Evo 3d vs. Nexus S 4g Video (side by side)

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
All that is stuff that Tasker can do already though (note that in the video he points out you can run Tasker tags, that's because Tasker is basically a beefed up version of that)

Yes you can't do a swipe to initiate it, but Tasker has like 10 kajillion triggers already, anything I could possibly use a NFC to trigger I can set a Tasker to do without having to buy an NFC card lol

OK, clearly you have your mind made up already, but there are differences and improvement. For example, in tasker, if you want it to recognize your car, you would need to enter in the specific coordinates of where your car is located and you would need to go to that same location to get the desired effect. However, what happens if you go somewhere else, maybe you cannot find your same parking space, then what - back to manual? Maybe you are on a road trip or vacation, those specific coordinates you entered would not be too useful. Or maybe you can set it up by time, but what if you work late, or go out, what if your are working late and you forgot that tasker will change your settings automatically, etc. What if you are at a friends house, etc. Tasker is nice, but the NFC capability is definately an upgrade. With NFC, anytime and anywhere you are in your car, wherever you may park, or wherever you have your chip, maybe on a key chain, you can instantly change your settings the way you like it without haveing to enter them manually.

I can only speak for myself, but my life is not so organized that I only arrive at certain places at certain specific times or only park at the same exact places. Sometimes, variety is nice, or not even a choice, and NFC allows for such variety with minimal actions.

Last edited:

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it's not nifty, I'm saying that until it has uses that a 5 doller app can't replicate, I'm not going to get very excited about it, that's all :)

I have a tasker for my car, it's based on plugging into my car charger :shrug:

Similarly for home and work, when I'm in range of specific wifi networks it goes into my desired mode

So again, there's no situation I can think of that nfc does something I can't already do (as of yet)

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it's not nifty, I'm saying that until it has uses that a 5 doller app can't replicate, I'm not going to get very excited about it, that's all :)

I have a tasker for my car, it's based on plugging into my car charger :shrug:

Similarly for home and work, when I'm in range of specific wifi networks it goes into my desired mode

So again, there's no situation I can think of that nfc does something I can't already do (as of yet)
Well, I am not sure what, if any, effects charging your phone every time you drive, whether you need it or not, has on the battery. However, I would prefer not to do that - unless, i actually need my phone charged. Nevertheless, this is just one example. There are more, for example NFC's can be used as coupons or as means of exchanging money between two NFC phones - I am NOT endorsing gambling, but, who really caries cash anymore, so let's say you bet five dollars on a game with a friend, you could use your NFC equipped phones to transfer $5, without having to go the bank and use an ATM machine (perhaps, no ATM charges too).

Oh well, you raised decent points, but I still think that NFC already has more real world usability than 3d, which hurts after a while, and more future growth potential as well. In other words, I would not be so cavalier as to dismiss it so easily.

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Lol look one page back ;-)

I'm a huge fan of nfc, but right now it's useless in north america. I mentioned everything you said and more, my most recent comments uwere made solely about nexus s's "nfc tag launcher" app not nfc on the whole

Edit: lol after re reading your post it's actually pretty funny how similar it was to mine on the first page xD

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the nexus S for a month before i switched to EVO 3d. Everyone will have their opinion and that is why you should always try the phone yourself and not let anyone tell you otherwise.

If my opinion counts for anything it is that I dont know why people love AMOLED so much, yes on paper its good, yes it has vibrant colors. Yes it is nice, but really, is Qhd really that bad? I fricking love this screen, I really honestly prefer Qhd, the colors are much more natural, the screen is hands down beautiful and I really dont know if my jaw ever dropped when I used Amoled, yes it is good, but if you use the two personally you would easily forget amoled when you use evo for a week or so.

Now to the build quaility, it is obvious the nexus looks nicer, nobody can argue that fact. But is build quality really that great it is plastic after all and I dont like the curved head phone jack. The stupid thing never works right if you put a case on.

On to the speed. Yes nexus is pretty fast, but use it for a month and if you dont restart the thing it will lag. Yes it might launch the gmail app faster, but within the app going from one email to another the animations stutter and it happens in bunch of apps. I had the nexus not respond randomaly for a few seconds when I used it heavily. Like clicking on an app and animation will freeze for like 3-4 seconds. If you restart it will be fine for a few hours but it starts happening after the phone has been on for a while.

Did I hate the phone, no, absolutely not. I do however think that the phone is not as smooth as the video makes it out to be. I have not had any lag on the evo after being on for 2-3 days.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Had the Nexus S, thought it felt cheap, plastic just like most Samsung phones. Amoled is overrated when compared to qhd screens. Bought the EVO 3D and couldn't be happier. Just a better phone all the way around. Let me add, one reason the Nexus S went back was because it couldn't perform the basic phone functions. Too many calls weren't coming and there were too many times where I couldn't call out. And this is in an area that other Sprint phones have full bars.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think its cool if we step back and feel lucky that we have these 2 powerhouses to choose from on sprint :p

That being said, I saved my upgrade and bought the ns4g off Craigslist. Who knows what's coming out soon. :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
@nkd. On paper, no in real life, the super amoled (sp) screen is nice - there is a reason people praise the screen. Now this does not mean that the qHd screen is bad. In fact, both have their strengths; thus, in the end, both are nice screens and the winners are both users.

In regards to the cover and phone jack - what do you mean? I have a Nexus S 4g with a cover - no problems at all. Maybe you purchased a Nexus S cover for your Nexus S 4g phone or just a bad cover.

I am still within my 30 days and so am still deciding. For me, I love the power of the Evo 3d and Sense 3.0 looks nice, but am not excited about the 3d, kind of a waste and hurts, the battery life, the fact it is running an older version Gingerbread, and now there seems to be some issues with the Bluetooth with some users. In regards to the Nexus s 4g, I like the battery life, free tethering, am intrigued by the NFC chip, but am dissapointed in its power. Also, there seems to be some antenna issues with other users - though so far it seems to be OK with my experiences.

Last edited:

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, the fact that its even such a close comparison with the 3D and an NS4G phone that came out last year in itself is pretty disappointing.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I had the NS4G for a few weeks before I got the 3D. I still sometimes miss the sexy nexus. My brother just got the nexus and every once in a while I find myself admiring it. The NS4G is just a sleeker device. Despite that it has a plastic feel to it, it still felt good in my hand.

I am a huge fan of the 4.3 inch screen on the Evos, but it was just a tad bit refreshing to have a slightly smaller phone in my pocket. I kind of like to think of it like the iphone. Very clean and minimal compared to the aggressive and busy design of the 3D.

Obviously the NS4G screen is better by most peoples standards, but the 3Ds aint bad..Like some of you said, it is more natural. Sometimes those superduper amoled screens look tooo vivid, and for some reason we tend to associate that with better, but it is not natural. Only thing I for sure will miss about the NS4g screen will be the true blacks.

My complaints with the NS4g lie with its radio issues, and at times it felt laggy when browsing the internet.
NS4G cam is better, but that is no surprise. And even though it is a 6 month old device, it will have the newest software upgrades from google.
But the 3D has the latest and greatest hardware..I will take my chances and hope the development community can get me the latest software.

chevyboxer

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I had the NS4G for 26 days. I liked the pure google but I realize I can get that once the 3D gets rooted. Put simply I wanted the fastest craziest phone out right now on sprint. That is the EVO 3D. The build quality of the 3D feels better. The NS4G felt like a fake phone and was too plasticy. It really felt cheap in my hand. I also hated how the lock button was on the other side from the volume button. Also having the lock button on the side was odd to me. I locked the phone while I was in the middle of something in landscape countless times. As of right now I am happier with the 3D

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the NS4G for 26 days. I liked the pure google but I realize I can get that once the 3D gets rooted. Put simply I wanted the fastest craziest phone out right now on sprint. That is the EVO 3D. The build quality of the 3D feels better. The NS4G felt like a fake phone and was too plasticy. It really felt cheap in my hand. I also hated how the lock button was on the other side from the volume button. Also having the lock button on the side was odd to me. I locked the phone while I was in the middle of something in landscape countless times. As of right now I am happier with the 3D

I am in complete agreement about the (mis)placement of the on/off button - bad placement. In regards to the rest, I respectfully disagree to an extent. Both phones feel nice, but I did like the weight of the Evo 3d. Nevertheless, over all, I am leaning toward keeping my Nexus S. I like pure Google, Sense 3.0 is very nice, but I'd rather keep up to date with Google OS. Then there are features such as the NFC chip, for example, that seems more useful then 3d in the long run. I suppose, one can root the Evo, to act like a Nexus, but bah. To bad HTC went with 3d, it would have been nicer if they just improved on the original 4g and offered Sense Light.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non