I am returning my HTC One (M8). Are you?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That's cool and all, but let's not go questioning someone's photography expertise because of the camera HTC chose to put on their flagship phone. It's just comes off as a little silly. It's not hard to take a good pic on a smartphone ( if the camera and software allows it ). Aim, focus and shoot.

A lot of people talk like they have vast photography knowledge. Saying things like 4mp isn't enough to get a good picture, that right there shows how much knowledge they have about photography.

Taking a good picture with any camera is so much more than aim, focus, shoot. That's like saying painting a good picture is easy, just pick up a brush, dip it in paint, and brush it on the canvas

Also, photography and art are completely subjective. What looks good to one, might look bad to another

Posted via Android Central App

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people talk like they have vast photography knowledge. Saying things like 4mp isn't enough to get a good picture, that right there shows how much knowledge they have about photography.

Taking a good picture with any camera is so much more than aim, focus, shoot. That's like saying painting a good picture is easy, just pick up a brush, dip it in paint, and brush it on the canvas

Also, photography and art are completely subjective. What looks good to one, might look bad to another

Well, actually, 4 megapixels isn't enough if you're doing any kind of cropping at all.

Sent using AC Forums mobile app

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I really hate how people bullied HTC into on screen buttons. Why does everyone prefer them? Capacitives work just as well, can be incorporated into the bezel and don't eat up your usable screen area. Capacitive buttons are dirt cheap. Why waste expensive LCD pixels? It's just stupid IMO.

Sent from using AC Forums mobile app

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I can only really compare the camera to the four previous smartphones I've had.
iPhone 3g, HTC Desire, SG2 and Note2.
All of them had dreadful cameras in one way or another (generally too slow to focus in anything but bright sunlight)
In comparison the M8 camera is awesome ultrapixels or not.
I'm hoping some software updates will fix the bright light issue but I'm more than happy with the resolution because I don't crop or zoom with a phone.
The speed and the user friendliness are the camera's strengths IMHO.
I expect 99% of people buying phones don't care if a camera is 4MP or 41MP as long as it produces decent enough results reliably enough.
And although it's never going to put a DSLR out of work it's good enough for what a lot of people want.

All in all though, if you want lot's of megapixels buy a phone that provides them, if you don't care about megapixels like it seems some on here don't (me included) then the M8 has a decent camera.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I hated the capacitive buttons on my Samsung phones.
Always accidentally triggering them and they weren't always very responsive.
I much prefer on screen buttons.

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
I really hate how people bullied HTC into on screen buttons. Why does everyone prefer them? Capacitives work just as well, can be incorporated into the bezel and don't eat up your usable screen area. Capacitive buttons are dirt cheap. Why waste expensive LCD pixels? It's just stupid IMO.

I dont think anyone "bullied" HTC into on screen buttons. If anyone did though, it was Google who mandated them as part of Androids design language. I have a Xperia Z1 Compact with a 4.3 Inch screen and it has on screen buttons. They are a joy to use. When not needed, they hide themselves and are always a swipe away from re-appearing.

Of course, liking them or not liking them is strictly a personal taste issue. What isn't debatable is, if you don't like them, your choices are narrowing by the day.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. This thread has once again been cleaned up. If you don't care for the thread or a post, then just move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, please report it.

I suggest that those participating here avail themselves of the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the forum rules. Violations will be dealt with accordingly. Rest assured, this thread has garnered the attention of the moderator team.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Up until last week, I had a Nexus 5 (which I gave to my wife so I could get the M8). The pictures on the M8 aren't that bad in comparison to the Nexus 5. It's at least good enough for my uses, but I don't do anything special with my pics except post them once in a while. I had a Galaxy S4 last year and that thing took great pictures, much better than the M8 from what I could tell. But again, M8 camera is good enough for my purposes; the pictures come out nice and clear so far and I do like the camera software.

My biggest thing, and it's what I use my phone for most, is that the music sounds great over a pair of headphones. And I use the speakers all the time in my office to listen to music while I'm working. In that respect, it is MUCH better than the Nexus 5, in my opinion.

([inappropriate content deleted by moderator] - I've also had a Note 2, which was one of my favorite phones and may get the Note 4 later this year. And the Galaxy S5, especially with reports that its screen tests as the best out there, has really peaked my interest.)

Agreed. As an x nexus 5 owner I found the m8 camera on par... The front speakers sense 6 and software specifically the camera software seperate the m8 in to another dimention.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think people are sticking up for what you call a poor camera, most people are saying that the camera is good enough for them and what they will use it for.

Ice
Exactly. If you're just looking to share on facebook or instagram it's probably fine. If you want images you're going to actually retain or print in a book for grandparents, this might not be the device for you.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. If you're just looking to share on facebook or instagram it's probably fine. If you want images you're going to actually retain or print in a book for grandparents, this might not be the device for you.

Even when printing, I saw that somebody calculated that one could print a 5x9 with over 300ppi resolution. So it'll even be fine for printing smaller pics

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Even when printing, I saw that somebody calculated that one could print a 5x9 with over 300ppi resolution. So it'll even be fine for printing smaller pics

Yeah the resolution is fine as long as you have a decent shot that doesn't need to be cropped at all.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I dont think anyone "bullied" HTC into on screen buttons. If anyone did though, it was Google who mandated them as part of Androids design language. I have a Xperia Z1 Compact with a 4.3 Inch screen and it has on screen buttons. They are a joy to use. When not needed, they hide themselves and are always a swipe away from re-appearing.

Of course, liking them or not liking them is strictly a personal taste issue. What isn't debatable is, if you don't like them, your choices are narrowing by the day.

I don't know. I have a One and a GS4 and I can't tell any difference between them and the capacitives on my One X that I still love and use for the great battery life (got a 2100mh battery mod in it). The on screen buttons just waste space.

And I think HTC was very much bullied by the public into making this phone, or at least they listened to popular demand.

People wanted a 5" screen, on screen buttons and an SD slot so that's what HTC gave us.

Last edited:

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know. I have a One and a GS4 and I can't tell any difference between them and the capacities on my One X that I still love and use for the great battery life (got a 2100mh battery mod in it). The on screen buttons just waste space.

And I think HTC was very much bullied by the public into making this phone, or at least they listened to popular demand.

People wanted a 5" screen, on screen buttons and an SD slot so that's what HTC gave us.

Sent from my One X using AC Forums mobile app

People also wanted a better camera with regular megapixels and htc didn't deliver on that.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I like the onscreen buttons much better. I do not like the Galaxy set up at all. However, if HTC is going to have the bezel, they might as well use it. I think soft keys are decent. Just make the HTC logo the home button. I was not a fan of the two button set up on the original.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Haven't read the entire thread, but here's my two cents and two points:

1. I'm a professional photographer and although I wish it had 6 or 8 megapixels the low megapixel count doesn't bother me at all. First of all out of the 1000's of pictures I've taken with my Evo LTE I've never printed a single one. Having the phone which takes decent but not great shots is nice and convenient, but doesn't come close to what I can take with my Canon. If HTC had gone 16mp or more like what Samsung has done I'd actually be less likely to buy it. All it would mean to me is bigger file sizes with little or no return in picture quality.

2. I think there's a lot of wasted space by moving the buttons on screen. Either leaven them next to the HTC Logo or get rid of the HTC logo so the phone isn't so long. If they want to keep the HTC logo I'm sure they could have burned the logo into the bottom speaker then you could have a smaller phone with the same screen size.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

1. I'm a professional photographer and although I wish it had 6 or 8 megapixels the low megapixel count doesn't bother me at all. First of all out of the 1000's of pictures I've taken with my Evo LTE I've never printed a single one. Having the phone which takes decent but not great shots is nice and convenient, but doesn't come close to what I can take with my Canon. If HTC had gone 16mp or more like what Samsung has done I'd actually be less likely to buy it. All it would mean to me is bigger file sizes with little or no return in picture quality.

2. I think there's a lot of wasted space by moving the buttons on screen. Either leaven them next to the HTC Logo or get rid of the HTC logo so the phone isn't so long. If they want to keep the HTC logo I'm sure they could have burned the logo into the bottom speaker then you could have a smaller phone with the same screen size.

I completely agree with you on the camera.

The black bar with the HTC logo isn't there for branding, it's there to cover circuitry, antennas, and other electronics. They chose this route to make the phone thinner overall. Definitely a trade-off, make it shorter or thinner

You can still not like it, just figured I clarify this for you.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Great thread. Instead of rushing out to pick one up...now I don't mind waiting.

You can definitely have your own opinion, but mine is that you will be missing out on an amazing device

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Also a professional photographer and I agree with you. To many people are misinformed of mp. In fact if I'm shooting an event or something I'll cut down the file quality to mRAW or sRAW to save space on my cf card.

Tapin and Talkin on my Gold iPhone 5s