EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

aruth09

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I love my touchstones and have them at work, home, and in the car. Now I have a charger docs that you slide it on. I lookced at the PowerMats but I am actually just fine with the docks.

Not without rooting. Try the
4887d1292344409-getting-started-android-tips-tricks-battery-status-notification-widget.png
Battery Status. It works fine for me.

I just want a clean bat percent in my status bar. And no more bat icon. Guess ill have to wait till I can root this baby

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group For Palm webOS Users

Like so many of you, I got a Pre on launch day. I got an unlocked Pre 2 from Palm at a developer event last fall and carried both around with me until a few months ago when I got my Sprint radio swapped into the Pre 2, AKA Frankenpre. Even with the faster phone, I was starting to have issues with stuff, such as email. Before this I had to get my pre replaced 2 or 3 times due to hardware failures.

I still think webOS is very intuitive and the web developer in me loves the idea of a platform based almost entirely on web standards, but I eventually became convinced that Sprint would not carry the Pre 3, and finally decided to jump ship. Maybe I'll eventually go back if HP is successful in making a comeback with webOS, but I'm unfortunately doubtful. It's taken then over a year to get to where they are now - JUST coming out with new devices. It's just been a very slow and bumpy road since HP took over and I just don't understand why. HP was supposed to bring "scale" with it's 300K employees, but apparently few of these people ended up being added to Palm because it seems they are still overwhelmed trying to get these devices out when they were slated for - which was a pretty long wait to begin with.

As for the Evo 3D, I'm really enjoying it on the one hand, and on the other a bit overwhelmed. Coming from the webOS world, things were small enough to where you could keep track of the best apps out there, the various homebrew patches, etc., fairly easily. Going from that to Android feels a big like going from a kiddy pool to the Atlantic Ocean! I feel like I need to take a month off work so that I can go through various apps and settings every day just to get some semblence of an idea of what I can do with the phone but also how best to organize it and use it for my purposes. And that's without even rooting!

One question I had was whether there was something akin to Modeswitcher, the homebrew app that lets you switch modes based on various settings. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to have the Pre open some apps (and close others), change some network connectivity settings, volume settings, etc., based on the phone finding itself in a certain geographical area. At least when it worked. There seemed to be issues with it and it was always a kind of work in progress, and there's been little done with it for many months now, but I'd heard there might be similar apps for Android available.

The webOS community was great and very tightknit as well, and I'm still keeping in touch with them on Twitter, but maybe us defectors need to band together and maintain a kind of similar group, since I haven't quite seen this in the Android community - probably because it's so big as to be kind of besides the point!

Reactions: dbuss and crholt

dondizzle87

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I to am recovering from webos, I really miss how webos worked but I didn't want a phone anymore that was 2 years old plus my phone fell in beer so I waited for the Evo 3d to launch Im happy but I miss webos

captainobvious4

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I've had the EVO 3D since Wednesday (got an early release one for being premier with sprint) and while on one hand I LOVE it, on the other hand i do miss how tight knit the precentral.net core fans were. I really look forward to a great couple years with Android!

basegod

May 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm also a recovering Pre (WebOS) user that has recently switched to the EVO3D (Android). I've had the phone for a few days and I like you can do everything plus more then what you could do on WebOS, yet it takes alot longer (so many steps). I guess I was spoiled by the intuitiveness of WebOS.

A few days out of the week I work in Sunnyvale and I pass by the Palm(HP) headquarters and shake my head. So much potential wasted :'(

Also, I miss the battery percentage...and I always have a strong urge to use gestures on the EVO3D...gotta break his habbit

chrish421

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I frequently use my phone while driving. With the pre it was a snap to look up a contact and dial with one hand. Can someone comment on the easiest way to do this on the Evo?

Same here i have been using the voice feature a lot, nice way to call and text while driving

mjsmiley

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

This is the exact thread I was looking for. I was reluctant to convert over from webOS because I loved its core features, I was just tired of its dismal growth. But seeing there are oddball add on apps to simulate my main interest of Cards is very pleasing. My Evo arrives today...can't wait!

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

It's amazing to see how many original Sprint Pre owners have converted to the Evo 3D. I love mine, so many great apps, my Slingbox, MLB At Bat, et. al.
I'm getting used to Android and an onscreen keyboard, but I love this phone.
And the 3D camera kicks butt!

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com

I'm a happy convert.

The hardest part was getting used to the power button working. For the last year, I've been sliding my Pre open to turn it on, so I'm instinctively pinching my Evo 3D when I first grab it.

kp8311

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I am a current Sprint Pre- user who was planning to convert to the Evo 3D until I remembered Sprint's $10 Monthly Premium Data Charge.

I would not consider myself a heavy smartphone user, I use my phone for facebook, maps, Jogstas and mp3 player (which is also why I'm scared to upgrade to the Evo 3d due to size while strapped to my arm) and random internetting when bored,

I 'modded' and overclocked my last Pre- to use Webos 2.0, but since that one broke I am back to whatever Webos 1.x version they are using on the minuses, I am excited to play with Android's mods and widgets.

The Netflix app really excites me, but is it really feasable to watch a movie on a 4.3" screen with a poor speaker?

Is the $10 monthly charge and $200 (plus accessories) really worth the upgrade?

Thank you.

Bulletpig#AC

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

Wife and I got our evo 3D's on the 24th.

Both of us love the new phone but there are some things we do miss from our Pre's. I guess just give it some time to get used to.

I still find myself swipping up to close an app though LOL.

davim00

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

I am absolutely in love with this phone. I was a little sad when I powered off my Pre after getting the Evo 3D yesterday, but haven't thought of it since. Still getting used to the new OS, switching between apps and whatnot, but holy crap is it just amazing. SO GLAD I've made the switch.
On HTC Sense you can also just swipe the top bar down and see all your running apps above the notification area. Pretty cool and almost as quick as webOS cards.

sfumato

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm finally giving up on WebOS. Just ordered an Evo3D since the touchscreen on my (3rd) Pre- decided to stop working yesterday. Still pulling for HPalm; hoping for some WebOS awesomeness next year when I'm up for an upgrade again, but for now... might as well go for top of the line, right?

ChasDROID

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery Percentage

I'm also a recovering Pre (WebOS) user that has recently switched to the EVO3D (Android). I've had the phone for a few days and I like you can do everything plus more then what you could do on WebOS, yet it takes alot longer (so many steps). I guess I was spoiled by the intuitiveness of WebOS.

A few days out of the week I work in Sunnyvale and I pass by the Palm(HP) headquarters and shake my head. So much potential wasted :'(

Also, I miss the battery percentage...and I always have a strong urge to use gestures on the EVO3D...gotta break his habbit
Hello

Fomer PRE Owner......... Found about everything I need that I had on my PRE

I'm using "battery staus" for the battery percentage

ChasDROID

thatguy7#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I too am a Palm convert. I'm still finding my way, but am thoroughly enjoying this thread.

I hope to have more input in this thread soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress