No Incoming Calls While Surfing the Internet

amanchor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone.. Big fan of the EVO here but I have one issue that just popped up. I did a search, couldn't find anything, so I apologize if this has been brought up.

After several people asked, "What's wrong with your phone?" when trying to call me, I decided to do a little investigating. Turns out when any kind of update or internet surfing is going on, (i.e. 3G icon is illuminated), I can't get any calls, and it goes straight to voicemail. Once the 3G arrows go off, I can get calls again. It's pretty annoying and I seem to be missing a lot of calls because of it. Any ideas??

Thanks!

Mr. Berry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Worked on mine, with and without the 3g "arrows" didn't let me continue surfing while on the call though. Then I switched to 4g and did talk and surf at the same time.

Last edited:

airdog

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Not 100% sure but I think that surfing on the Internet and making calls only works with 4G since they are using different radios in the phone. The 3G data signal also uses the same radio that calls are made on (kinda why it never worked before until 4G came around).

Mr. Berry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
not 100% sure but i think that surfing on the internet and making calls only works with 4g since they are using different radios in the phone. The 3g data signal also uses the same radio that calls are made on (kinda why it never worked before until 4g came around).

exactly!!

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I just tried calling myself while reloading this page and call came through. 4g is disabled so was on 3g

thevumeister

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Go to Menu-setting-call......make sure DDTM mode is uncheck. That should allow calls going through when you're surfing the net or doing anything with 3G.

thevumeister

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
sprint says surfing and calls only with 4g, period.

The OP just questioned about why he's not receiving calls when he uses 3G. He didn't say anything about surfing and talking at the same time. Off course you can not surf and talk at the same time with 3G. All calls should go through when you're on 3G. It just stop 3G and allow you to take the calls.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty straightforward people, the way it is supposed to work is this:

If you are on 3G, and you are using data, an incoming call will STOP all 3G data and disconnect you, allowing you to answer the phone call. Once the call is complete, the phone will re-establish the 3G connection and resume data usage.

If you are on 4G or Wi-fi, data will continue in the background while the call comes in.

That is how it is supposed to work, and how it DOES work on every CDMA phone I've owned, including my EVO.

amanchor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone. I tried the "DDTM mode" and the prompt was already unchecked.. Maybe it is just a "data call waiting" tie up and will resolve itself?!?! We can only hope!

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Confussed

Ok 1st only in 4g can u talk and use the internet at the same time. On 3g WHILE using the internet it stops all activities to answere the call and can not use the internet till you end the call

ben dover

May 25, 2010
Visit site
why is everyone bashing it out about 3G vs 4G while on a call. the original question is simple. as stated:
"3G icon is illuminated"... "I can't get any calls, and it goes straight to voicemail. Once the 3G arrows go off, I can get calls again

in this case 4G has nothing to do with this issue.

seem like the phone is choosing the 3G data connection over the phone calls and pushing them to voicemail. this setting is DDTM mode as posted earlier.

I would make sure it's unchecked and reboot the phone. not sure why it's still not working for ya.

amanchor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure your in a 3g area? The phone displays 3g even in a 1x data area.
The EVO will not receive calls if 1x data is happening.

Sadly, I think that's my problem. I do live in a 1x area.. On my Pre, it was displayed as 1x... I went on vacation for a little while, got the Evo, came back home and saw the 3g icon and thought "yes! my town got upgraded while I was gone!" I didn't know the 3g icon still shows up in 1x areas.

So now, is there a way around this? Are all phones this way that they can't get calls during 1x data transmission? I thought I could get calls on the Pre while surfing....

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, I think that's my problem. I do live in a 1x area.. On my Pre, it was displayed as 1x... I went on vacation for a little while, got the Evo, came back home and saw the 3g icon and thought "yes! my town got upgraded while I was gone!" I didn't know the 3g icon still shows up in 1x areas.

So now, is there a way around this? Are all phones this way that they can't get calls during 1x data transmission? I thought I could get calls on the Pre while surfing....

There may be a dial code setting for this. I know there was a thread on here with a ton of dial codes to access phone settings but this should def be able to work.

1X almost acts like a phone call and should be able to be interrupted. Years ago there were specific settings for this when this type of data connection was all the rage. I hope it wasn't "forgotten" in the Evo.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
there is a setting to send calls to VM when using data. i believe it was mentioned earlier -- DDTM mode.

settings > call > DDTM mode (send voice calls to voicemail during active data connection)

amanchor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
there is a setting to send calls to VM when using data. i believe it was mentioned earlier -- DDTM mode.

settings > call > DDTM mode (send voice calls to voicemail during active data connection)

I looked at that and I want to do the opposite! (It's unchecked BTW on my Evo.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaplogo