it has been a good phone, and I'm sure the 7 Plus would be, too, I'm just tired of the software. I hate how I can't set default apps, I can't use dictation on anything other than the stock keyboard, there is NO customization, notifications are still a cluster eff, and there's no real multitasking.

I'm subscribing to see what others have to say.

Your last sentence pretty much incorporated every reason why my sim stays in my Pixel XL and my 7 Plus has been collecting dust on my night stand.

The 7 Plus is a very impressive device. In fact, if it was based solely on hardware then it would be my device of choice. But its the little things with the software that just drive me insane with iOS.

The Pixel XL is a great device. Since you already have a 6S Plus I'd give it a try and if you don't like it you can always return it and go with the 7 Plus.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Your last sentence pretty much incorporated every reason why my sim stays in my Pixel XL and my 7 Plus has been collecting dust on my night stand.

The 7 Plus is a very impressive device. In fact, if it was based solely on hardware then it would be my device of choice. But its the little things with the software that just drive me insane with iOS.

The Pixel XL is a great device. Since you already have a 6S Plus I'd give it a try and if you don't like it you can always return it and go with the 7 Plus.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It seems like people make excuse after excuse for why Apple doesn't open up the OS a little more. While I do understand it, I don't think it gives me the best experience when it comes to my mobile device. I can't do anything to make it mine. Plus I use and prefer all of Google's services. They are still way ahead of Apple's, in my opinion. I have no desire to use Apple Maps, Apple Music, or really any other Apple service. And while I can use them on my iPhone, it is so much better on an Android phone. Also, something as simple as having current weather conditions on my lockscreen is IMPOSSIBLE on iOS. You still have to set a widget and swipe right to get to it, and then wait for it to update. Kind of clunky when I can have WeatherBug on my lockscreen and all I have to do is pick up my phone.

The more I look into it, the more I'm annoyed with Apple and iOS! Haha.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one! It seems like people make excuse after excuse for why Apple doesn't open up the OS a little more. While I do understand it, I don't think it gives me the best experience when it comes to my mobile device. I can't do anything to make it mine. Plus I use and prefer all of Google's services. They are still way ahead of Apple's, in my opinion. I have no desire to use Apple Maps, Apple Music, or really any other Apple service. And while I can use them on my iPhone, it is so much better on an Android phone. Also, something as simple as having current weather conditions on my lockscreen is IMPOSSIBLE on iOS. You still have to set a widget and swipe right to get to it, and then wait for it to update. Kind of clunky when I can have WeatherBug on my lockscreen and all I have to do is pick up my phone.

This is how I am feeling and have felt. I love the hardware and the phone absolutely flies. I do have an Apple Watch and love it and also use Mac's for my computer, mostly because Windows has always let me down, but I think Android and MacOS actually work well together. I use Google services quite a bit as well and tend to lean towards those over Apple's iCloud based services. The only thing with Android I have issues with is messaging. I am not a fan of SMS messaging. I recently switched to Verizon so I suppose I could try their message system. Does anyone have experience with the Verizon Messages+ app?

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Every couple weeks I'll get the itch and miss iOS but its the little things I notice in my day to day use that bring me right back. Google Assistant isn't a ground breaking feature by any means but I'm finding I get more use out of it than I thought I would and more than I ever did with Siri. Mainly "ok google, how is my commute to work". Or "ok google, how long to get to my daughter's school". "Ok Google, show me your boobies" is pretty funny but not real useful. But aside from the assistant, the built in search in the dialer is on thoughful touch that I've yet to seen on any other device. Instead of going to Google, searching for a number, and clicking on a link to dial you can search right from the phone app for whatever place it is you are looking to call. Not sure if that is present on the Nexus 6p on Marshmallow or not but I don't recall ever seeing it. Nice little touches like that make it a very enjoyable device to use.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

this is exactly why i have Android phone even though i have an ipad and a mac.
I feel all the pain u said using my ipad and sometime i feel its so limited.
I have been using the ipad for a long time. but when i switch i might get a chromebook convertible with android apps(hopefully someone release one soon). i think its time for a change.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Every couple weeks I'll get the itch and miss iOS but its the little things I notice in my day to day use that bring me right back. Google Assistant isn't a ground breaking feature by any means but I'm finding I get more use out of it than I thought I would and more than I ever did with Siri. Mainly "ok google, how is my commute to work". Or "ok google, how long to get to my daughter's school". "Ok Google, show me your boobies" is pretty funny but not real useful. But aside from the assistant, the built in search in the dialer is on thoughful touch that I've yet to seen on any other device. Instead of going to Google, searching for a number, and clicking on a link to dial you can search right from the phone app for whatever place it is you are looking to call. Not sure if that is present on the Nexus 6p on Marshmallow or not but I don't recall ever seeing it. Nice little touches like that make it a very enjoyable device to use.

Wow, didn't even know about that search trick on the phone dialer! That has to be an extremely useful tool, now I will use it! Learn something new every day

tbrady8

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Google Search has been part of the phone app since the Nexus 4/Kit Kat days. I know for the 6P it's always been there. It has to be enabled in settings, Nearby Places & Personalized Search Results.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
iOS is a joke. The widgets are terrible, and it seems the that Apple was overly concerned about dressing up iMessage than making iOS 10 more useful. My work phone is an iPhone and I joined the beta program for iOS 10. As soon as I downloaded the beta I knew I was never getting an iPhone 7. Android 7.1.1 is absolutely awesome and extremely useful on the Pixel. I don't care about water proofing or stereo speakers, I care about the user experience with the software and Pixel shines in every aspect.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Why would you do that? The design and functionality of the iPhone 7 Plus is so much better than the Pixel/Pixel XL.

You're downgrading and I don't understand why.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the 7 plus and couldn't be happier.

There is no waterproofing as you know. I do find the speaker is fine. Not as loud as the iPhone though and my signal has been fine.

Overall I am finding the pixel is better for me than the iPhone. The pixel is extremely fast and fluid. And 7.1.1 is fantastic. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oh. And the build quality is outstanding.

While it isn't the top of the line water resistance like the S7, this phone does have an IP53 rating which gives it some water resistance. If you look at some of the videos on YouTube at just how much resistance it actually has!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why would you do that? The design and functionality of the iPhone 7 Plus is so much better than the Pixel/Pixel XL.

You're downgrading and I don't understand why.

He explained the Pixel fits his needs more -- so therefore it isn't a downgrade for him ;).

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have both and will alternate. While iOS's notifications can be a jumbled mess, they're becoming increasingly better than what is on Android. Meaning the content is becoming more rich. I get a highlight video clip from Bleacher Report or MLB and I can view the video right in the notification, doesn't even launch the app. GA is smarter than Siri but Siri can read me text messages and emails, where GA can't (no idea why Google of all companies can't read the email). lol

kalinakara

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Tasker with location based profiles, Nova with jesture control, default app assignment, full featured keyboards with swipe, no iTunes garbage, notification light, Aqua mail app with its infinite customization options for your emails, fast charging and the list goes on and on and on.

Pixel gives you all that in the cleanest form. No carrier garbage, no manufacturer overlay os non sense. Good tech support built right into the OS. Fast security updates.

Oh and by the way, Pixel radios work better (in my experience). Downloads are faster, coverage is improved.

Last edited:

Blumini06

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I was playing with iPhone 7 Plus from Apple Store and making comparison with my Pixel. I must say that I am learning that iPhone seems slower in terms of browsing and scrolling through websites. While the Pixel seems more fluid and so snappy scrolling. A friend of mine who own a 7 plus was amazed about my pixel being so snappy. That was his wording as well.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
One of each. Best of both. Variety is what I like. They are both excellent for what they each are capable of . Choice is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez